Why become a member? ×

Just how good is the Fender CS Pino Precision?

tredders

By way of a comparison , I remembered seeing this and thought you might find it interesting :

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owYAsxl3LVA[/media]

The sunburst on that CS 59 reissue is eye - wateringly beautiful , and it sounds just as good as the Pino bass to me . .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370187929' post='2097333']
By way of a comparison , I remembered seeing this and thought you might find it interesting :

The sunburst on that CS 59 reissue is eye - wateringly beautiful , and it sounds just as good as the Pino bass to me . .
[/quote]They're all beautiful - I'm assuming each has the factory fitted strings on at time of the video? Quite a wide range of tones between them.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370187929' post='2097333']

[/quote]

Great video, great basses. The Pino one did it most for me. The ride cymbal on the drum machine didn't...

The shop these basses are in is actually in South Korea , and it has got loads of truly high - end bass gear in it . I keep one eye on the international news nowadays , and if it looks like they are going to get overrun by an invading force from the North at any time , I will be ready to quickly make them a cheeky offer on a couple of basses they have in stock .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370196586' post='2097484']
The shop these basses are in is actually in South Korea , and it has got loads of truly high - end bass gear in it . I keep one eye on the international news nowadays , and if it looks like they are going to get overrun by an invading force from the North at any time , I will be ready to quickly make them a cheeky offer on a couple of basses they have in stock .
[/quote]

.......I'm now imagining the big smile on your face as you open the box containing your new cheap as chips high end bass from Korea, whilst the poor guys who sold it to you live and breath in that unimaginably horrific scenario - how ironic that smile will be......

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370198644' post='2097513']
.......I'm now imagining the big smile on your face as you open the box containing your new cheap as chips high end bass from Korea, whilst the poor guys who sold it to you live and breath in that unimaginably horrific scenario - how ironic that smile will be......
[/quote]

Cheap is cheap , and South Korea is a long way away . I will have prevented these basses falling into the hands of an evil dictatorship , and got myself a bargain at the same time . Win - win , as far as I can see ! The guy who sold me the bass will be able to use the money to buy some extra gruel to keep his family alive and will probably be thanking me for the rest of his days . Besides which , South Korea decided a long time ago to ally itself to the West and subscribe to a capitalist market economy despite having hostile and unstable neighbours and unsecured borders , so don't blame me when it all goes tits up .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1370199493' post='2097538']
Cheap is cheap , and South Korea is a long way away . I will have prevented these basses falling into the hands of an evil dictatorship , and got myself a bargain at the same time . Win - win , as far as I can see ! The guy who sold me the bass will be able to use the money to buy some extra gruel to keep his family alive and will probably be thanking me for the rest of his days . Besides which , South Korea decided a long time ago to ally itself to the West and subscribe to a capitalist market economy despite having hostile and unstable neighbours and unsecured borders , so don't blame me when it all goes tits up .
[/quote]

I wonder if you'll get 'invaded from the rear' when the UPS guy turns up to collect the bass only to find out the shop is closed and the owners are now writing you that thank you letter.

I'm long gone from this conversation now.

Edited by Chiliwailer

[quote name='Chiliwailer' timestamp='1370200123' post='2097545']
I wonder if you'll get 'invaded from the rear' when the UPS guy turns up to collect the bass only to find out the shop is closed and the owners are now writing you that thank you letter.

I'm long gone from this conversation now.
[/quote]

I think you have had a very successful irony bypass operation , my friend . Besides which , I would be holding their family hostage , and I would be screwing them over via Paypal so I would be covered if the goods went awry . My rear is only likely to get invaded by invited guests .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1370261393' post='2098174']
So are these Pino basses as good as the Squier CVP's that they are modelled on ;-)
[/quote]

Yes, you can get the Squier for about 100th of the price of a Pino :)
I tried one of those CVP's not bad.. never tried a Pino but would love to.

[quote name='magee' timestamp='1370259963' post='2098145']
Legion,
that's my bass! I'm very glad you didn't buy it, cause it meant I could. It is a thing of abiding beauty. Thanks again Howard, or should I say Uncle Horrid?
Matthew
[/quote]
Ahh, so thats where it ended up - if you ever...well you know...

Probably as close as you will get in touch / feel / vibe to a proper '62 P-bass without the Pre CBS price tag .

Great bass , but my personal preference is still for my 57 Vintage Re-issue . So I sold it back to it's original owner .

All P-bass's are different , I have six , so you need to play it to make sure it speaks to you.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1370372141' post='2099945']
For £3000 I'd save my money and get a new one... or save my money and get a RoadWorn - both lovely basses.
[/quote]

Good recommendation - the Road Worn I tried felt almost - but not quite - as good in the hand as the PP Sig. Think it must be the worn necks, they really are very comfortable.

[quote name='bh2' timestamp='1370372141' post='2099945']
For £3000 I'd save my money and get a new one... or save my money and get a RoadWorn - both lovely basses.
[/quote]
Well OHM is selling his for £2450, so you could save £500 ;)

Having never played one and without detracting from the comments above, I do have a CS 64jazz, which is very nice in all respects but not standout. For those who have tried the Pino and other CS basses, is the Pino truly superior?

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,
I used to post ages ago but life etc kinda took over. I hope you dont mind me resurrecting this old thread, but all this talk about worn in basses like the Pino etc has got me bursting with a few thoughts

I bought a RW jazz two years ago and was very impressed by its playability, feel etc, and from what I have gleaned reading this and that is that all these "worn" models, whether Mex of CS have slightly smaller dimensions. My Jazz's body was definitely thinner than any other Jazz I had played and coupled with all the wear etc really made it feel kinda soft and organic.....

Anway it had to go cause the neck seemed a bit weak even with light strings..the string height kept moving which I could not do anything about.

note

Blimey...3 big ones for a new Precision??? I'm sure it's nice, but if I had a list of basses I'd buy for 3 grand or less, the Precision would certainly be on it...but it would be a very long list and the Precision would be somewhere near the bottom! What about a nice, old Wal, or even a new one? Oh yes!