Why become a member? ×

Is your bass "upgraded"?

Jono Bolton

Hmm good points made. But without going into specific alterations it should all really be about improving playability and sound - not aesthetics. All you really have to be careful of is not to damage the normal value of well - mainly Fender basses to be honest. Any purist or collector will not want any alterations so if you do it make sure you use compatible upgraded bridges etc that do not incur drilling any other holes in the body...... And keep all the original parts including screws so you can reverse it all if you want to pass it on in the future. This is real important especially with Fenders. People want all those crap original parts - not your improved bits. There you go - there's my twopenneth on this subject.

My J Deluxe is modded. Dropped a set of Bartolini pickups and installed a J-Retro John East preamp within days of buying it. Way better than the Fender factory stock electronics. Most of my basses have had Bartolini pickups installed, with the exception of my Lakland and my old MTD 535 that already had them installed as standard. Love those pickups. I did have them installed in my Warwick, but I have recently put the original MEC pickups back in. Strangely, I prefer those pickups in that bass.

I think the term customised is probably more accurate, the term upgrade must definitely be in the eye of the beholder.

I've 'customised' a £200 Vintage EST96 bass (stingray copy) with a £40 preamp, which is a 2 band eq clone of a pre-EB stingray preamp. Its definitely an upgrade for me over the stock configuration, but Im under no illusions that the bass is worth any more if I were to sell it, as its the name on the headstock that sells as opposed to whats been changed under the hood. Modified or customised cars rarely sell for the true value of their parts, I guess an instrument is no different.

I do remember reading an article on a bass player (cannot remember who it was), who was raving about a Fender 60's reissue bass that he had 'modified'. Went something like this:

'I changed the tuners, the bridge, the pickups and the electronics! I even replaced the body...!'

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but is that really the same bass anymore...?

[quote name='iamtheelvy' timestamp='1366886753' post='2058482']
I do remember reading an article on a bass player (cannot remember who it was), who was raving about a Fender 60's reissue bass that he had 'modified'. Went something like this:

'I changed the tuners, the bridge, the pickups and the electronics! I even replaced the body...!'

Now, correct me if I'm wrong here, but is that really the same bass anymore...?
[/quote]

Haha, that really is a triggers broom. Sounds like it was the neck that was only thing to survive. Must have been an amazing neck

My P bass came to me with an EMG pickup. If it didn't have the battery route on the back (Which reminds me, i haven't changed it in 18 months) i would've put a passive pickup back in, but i don't think the EMG sounds bad at all. I may try the Seymour Duncan Lightning Rods when i find the extra cash though. My Ibanez has had all of the original electronics ripped out, and replaced with a passive VVT circuit, but that's because i was bored and fancied something different.

Liam

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1366887309' post='2058495']i was bored and fancied something different.[/quote]

After improving sound and playability, this has got to be the most common reason for most upgrades/modifications! :)

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1366815997' post='2057572']If you are going tot buy a bass and put your fav stings on it there is a chance that you would want to make your own adjustments anyway.[/quote]

Isn't that an upgrade? :ph34r:

Almost everything I've got is modded in one way or another - even my Dingwall. It's done for various reasons, to add bits I prefer to standard like bridges and tuners (Schallers and Hipshot Ultralites), functional additions like Hipshot Xtenders, and purely cosmetic bits (chrome surrounds and pickup covers on my Fenderbird). I keep going (and sometimes backtracking) until I'm happy. There are very few stock basses I like these days, I usually end up looking at something and thinking "It's really nice, but it could do with a better...bridge" or somesuch. It's also helped me define exactly what I like in a bass, and I play pretty much unique instruments.

I wouldn't ever simply add the value of the bits up and value the bass at that, that's about as valid a method as getting Ford's parts catalogue out, adding up all the bits and claiming that's what your Focus is worth - the mods are done solely for me, and in most cases if I was selling, I'd put the bass back to stock and keep/sell the parts.

All of my basses are 'upgrades'. My Bitsa Jazz has had an active EQ fitted, a fretless Mighty Mite neck and a MM humbucker shoehorned in. My P bass has had a new pickup configuration and an active EQ fitted, and my acoustic has been 'upgraded' by being defretted ;)

[quote name='cocco' timestamp='1366832279' post='2057925']
I've upgraded or quickly sold every fender I've ever owned.
[/quote]
Same here - in fact I have modified (and IMHO vastly upgraded) every Fender type bass I have ever owned with one exception (as it is potentially worth a bit and I might want to sell)!

In doing so I have undoubtedly lost quite a bit when I have sold on a few American Fenders, but I made them much better players and to my ears, sound better!

