Why become a member? ×

Stage Presence - Do You Have Any?

xilddx

I drive the band to be as professional as possible, just because we are not pro musicians it is no reason not to try and look like pro musicians, anyway I aquired a decent lighting rig...the other members then turn the lights to face the wall because they are too bright...I suggested we should all have a dress code....general concensus was dress in black at all times....I suggested looking interested at the very least...guitarist says can't look interested and play at the same time!

This could be why we are not professional musicians but I still jump about like a demented whirling dervish

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1364922212' post='2032699']
To be perfectly honest with you , I've got a little bit too much stage prescence . I've got it even when I don't want it , like when I walk down the street or go to the supermarket . People notice me wherever I go . It gets to be a bit of a problem , especially when this stage prescence is perceived by the local constabulary as grounds to stop and search me on a regular basis .
[/quote]

I think that's probably more due to the fact you bear more than a passing resemblance to wee Jimi Krankee!

I seem to be receding in my stagecraft if anything! From playing in quite a popular group with record deal and distribution on big stages, having passed about 15 odd years and now doing pub rock covers, is a hell of a change!

Think that age catches up as well, but more from being in some sh*tty corner of a pub with a full rig, lighting etc doesn't leave much space to jump about. Still feels natural to do so if the song hits the right notes and mood, but have to find a balance. Sadly the days of screaming teenagers is a long way away. You tend to feel from the audience and react to their appreciation as well.

My singer has about 30 years of theatre behind him, suit my purpose, since I can be on the stage and not need to hide when he is there, I can be hidden in plain sight, everyone will look at him. Tried a solo gig without him, ended up stood in the corner facing the wall playing. Although at a Caricatures gig where new lady plan was present I totally showed of loads. thing is singer in that band was very much more practiced and really going for it after being tied to a mic stand due to playing bass in his other band, and was on the bar holding the ceiling.

I do a bit of moving round, but the main thing is eye contact with audience members which I consciously try to do.

Funnily enough, in both rock covers bands the guitarists have recently said "we" need more stage presence. This actually translates to the guitarists needing more stage presence...

Try this if your struggling to move ..

A couple of years ago I depped for a rock band at a small festival, my wife came and after commented that I moved around more than usual, which was a good thing, though the reason was it was a hot day and I'd spilt a pint over myself whilst setting up and the wasps where all over me.

Edited by lojo

Being & looking comfortable onstage is the main thing. Having a few stage moves doesn't hurt but the main thing is confidence & looking like you belong on a stage is the main thing!

Cultivating a bit of an image is good as well but it doesn’t have to be over the top (especially when you’re playing in the corner of a pub)! I’m not too keen on bands wearing uniforms or who have a ‘dress code’ – I can’t enjoy them for fear that any minute they will break into Mustang Sally, a medley of Motown hits or other such ‘family entertainment’…!

I make sure I get a place at the front; I make sure I move about; I interact with the crowd - but I'm a bit like Ray, it's often masking nerves. I never quite feel I'm doing any of it naturally. I know what I should do, I believe, so I do it!

That said, I'm told it does make a difference. You know it yourselves, when you see a show - you want to see someone getting into it, as the sense of energy is infection. Unless you're shoe-gaze/heroin chic, or some other type of music[i] where the apparent lack of presence is a presence in itself[/i], then you might want to have something up your sleave :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1364923557' post='2032736']

I think that's probably more due to the fact you bear more than a passing resemblance to wee Jimi Krankee!
[/quote]

But he used to be Victoria Coren. I think he's a shape shifter.

Anyway, back OT..

[quote name='dand666' timestamp='1364926610' post='2032820']
[url="http://youtu.be/ThZZnS4Jvwc"]http://youtu.be/ThZZnS4Jvwc[/url]

We take everything from these guys, from handshakes at beginning and end of gig to the clothes.
[/quote]

Handshakes! Now that's a bloody good idea. Hmmm, I might suggest it to one or both of the bands!

There seem to be 3 themes emerging here, namely
(1) Costume;
(2) Feeling comfortable;
(3) Acting up / showing off.

I have been playing live in front of people for over 30 years, so (2) is rarely a problem. The stage is a comfort zone, it's my gig and I'm in control (most of the time).

I think (1) helps a lot with (3), as it kinda gives you permission to be a show biz version of yourself. I used to dress up as Keef (wig, makeup, animal prints) in a Stones tribute band, and that was the first time I got into jumping about and drawing attention to myself rather than just trying to play the songs properly.

Conversely, in my current trios I am 'tied' to the mic most of the time, so despite the Western wear or shiny shirt (depending on the trio), my only arsing-about opportunities are during solos. Even so, it makes a big difference if you try to engage with the audience - fielding song requests, dealing with hecklers, or otherwise reacting to what the buggers get up to. If you just play the songs, you're missing a large part of the experience.

