Why become a member? ×

I think Basschat has a limited future :(

xilddx

.. unless you listen to, and encourage your fellow musicians, by listening to their compositions and voting in the Basschat monthly composition challenge. It was started in October last year by Charic, and the music is fascinating, a unique insight into the minds of your fellow members. We are here because of music, music needs to survive, musicians need your support in order to help music to survive. Music is the best.

Listen and vote here http://basschat.co.uk/topic/210888-june-composition-competition-voting-time/

And apologies and respect to 'dad' who posted an awesome thread about this challenge :)

I'm off to see some naked female bassists :D

It would be great if the enthusiasm for the composition competition was also transferred to more music in the 'Recordings' forum. I put up a link a month or so back to a fabulous EP by Jigster's post-rock band Those Among Us Are Wolves and only two BCers commented. Yet there are endless pages of largely repetitive, pointless debate on Flea v Wooten, Fender vs non-Fender etc. Come on BassChat, raise your game!

Ps here's TAUAW http://basschat.co.uk/topic/205809-recommended-post-rock-ep-from-bcer-jigsters-band-those-among-us-are-wolves/

Edited by Clarky

Nige: I like your tactics and couldn't agree more with the sentiment.

Clarky: ditto.

I know you're both active in the Recording forum yourselves, but I feel like I should say cheers anyway. So cheers!

New music is what really makes this community shine in my opinion :)

This (currently fully clothed) female bass player has been plugging the comps on Twitter.
I'll start plugging the Recording subforum in its entirety as well. Thing is, not all our Twitter followers are actually BC members, so I think it'd be nice for the comp and the subforum to be plugged on Facebook too, as more of those followers are BC members too.

Edited by bluejay

Hear hear to all of the above!
Until Dad's nudist thread (:)) I'd never really checked out the recordings bit. Now I will as it's amazing to hear what the people we chat with sound like.
In fact there's so much good music in the running this month that it's inspiring me to dig out the digi 4-track I bought about 6 months ago and still haven't got around to using.
It's great to chat about music but you're right, it's only worthwhile if we make as much as we talk (well, personally speaking that is. Been so busy with our new baby I've hardly played at all this year. Great and easy to talk about it though! ;)
Right, the mission is to enter the competition myself sometime and keep on listening to and voting for my
fellow BCers!

Cheeoz,

Si.

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372287803' post='2123995']
Edited for removal of waffly nonsensical bollocks.
[/quote]

Could you show me how to do that, please..? I didn't know it was possible, and it would considerably reduce my post count. Thanks in advance... :mellow:

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1372289180' post='2124015']
Could you show me how to do that, please..? I didn't know it was possible, and it would considerably reduce my post count. Thanks in advance... :mellow:
[/quote]
To the left of the"Multiquote" button there is a greyed out button that says "Edit" - click on that & it allows you to edit your post. There's also a "delete" button for when editing simply isn't enough. I've demonstrated this by deleting my edited post. :)

Edited by RhysP

[quote name='RhysP' timestamp='1372289352' post='2124016']
To the left of the"Multiquote" button there is a greyed out button that says "Edit" - click on that & it allows you to edit your post. There's also a "delete" button for when editing simply isn't enough. I've demonstrated this by deleting my edited post. :)
[/quote]

Thanks for the useful tip, but it's the... [quote]removal of waffly nonsensical bollocks.[/quote] ...that I can't seem to manage. Never mind, at least I'm trying... :mellow:

Ok, I like veiwing everyone's band links and live clips , but I've not got involved with this yet.

So I did listen to most of the sound clips last night, and found it hard to vote, if I do I think it would be very random

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1372312941' post='2124072']
I usually check bc on my phone these days so I can't really listen to anyone's recordings. :-(
[/quote]

Plus one! I'm usually checking Basschat on my work commute and trying to navigate the forum with the patchy (at best!) 3G so recordings are a no-go for me.

[quote name='miles'tone' timestamp='1372287023' post='2123986']Until Dad's nudist thread ( :)) I'd never really checked out the recordings bit. Now I will as it's amazing to hear what the people we chat with sound like.
[/quote]

Me too! It's fascinating! But, whereas I can type out some banal comment while "busy" doing other things, I can't listen to music - no matter who has composed it. But when I get time to sit down with my pipe and slippers it is indeed very humbling to hear just how talented some of our members are. Well done you guys!! B)

The problem with the voting is that I wouldn't feel able to vote until I'd listened to all of the recordings all the way through - and that takes a significant amount of time.

But yes, in reply to the OP, the future of this forum is in peril. Once all the talented composers get busy with their music they will have no time time to popst on here!

Edited by Conan

i've booked out saturday morning for this, i'll brew myself a nice big cup of coffee and make a bacon sandwich and sit and listen to all the tracks on my good speakers (right through i promise!) i did this for the last one and it was a fantastic way to spend a morning.

Matty

[quote name='bartelby' timestamp='1372315556' post='2124089']
I mainly check BC in work these days.
By the time I get home and sort the kids out I've forgotten that there was something I needed to check out...
:-(
[/quote]

This, very much so, and when I get a minute to sit down and listen to some music, some band has invariably sent me a setlist that I have a day and bit to learn or something equally ridiculous.
Will attempt to listen over the weekend.... while packing my house up to move, must not pack speakers..... :)

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1372319739' post='2124124']...ed- remind me who said this a few weeks ago and i will credit them!! i cant remember the thread :D
[/quote]

"One is never better served than by oneself."
D[i]ad3353, 2013[/i]

[i][quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1370602835' post='2103252']
Matron..! Matron..? Xilddx is being troublesome again..! Shouldn't he still be in the corner..? Matron..?

(Never there when needed..! Typical...)

([i]goes into corridor, in search of authority[/i]...)

[i][size=3]Matron..! [size=2]Matron..?[/size][/size][/i]

[i][size=3][size=2] :ph34r: [/size][/size][/i]
[/quote][/i]

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='The Dark Lord' timestamp='1372335381' post='2124424']
People visit forums for different reasons. I don't think the compositions section is particularly interesting.
[/quote]

You're right. People do visit forums for different reasons, but many people don't lurk in the recording forum too often so wouldn't know of the composition competition and this thread is simply letting people know it's there, should they want to check it out. If not, simply move on.

I love the composition comp it's like sitting by a babbling brook on your dinner break. chilled civilized & Dad doesn't fart too much over there.....i think it's the fresh air.

I will be joining in when I finally get my recording space finished. last push now & I will finally have some spare time.......one day <_<