Why become a member? ×

Stage Appearance

bonzodog

Sorry if this topic has been mentioned before but I am a relatively newbie. I have played in a few bands over the years and am currently in one and setting up another working covers band. I always seem to be in a minority when it comes to being conscious of how the band looks on stage. I don't mean dancing around (although I do prefer to move a bit rather than stand still). I mean the tidiness of the stage itself and what we wear. I have known fellow band mates in the past leave guitar cases and drum cases littered around the stage and leads end up becoming like a plate of spaghetti. I worked the clubs as a singer for years and it used to annoy me when the club would leave stacks of chairs and tables on the stage and also the dreaded shimmer curtain were always half hanging off so I suppose this is where I am getting it from. Do you think this is an issue or am I being over the top? BTW I am not writing in continuous lines for a reason, my post wont let me start a new line or paragraph for some reason!!

In my band, we've kind of accepted that we're not going to be 'big' (nice if it happens and all, but...). That said, we still take a professional attitude to gigging - Be practiced, turn up on time, don't mess around in sound checks, wear decent clothing and yes, keep the stage tidy!

There could be a point of view that it doesn't 'matter', but then again, it doesn't take that much more effort to make the stage (or floor, or corner or whatever) presentable. It's just part of the overall entertainment that you're providing the audience!

Gaffer tape. You`ll never eliminate all the cables unless you go wireless - which when you all are it`s amazing how much better the stage looks, plus you can move around, or just not have to keep your eyes on the clumsy band-member who regularly trips over and flattens amps. So at least tape leads down.

Clothes - it`s a performance, look like a band. This doesn`t mean outrageous clothing, in one of my bands we all wear black jeans, black shirts & DMs. It gives an identity.

Cases - if there isn`t room off-stage, not much you can do unless you can put them in the cars out of view - thieves aren`t to know they`re empty so need to be kept unseen.

I'm not a fan of stage clutter - it doesn't do much to convey professionalism. And as for bands, I always think it's a shame when players look disinterested. I saw a pub band the other day - musically very competent, but neither guitarist took their eyes off floor or fretboard for the entire evening, remaining rooted to the spot. The singer looked bored all the way through, and occasionally sang whilst reading from a pocket book of lyrics. I'm not sure she made any eye contact with the audience at all, and frequently walked off stage for a drink during a guitar solo.

I understand that some bands don't like to prostitute themselves to the trappings of the business, but this was a pub band in Bromsgrove. Even a little stagecraft goes a long way...

BB

[quote name='borisbrain' timestamp='1370432050' post='2100668']
I'm not a fan of stage clutter - it doesn't do much to convey professionalism. And as for bands, I always think it's a shame when players look disinterested. I saw a pub band the other day - musically very competent, but neither guitarist took their eyes off floor or fretboard for the entire evening, remaining rooted to the spot. The singer looked bored all the way through, and occasionally sang whilst reading from a pocket book of lyrics. I'm not sure she made any eye contact with the audience at all, and frequently walked off stage for a drink during a guitar solo.

I understand that some bands don't like to prostitute themselves to the trappings of the business, but this was a pub band in Bromsgrove. Even a little stagecraft goes a long way...

BB
[/quote]
I hear you and I agree. Without wishing to defend said band however, their attitude has probably been born of playing to disinterested punters for years in pubs.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1370468344' post='2101582']

I hear you and I agree. Without wishing to defend said band however, their attitude has probably been born of playing to disinterested punters for years in pubs.
[/quote]

Then why bother?

When I go to a restaurant, i don't want to see all the packets and wrappings the ingredients came in, just nicely presented food on the plate. Same on stage, keep the cases and bags out of sight, either backstage or locked away in the car or van.
Definitely make eye contact with the audience. Half my buzz comes from audience reaction. They won't react if you pretend they are not there. Or they will react by pretending you are not there. No buzz.
Gaffer tape. Wonderful stuff without which most theatres would fall down. But please don't stick it all over my leads. It takes ages to remove the gooey residue. Velcro ties are great for keeping bundles of leads together and tidy. I have leads in a variety of lengths and use the shortest ones possible in any given situation so as not to have yards of spare cable waiting to snare the unwary. I also use white mains leads where possible so they are more visible.
When I played in bands, we always had a choice of two or three sets of stage clothes so that we could dress appropriately for the venue eg smart suits for posh do's. Even our more casual rigs were themed so that it was obvious that we belonged together as a group. I'm not saying the clothes made us play any better but they made an impression that got us a lot of work and many repeat bookings.
It comes down to attention to detail. If you are prepared to put as much effort into your band's appearance and stage presence as you do to your sound and playing, you will be all the better for it in my opinion.

