Why become a member? ×

Knot in the maple damaging my Jazz neck

fred8816

Thanks for the comments on the kitchen.

I keep my proper coffee in the freezer,the Illy to me is a lesser qualty coffee, which I only keep for guests who wouldn't appreciate the real stuff I use for myself. See pic below

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=W9qnVYiK-CuNLM&tbnid=K2_jKh60MfLmAM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valentinafinefoods.com%2Fshop%2Findex.php%3Froute%3Dproduct%2Fproduct%26product_id%3D712&ei=fmo-Uf65BOaW0QXVlIDQCQ&psig=AFQjCNECPB2EMgTSMJ18UVxAdCx0Z3U9bw&ust=1363131378130112"][/url]

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1363042860' post='2007629']
warm and friendly! What rubbish. A kitchen isn't about warm and friendly- it's about art. Amateur kitchens are warm and friendly but some higher kitchens are about more than that - you can't disagree unless you're kitchen is also aspires for greater.

Yeah but the Fender USA version is so much better.

Ah I see the wood tops you went for, very nice- though Vinnie Fodera's 2nd cousin once told me that as a tone wood it's not a great one to use for a top. It's too dark and cos of that makes the tone dark you see. I prefer my AAAAAAAAA spalted flamed russian koa which is soooo good it sounds amazing and gives such a warm friendly kitchen. Tone like anything.
[/quote]

If you had seen the sorry state of my current kitchen you would understand my admiration for GWs pad . I need a makeover . Is Carol Smiley still available ?

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363038026' post='2007525']
[b]Thank you[/b]...

Apologies for the off topic (big time) - it's only a small kitchen, the Ikea bloke came and measured the walls, the windows, and the entered the dimensions in his computer and came up with what you see below. In a very small space we managed to cram, sink, cooker, oven, dish washer, fridge / freezer, washing machine and enough cupboards for crockery, pans, cutlery and food stuff.

All I had to do was chosing the colour scheme and the type of surfaces, the cupboard doors and the paint scheme. The tiling was done by a higly skilled Hungarian chippy who also did the floors tiles, looks like laminated wood flooring but it's actually tiles. :)

[/quote]
I think you need to check for knots in your timber. Some of those cupboards look a bit warped in your photos.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363044999' post='2007663']
Thanks for the comments on the kitchen.

I keep my proper coffee in the freezer,the Illy to me is a lesser qualty coffee, which I only keep for guests who wouldn't appreciate the real stuff I use for myself. See pic below

[url="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=W9qnVYiK-CuNLM&tbnid=K2_jKh60MfLmAM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.valentinafinefoods.com%2Fshop%2Findex.php%3Froute%3Dproduct%2Fproduct%26product_id%3D712&ei=fmo-Uf65BOaW0QXVlIDQCQ&psig=AFQjCNECPB2EMgTSMJ18UVxAdCx0Z3U9bw&ust=1363131378130112"][/url]
[/quote] ah an espresso drinker. I tend to go for french press.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363038026' post='2007525']
[b]Thank you[/b]...

Apologies for the off topic (big time) - it's only a small kitchen, the Ikea bloke came and measured the walls, the windows, and the entered the dimensions in his computer and came up with what you see below. In a very small space we managed to cram, sink, cooker, oven, dish washer, fridge / freezer, washing machine and enough cupboards for crockery, pans, cutlery and food stuff.

All I had to do was chosing the colour scheme and the type of surfaces, the cupboard doors and the paint scheme. The tiling was done by a higly skilled Hungarian chippy who also did the floors tiles, looks like laminated wood flooring but it's actually tiles. :)

[/quote]

Never mind the knotted neck, you really need to get a new camera, or are all the walls just out of true....? Beaten to the comment!

Edited by yorks5stringer

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1363043471' post='2007645']
Good grief, look what that's done to the frets.
[/quote]

and to the kitchen! The walls are all bent too!

edit: I should have known somebody would have beaten me to it... :lol:

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='tauzero' timestamp='1363043471' post='2007645']
Good grief, look what that's done to the frets.
[/quote]

Similar vertical distortion to the kitchen pics, I think - is it the camera lens??...........lovely kitchen though Grand Wazoo - nice bass as well.

ANyone know if the OP got his Fender CS fixed yet?

Edited by drTStingray

I'm actually inclined to agree with the luthier.

We all know about Fender's less than perfect QC.. And I have a neck on my first ever Peavey with a knot that looks very similar to this one around the 17th fret... Which is exactly where the frets begin to buzz! It was my uncle who pointed it out to me, who happens to have been playing bass for the last 40 odd years, AND is an extremely talented carpenter, so knows his way around a plank of wood!

