Why become a member? ×

Watching your plucking hand

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1370006876' post='2095464']
I know when learning a new tune we have to look intently on our fretting hand but do any of you really closely observe your plucking hand when learning a tune?
[/quote]

I don't look at either :lol:

I wanted to say: [i]you watch your own plucking hand, mate[/i] :lol:

But the moment has passed :(

No, not really, I don't tend to look at it. I do have some issues with my plucking hand - a legacy of some old breaks and a bout of Carpal Tunnel - and I think I've only probably looked at it to check if I've found myself in any pain.

Beyond that, it's all fretting hand.

This was meant as a question about the learning process really and not gigging. I know most people will look at their fretting hand when remembering the patterns but not sure if anyone puts much effort into thinking about patterns of plucking so to speak. And by looking I really mean the effort to establish a pattern of fingering rather than staring at ones hand.

Edited by norvegicusbass

I never look at the plucking hand ....except last gig.... there were only 4 peeps left at the gig ( B/H , good weather , loads of local festivals , excuse etc etc ) , so I joined them on the dance floor . cue well oiled young lady drapes herself over me :rolleyes: , and pretends to play strum style over my right hand . being polite and the song being Dakota , the right hand just does a LOT of repetetive finger flicking so I demonstrate this to her , she cannot quite get it , and looking at my technique , says it looks quite rude , at this point I think my technique is working , except the young lady makes her excuses , walks off the dance floor and pukes her way back to her seat.... class.
I like to think the potential of my technique sent her head into a spin ;) , though more likely the close encounter just turned her stomach :lol:

[quote name='norvegicusbass' timestamp='1370006876' post='2095464']
I know when learning a new tune we have to look intently on our fretting hand but do any of you really closely observe your plucking hand when learning a tune?
[/quote]

No. Reading this made me realise how little I actually look at my plucking hand when I'm playing!