Myk

The stage has got to be tidy, no matter how big/small the gig is. Not only does it look professional, if something goes wrong, a cable goes down etc, it is much easier to fix quickly.

I often find that i play better when everything is tidy as i'm not worrying about tripping over something or accidentally unplugging something.

I do try and stash gig bags etc. off to the side/hidden behind PA speakers or in the wings somewhere. Can't stand having clutter around me. Never mind it looking bad, I'll probably trip over it.

On the subject of clothing - at my last gig I wore a fuzzy trilby. Never let it be said that I don't make an effort.

It depends on the gig and band type really - the Weller tribute I'm in played with The Lambrettas and we wore suits, but even when we play in pubs we have a change of clothes (paisley shirts for me!) before we go on. The audience are there to see a performance - not a bunch of herberts looking like they've just got out of bed!

A clean ship is a happy ship!
I think a tidy stage just looks so much more professional. We are a covers band playing pubs/parties/weddings etc, but there's no need to look like a bag of sh*t on stage. Look the part/feel the part/play the part.
I think punters will take you more seriously too, so long as you can back up the look with the music! But first impressions go a long way, and I think folk walking in to a pub with a pro looking band are more likely to take more interest from the start.

As for clothes, if it's a pub do then we wear smart jeans and shirts, but for private do's we have matching trousers, shirts and tie's. But I do appreciate that image isn't suitable for all types of bands, but we play mainly 60's covers, so it suits (no pun intended) our image.

[attachment=136381:Autumn Stone Band.jpg]

[quote name='iceonaboy' timestamp='1370527946' post='2102246']
My gripe is noise between songs. Our guitarist has some kind of compulsory disorder where , even after hours of exhausting rehearsals, he still has to play parts of the song before we start, giving away whats coming and sounding dreadfully unprofessional. Our drummer also has some kind of urge to rehearse triplets in between songs. This turns into a cacophony of mess, which annoys the f*** out of me. You never hear a professional band doing this and its the biggest disappointment I have with my band :angry:
[/quote] Haha you in my old band,?? :gas: yes my old band, they would tune up at full gig volume,try each pedal out,ect,ect,it would drive me insane,my thoughts are with you.
My current lot,fantastic,set up clear away,look great,real pro outlook,but then we are :P hehe

Edited by merlin

[quote name='foxton4001' timestamp='1370526904' post='2102227']The audience are there to see a performance - not a bunch of herberts looking like they've just got out of bed!
[/quote]

This ^^^^^

I think bands should make an effort to put on a show. Every aspect should be considered from piled up cases out of site through to not looking like the band works in McDonalds when they are not playing. I've always felt very strongly on it. Bands can of course wear jeans & tshirts but it's how you come across overall.

[quote name='bonzodog' timestamp='1370427456' post='2100571']
Sorry if this topic has been mentioned before but I am a relatively newbie. I have played in a few bands over the years and am currently in one and setting up another working covers band. I always seem to be in a minority when it comes to being conscious of how the band looks on stage. I don't mean dancing around (although I do prefer to move a bit rather than stand still). I mean the tidiness of the stage itself and what we wear. I have known fellow band mates in the past leave guitar cases and drum cases littered around the stage and leads end up becoming like a plate of spaghetti. I worked the clubs as a singer for years and it used to annoy me when the club would leave stacks of chairs and tables on the stage and also the dreaded shimmer curtain were always half hanging off so I suppose this is where I am getting it from. Do you think this is an issue or am I being over the top? BTW I am not writing in continuous lines for a reason, my post wont let me start a new line or paragraph for some reason!!
[/quote]BTW [i]I am not writing in continuous lines for a reason, my post wont let me start a new line or paragraph for some reason!![/i] I thought I had a problem with my computer, as I have the same problem, if I want to start new paragraphs, I have to first write in "notepad" and copy and paste into Basschat. So is this a common problem with Basschat users, or is it my computer?

[quote name='thebrig' timestamp='1370541115' post='2102464']
BTW [i]I am not writing in continuous lines for a reason, my post wont let me start a new line or paragraph for some reason!![/i] I thought I had a problem with my computer, as I have the same problem, if I want to start new paragraphs, I have to first write in "notepad" and copy and paste into Basschat. So is this a common problem with Basschat users, or is it my computer?
[/quote]
I can paragraph fine, no problem.

For ME personally, if you are performing in front of people, then you should make an effort and dress up a bit and give the audience something to look at. Make the stage area (pub or club, whatever) look as professional as you can. Nothing worse than watching a band who look like they can't be arsed. IMO.