Edited by peteb

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1366790921' post='2057246']
In most cases it's a new pickup, bridge or scratchplate, but are any of these really upgrades? ... Surely if a prospective buyer didn't want those "upgrades", then it can't be considered to be so? [/quote]

A DiMarzio pickup upgrade definitely counts, but of course it depends on what it replaces: I put DiMarzios on my Squier, and the difference was tremendous. And if a prospective buyer didn't want such an upgrade ... why wouldn't he? Of course, if he wanted stock, he could buy a stock Squier ...

I put seymour duncan quarter pounders and a metal pick guard on my P bass. This was my attempt to modify my bass into the Steve Harris signature bass that was out at the time.

I still think the pickups sound great, but not so sure about the metal pick guard anymore - it doesnt seem to be to everyones taste :)

As a result ive put the original white guard back on and i now think it looks much nicer! I think my tastes have changed with age!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1366793951' post='2057333']
It`s funny but I bought a modded CIJ Precision with Badass/Nordstrand Pickup and replaced those with BBOT/Fender US Standard Pickup.

So did I downgrade or de-mod it? Nah, plays and sounds great.
[/quote]
[quote name='Old Horse Murphy' timestamp='1366794596' post='2057341']
I think you "restored " it Lozz ;)
[/quote]

I think you`re right Nick.

I have a Yamaha BBG5 fitted with the double-pole pickups usually found on a Yamaha RBX375. I had one & liked the tone but not the bass, so this works for me - it's my 'go to' bass & I use it for most stuff. I wouldn't consider this as an upgrade, more a matter of preference.

I also have a BB415 fitted with a John East U-Retro by Howard the Bass Doc (marvellous job - routed both cavity to fit & a battery box plus put on 2 layers of conductive paint unsolicited - thanks Howard!!!) . Again, I'd consider this preference.

I also have a Yamaha (noticed something yet?) TRB1005 Fretless which I've left stock as I don't feel there's anything needing to be 'improved' on it - weeellllllll - really, I'd prefer an unlined ebony fingerboard in preference to the lined rosewood, but that's well outside my budget (unless some kind luthier makes me an offer)!!!

G.

Edited by geoffbyrne

[quote name='skej21' timestamp='1366909016' post='2058956']
Why buy an instrument you're not happy with and then try and shape it into something you do like? Just buy what you want in the first place!
[/quote]

I would have thought that was obvious? :blink: Nobody buys a bass that they know they are unhappy with, but sometimes your tastes or needs change. A new pickup or bridge might come on the market and you want to try it... you might want to "bling" up your bass with some gold hardware... ;)

The bass that has all of the features you want might not be made by any manufacturer. Not everyone has the money to go down the custom route (and some that do are disappointed).

If you have a stock bass that you like playing, but want to change it - what's the problem? Why do some people get so bent out of shape by mods that others do to their own personal property? :rolleyes:

Fair enough if you try to sell it as "upgraded" and add to its price you are being a bit presumptious - but I think most buyers on here know enough about the market to spot a blatant attempt at profiteering don't they? B)

Edited by Conan

I'm in that camp too, we all used to muck about with our goods a lot more years ago, there's a cloud of originality over almost everything now, seems the world has become frightened of possible collectors of possible future collectables, or resale values at least.

It's my bass, I want to use in the way I want to, if something needs to change to do that, well, why not? If I lose a few quid in the resale, again, so what, I want the bass to do as I want and that's worth a few quid.

The neck on Stingray is chunky, I want it nice and slim like a Pre-EB. Don't want to splash out over a grand for a Pre-EB so I'm having mine shaved by HarleyHeath of Ruach basses. Really looking forward to the result. Might affect the resale price, I don't know but it will make it more valuable to me. As far as I'm concerned I'm the only one that matters with my basses, they are there to serve me.

All my basses have Schaller straplocks, does that count?

My Fender, more by virtue of being my main (and oft mistreated) gigging bass has it's fair share of replacement parts, and they're all Switchcraft or the like. Just as parts failed, especially the jack socket as someone mentioned. That too the pickguard out when it went, so the new pickguard is the same, only 5 ply rather than 3. Only the pup is an 'upgrade' for the sake of it, the only thing I've changed by choice rather than repair.

I upgraded with downgrades. I've ripped out the active electrics & made it passive, changed the high mass fully adjustable bridge for a ceased fender type one that can't be fully adjusted & stripped all the paint off of it.

On the +, the electrics got damaged & needed fixed, the high mass bridge had broke (I'm getting a new bridge next week all going well) & the paint was badly chipped (& didn't have a good roadworn image) so now has a nice oiled & waxed wood finish. I also added a knob to control one of my fx pedals & put flatwound strings on it.