Why become a member? ×

How do YOU make money playing bass?

AndyBob09

Hey guys,

I've just looked at my diary for the Winter 2013/2014 and it is awfully quiet.

I make most of my money playing in a wedding band which is great throughout the summer but not so much through the Winter - Which makes the Winter an even more depressing time!

I was just wondering how any of you pros out there earn cash other than playing weddings? Paid gigs around Glasgow are hard to come by. I have NO idea how to get in to session work, though would love to - And musicals is always an option for me too - Just contact a few MDs.

How else do you guys get work? All help would be appreciated.

Cheers!

F*ck knows. I have a couple of pro gigs but the work is rare. Maybe eight gigs a year and some recording sessions.

One of my pro gigs is with a successful underground band doing global fusion electronica who've been together for 20 years and release the occasional band album and have loads of other satellite bands, one of which appears to be breaking with their debut album. They make a living, but it's damn hard work. My other gig as a guitarist is with a very niche artist but quite sought after for various sessions and composing and tours. She makes a decent living and loves most of it, but again, it's very hard work, and you have to be unremittingly reliable and at the top of your game.

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1369248424' post='2086941']
What is this 'money' of which you speak..? :huh:
[/quote]

I have no idea. But whatever it is, could I have some?

Does anyone have any spare musicians that they can send up here?

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1369250236' post='2086962']
How much money do you want to make?

Beer money? Or enough so you don't have to have another source of income?
[/quote]

During the summer (April - September) I make enough so I don't need to work elsewhere, can afford a few luxuries like holidays, fast cars and beer. I'd like to keep this up through the winter too though (minus the holidays! - And maybe slow cars. The roads are dangerous in winer after all!).

Realistically, £800 - £1,000 per month.

Like ezbass, my music affliction costs me money, it doesn't make me any.

But as a function band, have you considered cruise ships during the winter? There have been a few posts here about such things, though I've no experience of it myself. But I do know someone who has got herself 'plugged in' to the cruise ship lecturing circuit. Basically she gives illustrated talks about gardening (she has won gold at Chelsea flower show, among other things) but only, get this, a few times per week!

For this, she gets free board and all travelling expenses to and from the cruise ship. She subsequently got her husband involved and he now gets free trips in return for doing "port talks", which are basic briefings for each port the ship visits. These are usually only for a day at most, so he only has to cover the main tourist hotspots and he gets all his material online. They now spend their retirement crusing the world for free (well, 4/5 trips per year). Amazing really - I'm thinking of preparing a humorous lecture about life as a failed bassist and applying myself!

[quote name='AndyBob09' timestamp='1369246694' post='2086917']
Hey guys,

I've just looked at my diary for the Winter 2013/2014 and it is awfully quiet.

I make most of my money playing in a wedding band which is great throughout the summer but not so much through the Winter - Which makes the Winter an even more depressing time!

I was just wondering how any of you pros out there earn cash other than playing weddings? Paid gigs around Glasgow are hard to come by. I have NO idea how to get in to session work, though would love to - And musicals is always an option for me too - Just contact a few MDs.

How else do you guys get work? All help would be appreciated.

Cheers!
[/quote]

Funerals ?

I've never been pro but my cousin has been a pro sax player for about 10 years now. For much of that she just used to do whatever she could, including teaching during the day, appearing on TV miming sax, or even miming backing vox, short or long contracts touring wherever. She also plays 2 or 3 different saxes (eg baritone, tenor etc) and is always in a number of bands/projects.

It's difficult. My brother in law, who is a fully pro guitarist, has managed it by diversifying. He plays in 5 bands but makes most of his cash by playing solo because he doesn't have to share the fee. Occasionally he'll get a session gig with a 'name' act (usually a 70's throwback). Which can be decent money.
Unfortunately bass is an accompanying instrument so you'll never get the kind of money a solo act gets. Probably the best way of making some decent cash is to learn to sing and play guitar.

Not on bass, but maybe still relevant:

- depping in all kinds of music, and on different instruments
- teaching - steady money but it takes a lot of time away from playing, so it's a mixed bag
- depping in all kinds of music, and on different instruments
- playing in church every sunday plus weddings and funerals
- depping some more

None of those would give an income alone, but together they made me survive.

Never made income type money playing with a band or playing my own music, and all proceeds from radio and tv were regarded as accidental extras that would get me an LP or two.

best,
bert

I don`t make money through bass/music now, but when I joined my punk covers band, The Daves, we were gigging at least 3 times a month, so was getting between £150 & £250 a month from that. Take out expenses to get there and a few diet cokes, still nicely up on the deal.

Teaching mainly and working hard when the work is available/bringing in money in the summer. Remote recording sessions, panto pit work and christmas functions.

I also own a smallish PA (Yamaha Stage Pass) which is compact and self-contained. I rent it out for all the Christmas speeches, small church Christmas concerts and smaller weddings that my function band are too big/expensive for. Gives the punter the option to still have music playing and they get to choose. It pays as well as playing/DJing. Just turn up, plug in, leave for a few hours, come and pack up. Easy money :) I've actually set up the PA for an annual WI meeting before, gone to play a gig with the band across town and then picked the PA up on the way back.

I also do workshops at my local music shop. The best is probably the 'Paint your own ukulele' before learning to play a few bits. Thats really popular and cheap idea to run and inexpensive for someone to buy as a fun Christmas gift :)

I make between £600-£700 a month from music work. I can probably deduct 35% for expenses such as travel, gear/suit hire, food and drink etc.

I play bass for a pub/functions band that gig at least twice a week and at the moment have no other work. However I do have contacts to try if I need something to tide me over but I doubt I'd ever make a living from it.

It's difficult! The main problem being that most work comes about at the weekends when obviously you only get the opportunity to work for a couple of days. If you can find work in the week you're laughing!

Truckstop

I'm not a pro (or in a function band) but I do make money...
Our model is to focus on festivals in the summer, pub gigs in the winter with weddings and private parties in the gaps. Low paying festivals & support slots are bumped up by merch sales and every now and again we put our own nights on where we promote the hell out of it in return for the door take or a percentage of the bar take.
We never rely on one type of gig, we're always thinking of the next new or interesting thing we can do.
Like this:
https://m.facebook.com/?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.co.uk%2Fsearch&_rdr#!/events/151356368372710?aref=22&__user=669751612

Apologies for the clunky link-I'm using my phone and it's the best I can manage..

my wedding/function band has for the last three years got a xmas residency at a large local hotel - gigs every friday and saturday night from start of december thru to new years eve.... maybe worth approaching some similar venues near you? nice and easy too as all the gear can remain in situ for the whole month... turn up ten minutes before going on... plug in... play!

Getting paid to play bass is a terrible job.

1. You can be a session musician but you might be asked to play with one of those dreadful bands that appear on 'Later'.
2. You can play weddings or cruise ships but you'll have to play things like 'Eye of the Tiger' or something by Coldplay.
3. You can teach but you feel suicidal after the first month.

Get a proper job.