Why become a member? ×

Knot in the maple damaging my Jazz neck

fred8816

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1362765016' post='2004559']
This is exactly why I avoid buying Fenders nowadays. Why use a piece of Maple with an irregular grain pattern for a neck in the first place? Surely its asking for potential grief?

Now; time to look out the suit of armour before the howling Fender mob descend upon me.
[/quote]

I think you enjoy the provocation.

Yes!!! About twenty years ago, I had a friend who had a bass with a similar knot in the neck of a bass from a different manufacturer. I helped him write a letter to the manufacturer and include pictures and claimed warranty from day one and that it had to be replaced. Yes, this knot is causing the grief, just like it caused the same grief to my friend. Do the same thing: contact the Fender custom shop, send pictures, explain what is happening, and demand a new neck.

Edited by iiipopes

[quote name='iiipopes' timestamp='1362777885' post='2004815']
Yes!!! About twenty years ago, I had a friend who had a bass with a similar knot in the neck of a bass from a different manufacturer. I helped him write a letter to the manufacturer and include pictures and claimed warranty from day one and that it had to be replaced. Yes, this knot is causing the grief, just like it caused the same grief to my friend. Do the same thing: contact the Fender custom shop, send pictures, explain what is happening, and demand a new neck.
[/quote]

After 23 years? I've a feeling I know what Fender are going to say.

[quote name='White Cloud' timestamp='1362765016' post='2004559']
This is exactly why I avoid buying Fenders nowadays. Why use a piece of Maple with an irregular grain pattern for a neck in the first place? Surely its asking for potential grief?

Now; time to look out the suit of armour before the howling Fender mob descend upon me.
[/quote]
I think maybe you are the one descending.

Well after having seen the pics in this thread I've had a good look at the back of my American Standard P Bass and I realized, (and want to show you all) that if I was to go by the judgement of that luthier in Exeter that my bass should be chopped and scrapped. Oh yeah, look at the grain, the nots and the imperfections all over the neck from the heel to the headstock, back and front. Jesus if that guy saw this neck he would think it was f*****d! :D

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363031486' post='2007377']
Well after having seen the pics in this thread I've had a good look at the back of my American Standard P Bass and I realized, (and want to show you all) that if I was to go by the judgement of that luthier in Exeter that my bass should be chopped and scrapped. Oh yeah, look at the grain, the nots and the imperfections all over the neck from the heel to the headstock, back and front. Jesus if that guy saw this neck he would think it was f*****d! :D

[/quote]

My GOD that is saucy! :gas:

[quote name='jackers' timestamp='1363031930' post='2007386']
that is a beautiful piece of maple GW :)
[/quote]

Never mind the maple , that's a lovely bit of kitchen tiling - that grouting looks like it was done by a professional - and the work surfaces look nice too .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363032309' post='2007402']
Never mind the maple , that's a lovely bit of kitchen tiling - that grouting looks like iit was done by a professional - and the work surfaces look nice too .
[/quote]

This is the sort of quality response basschat needs. More of this please. :)

Oh and anyway I've got an even uglier piece of maple on this one, this was so bad it was burnt ( roasted :) ) came out of Oxfam lol

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/5D3_5987_zps7789f1ab.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r200/xt660/5D3_5992_zpsbc7c86be.jpg[/IMG]

Never mind the maple , that's a lovely bit of kitchen tiling - that grouting looks like it was done by a professional - and the work surfaces look nice too .
[/quote]

Again you deliver, and again BC proves it's larger than the sum of its [s]components[/s] tiles, and that it can help us with all aspects of life. :)

[/quote]

[b]Thank you[/b]...

Apologies for the off topic (big time) - it's only a small kitchen, the Ikea bloke came and measured the walls, the windows, and the entered the dimensions in his computer and came up with what you see below. In a very small space we managed to cram, sink, cooker, oven, dish washer, fridge / freezer, washing machine and enough cupboards for crockery, pans, cutlery and food stuff.

All I had to do was chosing the colour scheme and the type of surfaces, the cupboard doors and the paint scheme. The tiling was done by a higly skilled Hungarian chippy who also did the floors tiles, looks like laminated wood flooring but it's actually tiles. :)

Edited by Grand Wazoo

[quote name='fred8816' timestamp='1362615627' post='2002370']
[size=5][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Does this happen often? I have never seen these type of patterns on a maple neck before, certainly not on a high-end instrument.[/font][/size]

[size=1][/size]

[/quote]

Both my 2006 Fender Precision 62 Reissue and my 2008 Lakland Skyline Decade have these so-called knots showing on the back of the neck. The Fender has three of them.

I've never had a problem with either neck.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363038026' post='2007525']
[b]Thank you[/b]...

Apologies for the off topic (big time) - it's only a small kitchen, the Ikea bloke came and measured the walls, the windows, and the entered the dimensions in his computer and came up with what you see below. In a very small space we managed to cram, sink, cooker, oven, dish washer, fridge / freezer, washing machine and enough cupboards for crockery, pans, cutlery and food stuff.

All I had to do was chosing the colour scheme and the type of surfaces, the cupboard doors and the paint scheme. The tiling was done by a higly skilled Hungarian chippy who also did the floors tiles, looks like laminated wood flooring but it's actually tiles. :)

[/quote]

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363038026' post='2007525']
[b]Thank you[/b]...

[/quote] that really is a lovely kitchen. All clean and tidy, almost like you're a chef or work on a boat or some other place where space is at a premium......

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1363041909' post='2007610']
Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] warm and friendly! What rubbish. A kitchen isn't about warm and friendly- it's about art. Amateur kitchens are warm and friendly but some higher kitchens are about more than that - you can't disagree unless you're kitchen is also aspires for greater.

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] Yeah but the Fender USA version is so much better.

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] Ah I see the wood tops you went for, very nice- though Vinnie Fodera's 2nd cousin once told me that as a tone wood it's not a great one to use for a top. It's too dark and cos of that makes the tone dark you see. I prefer my AAAAAAAAA spalted flamed russian koa which is soooo good it sounds amazing and gives such a warm friendly kitchen. Tone like anything.

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] MATE TRADE KITCHEN 4 MY TOP OF THE RANGE SQUIRE STRAT-ITS RED. MUST KNOW BY TONIGHT. NO TIM.

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] Nice custom colour. Did you know the Hungarian kitchen fitters association only released that colour for a limited period - super rare.

Very nice job all round . I like your taste . Thats looks like a very warm and friendly kitchen , and that's such an important room in any home .[/quote] back OT... I notice you keep your tea, sugar and coffee in tins on what looks like a wooden shelf. Do you find any knots in this wood affects it's tensile strength or do you find any problems happen when they sit on something unstable also on the shelf?

also... Wazoo.... try keeping your coffee in th fridge, or even better the freezer! ;) tastes better for longer, I got a illy tin just to do the same in the freezer.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' timestamp='1363034162' post='2007445']
Oh and anyway I've got an even uglier piece of maple on this one, this was so bad it was burnt ( roasted :) ) came out of Oxfam lol

[/quote]

Good grief, look what that's done to the frets.