Why become a member? ×

Black basses: Cool or boring?

TRBboy

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1363706235' post='2016225']
'ere Liam, what's that you're playing in your avatar?
;)
[/quote]

Candy Apple Red' 86 Japanese Precision, complete with thumb rest and pickup covers. ;) The only black bass i own is my Ibanez GSR200, which is beaten to hell and is going to be completely covered in stickers when i can be bothered.

Liam

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363708642' post='2016300']
But they're not black - they are black and maple a completely different category.
[/quote]

I would guess that when most people refer to the colour of a bass and only mention a single colour, they are talking about the body colour. So you're telling me a red bass isn't a red bass unless it's got a red fingerboard? I think you're just being a wee bit argumentative for the sake of it.

[quote name='LiamPodmore' timestamp='1363706344' post='2016232']
Candy Apple Red' 86 Japanese Precision, complete with thumb rest and pickup covers. ;) The only black bass i own is my Ibanez GSR200, which is beaten to hell and is going to be completely covered in stickers when i can be bothered.

Liam
[/quote]

ahhhhh.... it was the lighting, ruining a perfectly good joke....
:)
BTW, that candy apple red P would look lovely with a black guard. :)

(I still have a red/white fender combo fear, i think it's hank marvin's fault)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1363708642' post='2016300']
But they're not black - they are black and maple a completely different category.
[/quote]

Is a red bass red if the fingerboard and neck isn't stained red ? Yes it is . As I have already pointed out , what nominates the colour of a bass is [u]what colour the body is painted [/u] - that's what a black guitar is . If you have some kind of obsessive monochromatic fixation that is your own business , but to the rest of the world a bass with a black body and a maple board and / or a maple neck / headstock is [u]BLACK .[/u] Guitars are not usually painted all one colour - they look strange when they are .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Muzz' timestamp='1363710765' post='2016365']
Go on then, let's have the categories...all black, mostly black, some black, kinda black... :rolleyes:
[/quote]

Hmm. I must admit I don't care for those mass produced 'gloss black' Basses you see (nearly) all the time.. but, I did once own a Westone thunder 1 in gloss black, so that's probably why (?) When I asked J.D. to make this one, I knew it was going to be.. kinda black... matt black, opaque black, translucent black...

[quote name='SimonEdward' timestamp='1363721407' post='2016592']
Hmm. I must admit I don't care for those mass produced 'gloss black' Basses you see (nearly) all the time.. but, I did once own a Westone thunder 1 in gloss black, so that's probably why (?) When I asked J.D. to make this one, I knew it was going to be.. kinda black... matt black, opaque black, translucent black...

[/quote]

Oooo, like that. I also like my Dingwall - kinda matt, kinda grain-textured, kinda blackburst. Still black, tho... :)

[sharedmedia=core:attachments:102653]

...although it does look kinda purple on that pic. It isn't... :D

Edited by Muzz

Thanks for all the replies guys, I guess the responses are kind of what I expected.

Just realised that the picture I posted in the first post is very small and crap, so here's a video of Marlowe DK playing exactly the same model that I've got:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNV9Vh3XKXI

Ok, Black & rosewood with no pickguard & blue strings...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/2607131595/][/url]

Or with silver strings & pussy magnet...

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/xgsjx/3003898456/][/url]

I love the black/maple combo, even if it doesn't pass the Nigel Tufnel "How much more black could it be?" test.

Every time I see a Sandberg pop up in that awesome blackburst finish they do I start googling "Where to sell a kidney".

Having said that,the two black basses and two black guitars I own all have rosewood boards.

Not a fan of black hardware though, I think it looks kind of cheap and tacky.