Interesting topic this.

I think you either have it or you don't when it comes to performing. I like to put on a show but my guitarist/lead vocalist has the stage presence of a wet cabbage. It used to infuriate me until, I realized after 140 gigs that its simply just not in him.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1364897593' post='2032238']
Do you really need to ask?

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/BigRedX.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/378184_281357718635147_688027078_n.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n249/BigRedX/382462_500846643264414_171284646_n.jpg[/IMG]

While I also like to craft recordings in the studio, for me live is really what it's all about and the chance to interact directly with our audience.

Like Nigel, I grew up on glam and then punk rock, so for me the idea of not looking my best and putting on a performance when I play live is totally alien. However I don't really "dress up" for gigs. What I wear on stage is only a slightly exaggerated version of what I wear the rest of the time that I am in public.

IMO giving value when you play live is more important than ever, especially since rock/pop music is moving towards a model where the live performance is the main product rather than the recording. Those bands who can't see the benefit of doing more than just playing the songs loud are going to get left behind.
[/quote].

Pretty cool gigs By the look of it ,;)

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1364909384' post='2032450']
One of the bands I play in just forked out for leopard skin bowling shirts (shudder). It's all showbiz and people have paid for a bit of a show. If you're playing to a paying audience you need to make a bit of an effort.
[/quote]

Yabba dabba doo?? ;)

Regarding what you wear...I think if you're all dressed exactly alike it looks like a cheesy show band. However, if you go for a general theme or colour scheme that looks really good!
Sadly, my main band does not really gel visually (or musically tbh but we'll draw a veil over that).
We have singer in a suit cos he's come straight from work, guitar in combats and sweatshirt cos that's all he ever wears, drummer fairly presentable in nice t shirt and jeans and me got up like an ageing rock chick. We are an ill assorted little bunch.
With side project at least me and (female) singer decide on a colour scheme and that pulls it all together.

Sometimes don't smile during gigs (although sometimes I smile a lot, usually when I'm laughing with my drummer at the back), people do ask me about it after I come off stage and it's not that I'm not happy, it's just that I have a tendency to concentrate sometimes.

Having said that I'm by far the most animated out of our band! I like to let loose sometimes, it doesn't hurt anyone and you can have great fun bopping about the stage - it's what it's all about after all isn't it?

I'm usually singing harmony so I'm usually at the front doing a lot of singing from the second verse onwards. I see my job as making the singer look good so I don't try to steal any attention, just support the front man, although if it's a quiet crowd I consider it my responsibility to hype up the people on my side of the stage. I'm not ugly or fat so I don't mind drawing some attention where necessary. Actually I avoid getting fat because I end up on stage a lot.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1364909738' post='2032461']
There is a misconception here that 'Stage presence' means having to jump around on stage.
IMO 'Stage presence' can come from being totally relaxed and confident on stage, not being timid, making eye contact, making the occasional excursion to the front of the stage, make as if you'd like to scoop up and embrace every punter - all at the same time as being totally focused on what you're playing.
Before going on stage it can help if you get in to the mind set that the audience are about to expeience something truly extraordinary, an almost religious experience. Of course all that's not going to work if you have no confidence in yourself or your band.
[/quote]

Another +1. People who think they have 'stage presence' because they jump about the stage are incorrect. It is 100% about connecting with the audience rather than pretending to be Johny Rotten. I must admit, I probably dont do what I say, but thats what I aim for.

Its one of my pet hates actually. Seeing a band who think they're rock'n'roll Gods, but they can't pull it off.

Karaoke on the other hand.... I think I'm jon bon jovi so therefore get the foot on the monitor, fist pumping, high kicks etc. Mainly cos I'll be steamin! haha

In one of my bands, The Tuesday Club, our singer has the most amazing stage presence. I never really noticed it when playing, but saw a live video of us where he was just doing stand-up vox, rather than playing guitar as he usually does (he probably broke the guitar). It was electric, a kind of cross between Iggy Pop, Mick Jagger & Johnny Rotten.

I then realised why the audience had been spell-bound at that part of the gig, as at the time, from where I was stood, he was just being a clumsy *rse.

But it has to be natural. If I were to do exactly the same, it would look, and indeed would be, completely contrived, whereas with him, well it`s just him. And that`s the thing really - your stage presence is you, but just a bit more. Try and be something/someone your not and it`s no stage presence at all.

I'm reminded of a classic YT video. It's probably done the rounds a thousand times, but it seems apt again in this thread. I won't embed it, but just in case there are one or two who haven't yet seen it...

'Mark Hoppus - Bassists Look Too Bored':

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF7vghzj6pk&feature[/media]

BB

Edit: I [i]tried[/i] not to embed it, but alas...

Edited by borisbrain