Why become a member? ×

Practicing at night - headphone amp?

Vladimir

Hi guys,

I was wondering, what would you recommend to practice some bass at night - with headphones?

So far I've found things such as this: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top[/url] which might do the trick, but I've no idea if it will sound good or not.

What do you guys use for your covert practicing? I do like to play the bass randomly and don't want to have to set up my full sized bass amp to just plug the headphones into the back of it.

Cheers.

Vlad

If I were in your position I would be tempted with one of the older secondhand Zoom Bass pedals. It would be around the same price and be far more versatile. I have an old Guitar version that I sometimes take away with me for playing through headphones. It's actually really good for Bass, too, and has the most versatile tuner I own on it.

Or, if you want Behringer, one of their V-Amp pods. I don't know how much one would cost, though. I have the rack version, which is what I use to play through headphones at home. Though, like I say, the tuner on the Zoom pedal is much better than on the V-Amp, the Pro at least.

Edited by KingBollock

Recently I stumbled across a second hand behringer 602 eurorack mixing desk for about £20.
It's tiny, has all the inputs you can want, 3band eq, and stereo outputs for headphone, din (tulip), jacks etc etc.
There are several brands offering little 4-6 channel mixers like these for less than a set of strings.

It's slightly larger than an Ashdown pedal, so easy to stow, fit on a desk or on a bookshelf. Or schlep it to rehearsal or gigs (for your in-ear monitor, should you be so inclined).

Honestly the smartest twenty quid I've spent on a hobby.

If you've got an ipad or iPhone then an irig and jamup with bass pack

This means you can carry this rig anywhere with minimal effort, it's a tiny cable, the amp sims and fx are great you can play along with YouTube, spotify or iTunes etc etc i do most of my practice on one of these.

[quote name='Vladimir' timestamp='1371862394' post='2119025']
Hi guys,

I was wondering, what would you recommend to practice some bass at night - with headphones?

So far I've found things such as this: [url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Behringer-HA400-Microamp-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B000KIPT30/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top"]http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top[/url] which might do the trick, but I've no idea if it will sound good or not.

What do you guys use for your covert practicing? I do like to play the bass randomly and don't want to have to set up my full sized bass amp to just plug the headphones into the back of it.

Cheers.

Vlad
[/quote]

what I've done is gone and gotten some decent JVC in ear headphones (£20) and I've been using the Vox Amplug thing. A gain, volume and tone control on the device and it plugs straight into the jack of your bass. It's also got an aux to play along or to work stuff out, which is why I use it mostly. I'd also say that it sounds even better than my amp! (Then again I haven't got the best 1 in the world) :P

I use my iphone or ipad with an apogee jam, the ampkit app (trace Elliot amp for bass) and an app called 'robick' to change the pitch if songs to that which we play them in, as well as suck out the bass in the track (or mids if I'm on guitar). Lets me loop and slow down any tricky bits too.

This is my chain, set up in a pedal board bag:

I have a mini mixer which the headphones come out from.
Track 1 - Bass with natural sound (Bass mostly goes through a Mark Bass head first).
Track 2 - Bass with effects (a/b box splits original signal)
Track 3&4 - Zoom drum machine
I also have an ipod plugged into the 'aux in' so I can jam with tracks.

This is a great jam station.

[quote name='ML94' timestamp='1371883796' post='2119051']
what I've done is gone and gotten some decent JVC in ear headphones (£20) and I've been using the Vox Amplug thing. A gain, volume and tone control on the device and it plugs straight into the jack of your bass. It's also got an aux to play along or to work stuff out, which is why I use it mostly. I'd also say that it sounds even better than my amp! (Then again I haven't got the best 1 in the world) :P
[/quote]
+1 Great sound

I used to use a Zoom, but it's no good for playing along to tracks I'm learning. I had to put earphones in (from the iPod) and then headphones over the top to hear the bass. Made my ears ache after a while, as the headphones pressed the earphones in. Maybe the modern ones have an aux input too?

Now I use a Vox Amplug. It has two inputs, is tiny and the batteries seem to last for ages.

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1371893934' post='2119196']
I use one of these:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001GH4H3W/ref=redir_mdp_mobile"]http://www.amazon.co...edir_mdp_mobile[/url]

Only has two settings: clean and overdriven, but both sound great :)
[/quote]

That's the one I use and I've been very pleased with it.

[quote name='Noah Deere' timestamp='1371897159' post='2119264']
I have a Vox Amplug, but wouldn't recommend it because the sound on it isn't great (there's always static in the back ground).
[/quote]

+1
I think the Vox Amplugs sound terrible. As do the IOS software amps.

CB

[quote name='Telebass' timestamp='1371896707' post='2119250']
I never practice any other way than with headphones. I use a Tascam MP-BT1. If I need to randomly play along with anything on a different device, then I still have a CD-BT1MkII that has a line in.
[/quote]

Me too with the Tascam CD trainer. I just use the line in to connect my laptop or phone with the mp3's on. I even use the earphones that came the phone.