Why become a member? ×

Nile Rogers & Chic at Glasto: On BBC 4 now!

TRBboy

Chic are a long way from my comfort zone musically, but I thought the performance was fantastic, Mrs 2611 and I were really impressed, she freely admits that sometimes she struggles to pick out the bass line in a song but even she commented on how good the bass player sounded last night....believe me that was praise indeed!

[quote name='fretmeister' timestamp='1372462432' post='2126197']
Don't think so. I think it's an Atelier Z DAL model

[url="http://www.atelierz.co.jp/english/product/bass/dal/index.html"]http://www.atelierz..../dal/index.html[/url]
[/quote]

I was thinking exactly the same

Watching it now on iplayer, couldn't stay awake last night. :(

They killed it...sure there was a little overplaying but that helps get the audience energised. Jerry Barnes does his own thing as a bass player, it would be wrong to compare him to Bernard as tempting as it is.

Jerry also makes that bass look like a guitar on most people! BIG bad mother...;)

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1372499961' post='2126433']
What? You couldn't FEEL him? :)

Loved his line on We Are Family...the timing of each note was impeccable...
[/quote]
I just watched the clip and it reminded me of why I dont like Flea on a Jazz live either, it always leaves me thinking how much bigger yet just as defined on the slap/treble notes it would be. Flea is my hero but I hate his live sound generally for the same reasons. The groove was quite Chilis in the clip too IMO, I know Nile did it first but I felt a bit of a full circle of funk right there :) band name maybe.....hhmm circle of funk....

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372500453' post='2126442']I felt a bit of a full circle of funk right there :) band name maybe.....hhmm circle of funk....
[/quote]
Or the clear spot of floor in a teenagers bedroom...?

Edited by Kiwi
more quote

Rays are fine, but remember Bernard also used a Precision and gawd help us a BC Rich Eagle, and still sounded like Bernard.

To me that was an absolutely top-class performance by great musicians at the very top of their game. I agree with nottswarwick.

Just heard it this morning, on my TV the Bass was pumping through, loads of bottom end, and crisp highs....
He was over playing the up slides and shakes a bit - but hey, it was top live entertainment and fun.
Nile Rodgers was terrific..!!
Great show all round.

Garry

I thought the engr who got that sound into the TV recording did a pretty fine job.
That scooped jazz sound can go missing but I can't say it was missing at all last night.

Can't understand what people can't hear as it is all THERE, IMO.

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1372504286' post='2126512']
The bottom end and the clarity of the fills......
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KUL9-eNXzQ[/media]
[/quote]

The audio isn't recorded off that appearance. :) Its off the album.

I just tried to watch the concert on bbc iplayer, to do this I had to turn my sons fireman Sam off, at which point he promptly lost his s!#t at the sight of Chic, and screamed "no daddy, no watch Milli Vanilli".... What the hell???? He's two years old and I'm sure he has no clue who they are as we have never mentioned them. Way too funny!!!