The issue could well be sorted with a fret dress and nothing more though! And with a bit of luck there will be no more drying out / moving by the wood,

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1363054734' post='2007731']
I'm actually inclined to agree with the luthier.

We all know about Fender's less than perfect QC.. And I have a neck on my first ever Peavey with a knot that looks very similar to this one around the 17th fret... Which is exactly where the frets begin to buzz! It was my uncle who pointed it out to me, who happens to have been playing bass for the last 40 odd years, AND is an extremely talented carpenter, so knows his way around a plank of wood!

The issue could well be sorted with a fret dress and nothing more though! And with a bit of luck there will be no more drying out / moving by the wood,
[/quote]

You know........you may be right? I've been reading this and the guy in question took it to two repair guys and both concluded it was the knot that caused the problem [url="http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55505&start=15"]http://forums.fender...=55505&start=15[/url]

Good old Fender QC.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363082387' post='2007955']
You know........you may be right? I've been reading this and the guy in question took it to two repair guys and both concluded it was the knot that caused the problem [url="http://forums.fender.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=55505&start=15"]http://forums.fender...=55505&start=15[/url]

Good old Fender QC.
[/quote]
But, if you read the whole of that thread you linked to, it's still in dispute as to whether they actually are knots and whether they are the cause of the problem.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1363041925' post='2007611']
...that really is a lovely kitchen. All clean and tidy, almost like you're a chef or [b]work on a boat[/b] or some other place where space is at a premium...
[/quote]

Well, what about that, Fran..? ;) You know GW only uses that cooker to light his fags off, don't you..? :D

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363087410' post='2008086']
But, if you read the whole of that thread you linked to, it's still in dispute as to whether they actually are knots and whether they are the cause of the problem.
[/quote]

I've googled for possible links on warping due to knots in the wood and there seems to be quite a bit of evidence, from experts, to support that over time a weakness can develop at the point of the knot. The OP has also asked for advice from Talkbass and The Fender Forum too and there is some anecdotal stories of similar problems from other bassists and guitarists. I have an open mind about it now.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='gjones' timestamp='1363090965' post='2008173']
I've googled for possible links on warping due to knots in the wood and there seems to be quite a bit of evidence, from experts, to support that over time a weakness can develop at the point of the knot. The OP has also asked for advice from Talkbass and The Fender Forum too and there is some anecdotal stories of similar problems from other bassists and guitarists. I have an open mind about it now.
[/quote]
Fair enough, but what he has pictures of is not at all a 'knot' according to some of the commentators; it's merely a grain pattern. So there still seems to be some confusion. What he seems to be describing as a 'knot' I have three of on the neck of my Precision and have had on other instruments with no problem.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1363087679' post='2008094']
Well, what about that, Fran..? ;) You know GW only uses that cooker to light his fags off, don't you..? :D
[/quote]

Nah! all food is cooked fresh in my kitchen, but I am very picky on cleanliness, so I always clean as I go, nothing is ever left to the side, specially with the dishwasher, I never even hand wash a spoon these days. Besides I've always got guests coming and going, I wouldn't want to be seen to be messy now, would I?

Let's not even start with the other rooms in the house, I hate mess, I dislike misplaced things and everything must go back in its place otherwise things would look untidy for me...

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1363091239' post='2008179']
Fair enough, but what he has pictures of is not at all a 'knot' according to some of the commentators; it's merely a grain pattern.[/quote]

^this. It's not a knot.
And if the OP's "knot" had moved enough to distort a fret or cause a buzz it would have shown itself in the join between the f'board & the neck.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1363094952' post='2008292']
^this. It's not a knot.
And if the OP's "knot" had moved enough to distort a fret or cause a buzz it would have shown itself in the join between the f'board & the neck.
[/quote]

So... have we established that it's knot a not, and therefore it's knot going to have any effect on the neck. And, if it is a not, it would.

Or have we knot?

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1363095150' post='2008308']
So... have we established that it's knot a not, and therefore it's knot going to have any effect on the neck. And, if it is a not, it would.

Or have we knot?
[/quote]

:huh: I'm knot sure........

Birdseye/flame obvious looks great. I have heard that high ratios of birdseye can lead to an unstable neck, but I wouldn't let it stop me enjoying a bass.

However, the OP's photo is a little alarming. I wouldn't have a clue if that is decorative or an issue. I haven't seen anything like that on a high end bass. The age would suggest that perhaps this isn't an issue from the wood....

The OP may well feel having been made a laugh of, and that would not be strange at all.

At any rate, I'd ask those who can only see the grain in the OP's pix, to have another look. There is definitely a little knot there - close to the edge. Actually, the third picture shows most of how the structure is. The first two might lead one to assume it's grain only.

However, I do not know anything about whether this (type of) knot would have any negative effect. Some patterns make the wood more resilient, whilst others weaken it.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor