Why become a member? ×

Is your bass "upgraded"?

Jono Bolton

Just something I've been thinking about recently, there's a few of basses for sale on here and elsewhere on the internet advertised as being "upgraded". In most cases it's a new pickup, bridge or scratchplate, but are any of these really upgrades? Surely the word upgrade implies that it's an improvement over the original model, but in the world of bass where almost everything is subjective, could you really say that a Dimarzio P pickup is an improvement a stock Fender, or that a Badass bridge is better than a BBOT? Surely if a prospective buyer didn't want those "upgrades", then it can't be considered to be so? Perhaps sellers may be best returning their instruments to an as original state as possible to sell it, and flog the replacement parts seperately? Just my 2p.

Having upgraded a few bases over the years customised tends to fit the description better. Obviously putting a £150 pickup into a £150 bass would generally be considered a clear upgrade but as a rule upgrades don't increase sale value and certainly when you go to the vintage market the original parts are what gets the best price. To be fair a lot of these upgrades tend to be better quality parts BUT as you say, it all comes down to personal tastes in the end

"Modified" is my preferred term, although I'd also accept customised ;)

I think, as Ou7shined said, it's to try and get a sale. "My central American double-cutaway 4-string bass is better than your central American double cutaway 4-string bass because it has X Y & Z", because of the money invested in the new additions. Unfortunately, from my own experience, a bass with a resale value of, say, £250, plus a £70 pickup and £70 bridge and £20 scratchplate, doesn't equal a £410 bass, which I think a lot of sellers don't realise. I've seen a few basses that seem pretty overpriced based on the mods made to it, which like I said, are entirely subjective. A Badass bridge may be worth the extra cash to some, but if I bought a bass with one fitted it'd be off and replaced with a threaded saddle bridge the second it was through door, but that's just my preference. To me that would be classed as an upgrade because I consider it be an improvement to the bass, even though the cost of the two pieces are significantly different

Edited by Jono Bolton

After a wee bit of digging, here's a 'For Sale' thread I posted a few years ago when I was selling my P Bass:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/21595-fender-precision-bass-black-white-scratchplate-rosewood-neck/page__p__223032__hl__fender%20precision%20gotoh%20black__fromsearch__1#entry223032"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/21595-fender-precision-bass-black-white-scratchplate-rosewood-neck/page__p__223032__hl__fender%20precision%20gotoh%20black__fromsearch__1#entry223032[/url]

I wouldn't buy anything modified, upgraded, customised or that's been mucked about by someone who probably has more money than sense.

Many years ago I upgraded a bass which I could have sold for more than it's now worth. Ho hum!

These days if the bass doesn't do what I want I'll buy one that does.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1366793044' post='2057298']

These days if the bass doesn't do what I want I'll buy one that does.
[/quote]

These days if the bass doesn't do what I want I'll make one that does.

Is my take on things.
Badges mean nothing if it ain't doing what I want

I picked up a 11 year old Squier P last year for a good price. Once I set it up and played it, I was really surprised at the quality. I replaced the white pickguard with a tort one and put in a SD SPB1 and chrome covers with tugbar and it looks like an old 60,s one from a distance! :D

Edited by Hobbayne

Let me think...

Yep!

MIM P bass (60th anniversary)
Modification 1 - Strip out the Pickups and replace with 1/4lbs
Modification 2 - Strip off the bridge and replace with BA II (this is when they were a lot cheaper and were getting raved about)
Modification 3 - Fit Shaller Straplocks
Modification 4 (In Progress) - Get custom Shuker neck made

There's not much of the original left :lol:

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1366793951' post='2057333']
It`s funny but I bought a modded CIJ Precision with Badass/Nordstrand Pickup and replaced those with BBOT/Fender US Standard Pickup.

So did I downgrade or de-mod it? Nah, plays and sounds great.
[/quote]

I think you "restored " it Lozz ;)

Of my two basses, my P-Lyte is all original (well, except for the threaded inserts put in for the rear control plate, as the original screw holes had stripped over the years). Can't think of anything I'd really want to change about it, except maybe trying a John East U-retro pre-amp, but I would like the chance to try-before-I-buy on that front.

My other bass started life as a mid-80's CIJ Jazz. First mod was a de-fret. It's since had: a new All Parts neck; Schaller tuners; a set of Wizard 64's; a new high-mass bridge; re-routed for an interchangeable Jazz / PJ combination, with a Wizard Thumper; two new tort pickguards to accommodate either set-up. In fact, the only original bit left is the body and the electrics, and the electrics might be getting ditched for an East J-retro, once I find gainful employment again!

I could put it back to it's original state, as I still have all the removed bits, but have come to the conclusion that I'm never going to get rid of this bass, as it does pretty much everything I want it to. It has given me one problem though - I was looking to get a custom bass made (probably one of ACG, Shuker or Chris McIntyre), but what's the point now? I've covered nearly all the options I could want in a bass, and why get something custom made to fill in the few remaining gaps, when it would potentially get very little use...

[quote name='Jono Bolton' timestamp='1366790921' post='2057246']
Just something I've been thinking about recently, there's a few of basses for sale on here and elsewhere on the internet advertised as being "upgraded". In most cases it's a new pickup, bridge or scratchplate, but are any of these really upgrades? Surely the word upgrade implies that it's an improvement over the original model, but in the world of bass where almost everything is subjective, could you really say that a Dimarzio P pickup is an improvement a stock Fender, or that a Badass bridge is better than a BBOT? Surely if a prospective buyer didn't want those "upgrades", then it can't be considered to be so? Perhaps sellers may be best returning their instruments to an as original state as possible to sell it, and flog the replacement parts seperately? Just my 2p.
[/quote]

Well if the seller is happier with the new hardware then yes, its an upgrade.

I think this is nit picking though, its just an indication of the fact that the bass isnt stock. The buyer can make of that what they will, but wont be in for any surprises when it arrives and its not exactly as the stock images on the manufacturers website.

My Squire has a Lakland neck, a Fralin pup, Gotoh bridge and a different pick guard. If i ever sell it its these features that would attract someone, not a stock Squier.

What i do find funny is when a bass is advertised as "set up by a professional at £xx" and they add a bit on to the cost of the bass. Now that really is subjective and i really cant see why people expect others to pay that extra cost, unless the bass was set up for the buyer at request.

Edited by dave_bass5

If I'm selling a bass that isn't in its original specification, I'll simply list what's been changed and if they are changes that I've made I'll say why they've been done. That way the buy can decide for themselves if it's an "upgrade" or not.

Edited by BigRedX

Upgrade? I've just realised I've followed the path of 'downgrading' my guitars!
HW1 Stratocaster - I replaced the stock bridge with a gold mexican one and swapped out the original pickguard for an aftermarket.
HW1 Jazz Bass - I replaced the badass II bridge with a £10 CIJ bridge.

Although it seems I have put worse hardware on these instruments, I am happy with them aesthetically and don't feel like they play any worse

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1366802297' post='2057507']
What i do find funny is when a bass is advertised as "set up by a professional at £xx" and they add a bit on to the cost of the bass. Now that really is subjective and i really cant see why people expect others to pay that extra cost, unless the bass was set up for the buyer at request.
[/quote]

FWIW, I disagree - I personally would find a reciept from a reputable luthier for a recent fret-dress+setup a much better selling point that some fancy scratchplate or other modifications (which IMHO mostly *reduce* the value of the bass, contrary to most sellers belief AFAICT)

The point being that it's somewhat less likely that you'll immediately have to spend £50+ getting it fully set-up, fret-dress, nut re-cut etc (even if you do have to tweak the action/strings to personal preference) - my experience of playing brand-new instruments (particularly Fenders) is that the stock setup is terrible and luthier attention would be required.

[quote name='6v6' timestamp='1366815401' post='2057559']
FWIW, I disagree - I personally would find a reciept from a reputable luthier for a recent fret-dress+setup a much better selling point that some fancy scratchplate or other modifications (which IMHO mostly *reduce* the value of the bass, contrary to most sellers belief AFAICT)

The point being that it's somewhat less likely that you'll immediately have to spend £50+ getting it fully set-up, fret-dress, nut re-cut etc (even if you do have to tweak the action/strings to personal preference) - my experience of playing brand-new instruments (particularly Fenders) is that the stock setup is terrible and luthier attention would be required.
[/quote]

Well yeah, if your talking about the whole, but thats not always the case. Some people dont know how to adjust things like truss rod, bridge etc when they change strings. This is the sort of set up i mean, and ive seen this mentioned a few times in adds.
If you are going tot buy a bass and put your fav stings on it there is a chance that you would want to make your own adjustments anyway.

For what its worth if i buy a new bass and it needs a fret dressing or nut cutting it will go back, i cant imagine people spending money on a good bass and then spending more to get it up to standard. Thats mad IMO.

Pickups annoy me the most.

"I've put £200 worth of new pickups in here so it's worth loads more" type of crap.

Most pickups cost about the same. So if you've put £200 worth into a bass that had nice pickups in the first place, then all you did was change them. You took £200 OUT of the bass first, and then merely put something different in. And that 'different' is only better to the person who wanted them there.

If the bass had some nice Seymours in it, but you put some more expensive custom Nordstrands in - unless you are still including the Seymours in the sale, the increase in worth is the difference between the 2 prices of the pickups, not the cost of the new ones alone.

Pickup 'upgrades' in already nice basses now fall into the "This is my original 1960 Jazz. It's had 2 new necks and 1 new body over the years...."

I took a weak sounding Squire pup out of my CV P and now have a £120 Fralin in it. If i was to sell my bass id make sure i got something back for the Fralin, although i would include the stock pup as well.
The first pup that went in was a Thumper, that cost £50, the next was a Fender Original, that cost £69 and now the Fralin. Each has sounded different, although not by a lot, but the Fralin now gives me the tone i want. Im not sure about most costing the same though.