Why become a member? ×

The Most Beautiful Bass ever, EVER!

Billy Apple

[quote name='JapanAxe' timestamp='1367171706' post='2062135']
This thread is just on the cusp of turning into a coffee-table-fest! :ph34r: **[i]duck and cover[/i]**
[/quote]

I think I would want to use a coaster if using that Ritter as a coffee table!

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1367174100' post='2062178']

I was surprised to see this tbh.
[/quote]
20 years ago, while working in a guitar shop, I was asked to describe my ideal Bass, and what I described was that Bass (though they didn't actually make that model back then). After dreaming about it for all that time I finally got that model last year, and everytime I look at it it still takes my breath away.

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1367174540' post='2062184']
20 years ago, while working in a guitar shop, I was asked to describe my ideal Bass, and what I described was that Bass (though they didn't actually make that model back then). After dreaming about it for all that time I finally got that model last year, and everytime I look at it it still takes my breath away.
[/quote]

That's fair enough, I'm glad that you own the bass of your dreams not everybody can say that.

I must admit it is charming in it's own way.

Some rare & interesting stuff here!

The Pagelli semi-fretted thing is pretty intriguing...i'd love to know (or see photos) of the tuning mechanism for both that and the Ritter as they seem to share the 'headstock but no tuners' so I'd guess have tuning hardware recessed into the rear of the body???

[quote name='wwcringe' timestamp='1367175888' post='2062221']
Some rare & interesting stuff here!

The Pagelli semi-fretted thing is pretty intriguing...i'd love to know (or see photos) of the tuning mechanism for both that and the Ritter as they seem to share the 'headstock but no tuners' so I'd guess have tuning hardware recessed into the rear of the body???
[/quote]

The Ritters use the same method as a headless bass would.

This one you can see the tuners on the body...

This one shows how they sit in the back...

[quote name='sprocketflup' timestamp='1367177718' post='2062253']
Tho Ive never seen it in the flesh, I think the most beautiful bass i have ever seen is Big Red X's stunning Sei offset Flamboyant.

If you are ever in the need of another left nadger Big red X, i gladly would trade mine for it :)
[/quote]

Thanks! (I think)

My favourite of the basses I own is this one:

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/b026f1c7-7ab7-439b-bc17-8daa47d8b62d_zpsa16afb00.jpg[/IMG]

Billyapple's Thunderbird is still winning for me, for the reasons he states.

Also love this Precision, and how it sounds:
http://www.google.com/search?client=ms-android-htc&source=android-home&site=webhp&source=hp&ei=zH59UcS1C4LH0QWf_oCoDg&q=martyn+casey&oq=martyn+casey&gs_l=mobile-gws-hp.12..0l2j0i22i30l3.11753.19991.0.21214.15.12.0.3.3.0.188.1795.0j12.12.0...0.0...1c.1.11.mobile-gws-hp.8-EcmtrgBD8#miuv=1

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1367145885' post='2061624']
If the OP is looking for the single most beautiful bass ever doesn't it have to be a full custom build that's a 'one of a kind' - otherwise it's just a bass that's very nice indeed but looks almost identical to a lot of other basses?

This would, therefore, exclude almost all Fenders, Gibsons, Rickenbackers etc.

Obviously individual beauty will be in the eye I the beholder but if something looks near identical to many other basses it's not really going to be THE most beautiful bass ever :(
[/quote]

I think a mass produced object can be an object of beauty, although Fender and Gibson are also looking at volume sales so they will tone down design in a way that Jens Ritter does not have to. Looking at the Ritters I think it's fair to say he is elevating the instrument above form and function and into art. Do I think they are beautiful, yes, the most beautiful, no.

In terms of design I think that Leo Fender got it right very early on. It's a criticism laid at Fenders door that they don't come out with anything new, but when you have the icon of design and function why should you?

There are many identical E-Type Jags (well, perhaps not so many now-a-days) but it is a very beautiful car. There are very few Bugatti Veyrons, but they do nowt for me

As far a pretty basses this one is hard to beat. The Myrtle wood top on this bass was originally going to go on a Status 6 string headless I was going to have made, but I settled on Cocobolo. Rich (Out to Play Jazz) then had it made into this S2 5er, and I then bought it off him, and then sold it.

Had a chance to but it back a few weeks ago as well.

[attachment=133751:Myrtle.jpg]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1367179598' post='2062311']
I think a mass produced object can be an object of beauty, although Fender and Gibson are also looking at volume sales so they will tone down design in a way that Jens Ritter does not have to. Looking at the Ritters I think it's fair to say he is elevating the instrument above form and function and into art. Do I think they are beautiful, yes, the most beautiful, no.

In terms of design I think that Leo Fender got it right very early on. It's a criticism laid at Fenders door that they don't come out with anything new, but when you have the icon of design and function why should you?

There are many identical E-Type Jags (well, perhaps not so many now-a-days) but it is a very beautiful car. There are very few Bugatti Veyrons, but they do nowt for me
[/quote]

I have no argument with you that a mass produced bass can be a thing of beauty - I love my 1963 Fender.

However, the OP asked for "the most beautiful bass ever" and my thought was that something that's the same as something else can't the the [i]singular[/i] most beautiful bass - it can only be one of many beautiful basses.

I also hear what you're saying about cars but I'm not sure the analogy works as well because there are so few genuinely individual cars out there because the simple tooling cost of making one would be immense. Whereas the cost of making a highly individual bass is far less & there are way more of them in existence :)

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1367180528' post='2062336']

[size=4]However, the OP asked for "the most beautiful bass ever" and my thought was that something that's the same as something else can't the the [/size][i]singular[/i][size=4] most beautiful bass - it can only be one of many beautiful basses.[/size]

[size=4][/quote][/size]

In hindsight the OP was a knee-jerk reaction to the 'ugly bass' thread running. I think I was being deliberately contentious in asking for the 'EVER' definitive, simply because we all know that will never be agreed upon. However, I'm enjoying how the thread is panning out. Coffee tables and planks, bring them all and celebrate that which you find most pleasing to the eye :)[size=4] [/size]

[quote name='KingBollock' timestamp='1367173756' post='2062171']

Just utterly perfect.
[/quote]

While it's not [i]my[/i] style, I feel this is a stunning example of good metal bass design. Despite the headstock showing a little too much cleavage.

b,
b

Good Question...
WaterofTyne's 1971 Jazz bass is amazing looking.

This ACG gets me everytime I see it. Not sure why as it's not normally a style I would go for.... up for sale at the moment too last time I looked!

[quote name='warwickhunt' timestamp='1367149028' post='2061687']
One string too many but gorgeous. I was considering throwing a Streamer into the mix but Spector/NS imitation aside, it just wouldn't stand up to some of these works of art. ;)
[/quote] I was thinking the same... I would naturally just gravitate towards a nicely played in mid 1991 example such as the one sat in my spare bedroom... what would you go for?

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1367189425' post='2062469']

.. Despite the headstock showing a little too much cleavage.

[/quote]

Lol - I have to admit the first time I saw this bass I thought I looked like the cutaway in the headstock had been modelled by Kingbollock(s) himself :)

[url="http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/20120823_223501_zps77e27267.jpg.html"][/url] [URL=http://s1354.photobucket.com/user/Karl_Altdorfer/media/DSCF0196_zps8d863005.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1354.photobucket.com/albums/q693/Karl_Altdorfer/DSCF0196_zps8d863005.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Eye of beholder

Edited by karlfer