Why become a member? ×

Your favourite UK Bass builder

TheGreek

Chatting to another BCer the other night we both agreed that, in the UK, we're pretty spoilt for Custom Bass builders. The list is much more extensive than the one I've compiled and I apologise to those I've missed out but I've tried to include all the more well known companies.

Please vote and tell us why.

[i]Sorry, just noticed a similar thread in the "Amps & Cabs" section - didn't mean to steal your fire..[/i]

Edited by TheGreek

So you added ACG and Shuker...

Where's 13 Guitar, John Birch, Clifton, Crimson, Brian Eastwood, Eccleshall, Enfield, Everson, Fretking, Gordon Smith, Gus, JC Hamilton, Simon Lee, Legra, Rim, Andrew Scrimshaw, Sei, Doug Wilkes?

All UK luthiers making bass guitars.

And I'm sure that even that list isn't complete...

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365716168' post='2043538']

Where's 13 Guitar, John Birch, Clifton, Crimson, Brian Eastwood, Eccleshall, Enfield, Everson, Fretking, Gordon Smith, Gus, JC Hamilton, Simon Lee, Legra, Rim, Andrew Scrimshaw, Sei, Doug Wilkes?
j

[/quote]

One of the most gorgeous basses I ever saw was by Jimmy Moon and at the time was owned by "Thornybank" of BC's very own hallowed pages.

[quote name='joeystrange' timestamp='1365718037' post='2043583']
I don't think Gordon-Smith make basses. I'd definitely try one if they did though.
[/quote]

[url=http://manchesterbasslounge.com/?p=2616]Review of this in the latest issue of Guitar and Bass Magazine[/url].

My Overwater Progress III was incredible, but the best thing about that bass was the customer care that Chris and Lawrence showed me during the build and the after sales support. They are a highly professional outfit and the quality of their products are very difficult to beat.

My Jaydee Supernatural was a fun bass to play, but I bought that second hand so I don't have any experience dealing with the company direct.

My Shuker Überhorn is almost finished and I can't wait to get my hands on it. After detailed discussions with Jon and talking through various options to narrow down what I am looking for playability wise, tone and appearence I am very confident that Jon will nail it.

Other brands I really like and hope to own one day...

Wal
Sei
GB
Enfield

No point putting all of those as I suspect that at least 14 would get no votes as no-one has heard of them let alone bought one!

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1365716168' post='2043538']

[/quote]

I've owned Wals, GBs, Statii??, Egypt, Overwater and all the 'stock' names: currently have an ACG Recurve and a Bass Doc/Cairnes 'Jazz' 5... there's just something about the way they play/feel. The point I'd make is that given ALL of the above are beautifully made/sounding instruments, you REALLY need to try as many as you can; so a big thanks to all of the shops who stock custom built units.

Sorry to say this Mick, but unless you've bought or tried-out a bass from each of 3-4 I don't think you have the right to vote here... imho
I'm sure all these guys named in this forum have produced some amazing pieces of work.

Maybe some owners can post pics and reviews of some of the beauties they own? If possible with sounds or videos? After all, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

[quote name='Gunsfreddy2003' timestamp='1365728025' post='2043713']
No point putting all of those as I suspect that at least 14 would get no votes as no-one has heard of them let alone bought one!
[/quote]

Well how wrong you are!

I know that there are examples from the majority of these luthiers owned by Basschat members - that's why I listed them as omissions from the list. I have tried basses from over half of them.

Also I would suspect that pretty much any luthier mentioned as missing in the thread would get a vote before Zoot does!

Edited by BigRedX