Why become a member? ×

Only 15 minutes from Bass Direct.

jonunders

How can it be that I end up 15 minutes away from Bass Direct with no money to spend. I had been saving for a new bass but due to the current economical climate the money had to be used elsewhere. It felt like being taken to a chocolate factory and told you can look and smell but you cannot have any. I didn't go.

I had a horrible experience there. The shop is run by someone with the manner of an uptight prefect. He refused to let me try out basses because 'they were too expensive' said I was 'wasting my time' because I wanted to try out an amp but hadn't brought my bass. When I mentioned I was still using an old H/H amp he looked down his nose at me and obviously didn't consider me a proper customer. I was en route from Wales to London and diverted to pay a visit. Never again.

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1369740304' post='2092107']
I had a horrible experience there. The shop is run by someone with the manner of an uptight prefect. He refused to let me try out basses because 'they were too expensive' said I was 'wasting my time' because I wanted to try out an amp but hadn't brought my bass. When I mentioned I was still using an old H/H amp he looked down his nose at me and obviously didn't consider me a proper customer. I was en route from Wales to London and diverted to pay a visit. Never again.
[/quote]

That was Bass Direct? Granted I've never been to the actual shop but online/telephone Mark has been an absolute gent!

Strange.

[/quote]

Yeah, put your cheapo Wal back in your case you!

[/quote]

This surprises me.
I've been to bass direct twice now and both times I have been made to feel very welcome by Mark, free to play with any of the toys I choose.
The first time I went I think I only spent around £15, was on my motorbike, in full leathers but still felt taken seriously as a potential customer.

I also had a bit of an iffy experience there, and now use other retailers for all my purchases where possible.

Count yourself lucky that you didn't go in! Try attending the London Bass Guitar Show with no cash, where people are actually asking you if you want to try gear. It's torture in every sense of the word... :(

I've bought a couple of items from Mark. All mail order, and always had great service.

First item I ordered over the telephone - we had a nice long chat about basses and amps - very educational for me.

As a result, if I ever need a new amp or cab, I'd certainly take my bass up there and make the trip, and Mark made it clear that he would spend the time to show me items I never knew existed! :)[size=4] [/size]

His attitude was deeply patronising, proprietorial and prescriptive. He talked to me as if he was talking to a child, lecturing me about the most basic aspects of equipment even though I am several years his senior. It was quite extraordinary behaviour totally inappropriate for anyone in his position. I sent him an email with concerns about his rude behaviour and all I got was a begrudging acknowledgement he 'must have been having a bad day' rather than an apology.

'they were too expensive'
[...]
didn't consider me a proper customer.
[/quote]

Something, somewhere must have gone horribly wrong. You're [b]really, positively[/b] sure that he hasn't heard Prescott?
:D

Seriously though, he was lovely on the phone when I called him once, and his basses are too expensive to me, and I noobly [b][i]am[/i][/b] not a proper customer.
(Though I [i]have[/i] decided I will buy off him as soon as I have sold my cars.)

Sounds like you two didn't blend very well, or he had just married. ;)
Whenever I experience something like that, I give the shop in question one more chance to change my impression. After that it's [s]genocide[/s] [s]murder spree[/s] Captain Charles Cunningham B.

best,
bert

Mark is my number one call.

Ive bought many items there from leads to basses, he gets the job done. We've had our differences but thats ok as we are only human and he knows his onions when it comes to part ex pricing amongst the rest of bass business. The service is always second to none IMHO.

Great place

[quote name='Spoombung' timestamp='1369760774' post='2092455']
His attitude was deeply patronising, proprietorial and prescriptive. He talked to me as if he was talking to a child, lecturing me about the most basic aspects of equipment even though I am several years his senior. It was quite extraordinary behaviour totally inappropriate for anyone in his position. I sent him an email with concerns about his rude behaviour and all I got was a begrudging acknowledgement he 'must have been having a bad day' rather than an apology.
[/quote]

Sadly, I had a similar experience. Never had the nerve to post that on here though, as the general consensus seems to be that he is wonderful.
Maybe he just has off days.

As do we all, I suppose.

I'd hate to live close to Bass Direct - I know that I'd be in there every week - I'd have to find a way to have some of that chocolate!!

As for Mark, every contact I've ever had with him, he's been a perfect gent - open, honest and he's always given good, helpful advice - as others have said, we all have bad days and you don't know who he was talking to 15 minutes earlier who may have pissed him off...

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1369773518' post='2092677']
I probably walked in just after Spoombung had pissed him off! Lol : D
[/quote]

Now don't be modest! You were there 15 minutes before him!
Glad we got that sorted out.
:P

best,
bert

People who work in shops can occasionally be grumpy - we all know that - however telling a customer who has driven miles out their way to be there that they can't touch the guitars, that they're wasting their time because they should have brought their own guitar to try out an amp etc etc is downright insulting and a bit weird.
I've never been told I can't touch a guitar in a shop ever before.

If people want to give him their money that's their business but I personally wouldn't dream of setting foot in there again. Nor would I recommend anyone visit the shop at the risk of enduring such an attitude.

Some time back I spotted a bass in the secondhand section which I thought had my name on it - £1500 was the price. I actually had my credit card out and in my hand when I telephoned but, after a brief and somewhat offhand discussion from the 'other end', I was astonished to find myself rather abruptly cut off.

Now I know it was not me who ended the call and, let's face it, it's easy to phone someone back by dialling 1471, so after sitting there for a minute and thinking about it I put my card back in my wallet and that was the end of it.

I have bought many things from Mark over the years since he first opened for business, and have never had anything other than first class service and the very best customer care. Mark has even refused to sell me a bass he knew wouldnt suit what I do (he was right, I just liked the colour!). He has done things beyond the call of duty to help me, and spent hours talking to me whilst I tried out everything in the shop, and has agreed very acceptable deals for purchases that make me reticent to even think of going elsewhere for any bass equipment. I can only think that it must have been a different Mark in the shop that day, the real Mark having been bound and gagged in the back room.......

I think the Gallery is better, I've always had good service there, and they're far more likely to offer deals on items. I think the price marked on stuff at Bass direct is the price you pay.

He also seems to push stuff, Bergantino and other expensive amps/cabs and Roscoe and Dingwall basses.