Why become a member? ×

Just how good is the Fender CS Pino Precision?

tredders

I've never owned (or played) a Fender CS shop bass, but being a dyed-in-the-wool Precision player, I've always been really interested in the Pino model (plus I've got a bit of a bonus coming from work, so I'm considering one). Ticks all the boxes for me, and every review I've read has been really positive.

But how good are they? I know it's all subjective, but what makes them so great? Build quality? Attention to detail? Components? All of these?

Any current / former owners out there care to comment?

Cheers

Tredders

The CS Pino gets huge amounts of love from all who've owned or tried one. I've not had the opportunity to try a Pino, but the one CS I have tried, a Reggie Hamilton fiver, was amazing, really lovely to play and sounded just perfect. I'm sure the Pino owners will be along shortly.

I`ve played one - Clarkys old one - and it was hands-down the best Precision I`ve ever played. Didn`t check build quality, details, components or anything like that, just that it was effortless to play, and dependent on how it was played, the sounds varied considerably. If I could only afford one..........

[quote name='tredders' timestamp='1370161229' post='2096997'] But how good are they? I know it's all subjective, but what makes them so great? Build quality? Attention to detail? Components? All of these? [/quote] I felt completely at home with mine as soon as I picked it up and after the tone of the first few unplugged notes I was sold. They just have that "played in" feel and I'm sure its no coincidence I'm always at my most inspired when I'm playing the Pino. Would I pay retail price though? hmm, dunno. Second hand however, definitely. ps. don't foolishly sell it. Twice. Like I did :)

Edited by Legion

When anyone decides they can afford £3000 plus for a P bass they're entering a world of choice which extends way beyond Fender CS.

A world which Includes the likes of Nordstrand, Mike Lull, US Lakland, Celinder, Sadowsky etc, and of course vintage basses.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1370165653' post='2097056']
I`ve played one - Clarkys old one - and it was hands-down the best Precision I`ve ever played. Didn`t check build quality, details, components or anything like that, just that it was effortless to play, and dependent on how it was played, the sounds varied considerably. If I could only afford one..........
[/quote]
Yep, that was a fabulous bass and it was the ease of playing, coupled with the tasteful ageing that made it so special. I only sold it to help pay for a year of birth 1963 Precision. Truth is the Pino was nicer to play, although there's not much in it

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='AntLockyer' timestamp='1370168045' post='2097092']
Can you get one they haven't messed the paint up on?
[/quote]
Yes, just order one from the custom shop. Just say "Can I have one just like the Palladino but without the relicing?". There must be a price for that.

But then of course it won't feel the same when you play it and it won't be a Palladino.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1370168414' post='2097100']
But then of course it won't feel the same when you play it and it won't be a Palladino.
[/quote]

The feeling the same is just the neck relic though right? I'd be happy with it not being a Palladino to be honest.

A; The Pino is just a copy of an old P-bass Uncle Horrid found for a certain P-player for a few quid, (a few years back), don't ask me how they come up with the price tag :rolleyes:
B; I've played a few & they do seem to play very nicely, I'm sure a lot is down to the TI Flats fitted as standard, the only Fender P (AFAIK) to have these & usually the only bass in the shop to have them. If you're not used to TI's when you try a Pino it's bound to be a revelation B)
C: I hate the rusty bridge on them. I fail to see how a top class working musician would let his equipment get in such a state :o If I had one I would have to change the bridge, (for a same style Vintage but in good condition).
D: My American Vintage '62 P plays, (to me at least), even better than a Pino :P

They are nice though :lol:

Edited by KiOgon

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1370171189' post='2097130'] The Pino is just a copy of an old P-bass Uncle Horrid found for a certain P-player for a few quid [/quote]

Yes as far as I remember it was an ordinary 60s Precision (as far as pre-CBS Precisions can be called ordinary). It was/is a re-fin.

Daft thing is if I had kept it I would be struggling to get 3£K for it in the present market but shudder to think what the deal would be should the man himself put it up for grabs.

Uncle Horrid.

Edited by The Bass Doc

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1370166944' post='2097076']
When anyone decides they can afford £3000 plus for a P bass they're entering a world of choice which extends way beyond Fender CS.

A world which Includes the likes of Nordstrand, Mike Lull, US Lakland, Celinder, Sadowsky etc, and of course vintage basses.
[/quote]

+1 on this . In certain instances for less than three grand , you can get new custom - order examples of some of those listed above , as well as a few more besides . And that's not even bringing secondhand into the equation . I haven't tried the Pino - I expect it's very good , but I don't like the colour or the relicing myself personally - but there are so many options if you are spending big money on a P Bass that it's just one option to look at . That said , if you are paying cash you should be looking to get a big discount off the retail price of a Fender and so maybe you could get a good deal on one . Getting the Fender Custom Shop to make you that Pino Signature bass but just how you want it would be a viable option if you are prepared to wait a while for it , but I would think it would be several months , minimum , maybe longer . Speak to a Fender CS dealer and get an idea from them . Other custom builders are usually quicker than Fender CS at the moment though , on the whole .

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1370166944' post='2097076']

[/quote]

I would agree that that budget puts a lot more other basses in scope.
I don't know how 'good' the CS basses are...but they wouldhave to be blindingly good ...and for a P..??? at that price level.

Edited by JTUK

I suppose in further defence of the Pino I should add I've owned a very nice Sadowsky NYC PJ and trialled an Alleva Coppolo KPB4 for a while as well. Whilst the AC and the Sadowsky were amazing basses, the Pino is very much their equal, although each had different strengths.
The Sadowsky sounded very modern, but my god it was well put together, silent as a mouse and super light and balanced.
The Alleva had the best neck I've played, but there were some quality issues I would not tolerate in that price bracket.
The Pino just nails the vintage fender thing. Plus of course Fender made me a brand new neck, reliced and all, for free when mine (which I bought second hand) had an issue.

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1370178446' post='2097238']
Having just read through all these posts I now have GAS for a Pino precision :)
[/quote]

Or to have a root through Uncle Horrid's garage/workshop! B) :D

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370174878' post='2097191']

+1 on this . In certain instances for less than three grand , you can get new custom - order examples of some of those listed above , as well as a few more besides . And that's not even bringing secondhand into the equation . I haven't tried the Pino - I expect it's very good , but I don't like the colour or the relicing myself personally - but there are so many options if you are spending big money on a P Bass that it's just one option to look at . That said , if you are paying cash you should be looking to get a big discount off the retail price of a Fender and so maybe you could get a good deal on one . Getting the Fender Custom Shop to make you that Pino Signature bass but just how you want it would be a viable option if you are prepared to wait a while for it , but I would think it would be several months , minimum , maybe longer . Speak to a Fender CS dealer and get an idea from them . Other custom builders are usually quicker than Fender CS at the moment though , on the whole .
[/quote]

Fender CS build to delivery time is 'officially' 4-6 months. However, I'd maybe add another 2 months on top to be safe and, if there's annoying out of the ordinary which starts edging it towards master built territory then a fair bit longer on top as well :(

I must admit that the two Pino's I've played we're both uniformly excellent. I owned one for a while and really liked it. Only sold it because I don't really get on with that wider nut and chunkier neck profile vs a Jazz neck.