Why become a member? ×

A Little Bit on the Side

seashell

For some time now I've been feeling a bit frustrated with my main band. Bored with playing House of the Rising Sun ad infinitum and irritated by the singer's cantankerous nature. So I've been making plans for a little side project.

I met a singer at the Academy where I have my bass lessons. We were in an end of term concert together and we got on well. So I got in touch with her and asked her if she'd be interested in getting together and trying out a few covers, just for fun. She said yes, and offered to drag along her fiance to play guitar.

I sensed that the drummer from my band was also getting a bit frustrated at times. So I tentatively texted him to ask if he'd be interested getting together with us. He replied that he wouldn't mind having a bit of a jam, but he wasn't interested in joining another band due to other commitments.

I met with singer again and we decided on a few things we'd like to try. Then booked rehearsal studio for a bit a practice last night. In the meantime, drummer texted me to ask if we could have a go at 'Come Together' by the Beatles as it was something he's always wanted to try but hadn't been able to with our current band. I thought that was a rather good sign that he was getting quite interested in our new venture! :)

So, we had a rehearsal last night and it went pretty well. I can't claim it was a perfect meeting of minds, talents and aspirations but we all enjoyed it and there were no unreasonable strops. At the beginning when I introduced everyone to each other, I made sure I thanked drummer for coming along and made it clear to the others that he was just there to help us try our a few things, but wasn't looking to form a new band or anything.

[b]However [/b]at the end of the evening, it was [b]drummer [/b]who said ' You know, I reckon if we had another couple of practices and concentrated on just two of those songs, we would be able to do them at the next jam night at Dog n Duck'. I was so delighted! Also felt a bit giggly and naughty, as we now have to confess to the rest of our main band that we will be appearing with another combo at our next regular jam night. (As well as with the main band of course, we aren't going to leave them in the lurch)

We think our guitarist will be fine with this. It is a jam night after all, and plenty of the regulars down there are with more than one band. All sorts of swapping around goes on. It's just that singer is such a funny bugger you never know which way he's going to jump.

We have booked our next rehearsal to follow on in the same studio after our rehearsal with the main band! For practical reasons really, so me and drummer won't have to turn out on two different nights. But it will force the issue of having to tell the others!

Sorry for long post, but I'm feeling a bit thrilled about this. I know this is very small beer compared to what most of you are involved in, but to me it feels like I've just stepped into someone else's life. I can't quite believe I've arranged all this and it's coming together so nicely.

That's great! I am friends with a local band called Rosewood. The drummer said he'd like to play with other musicians and so he now plays with 3 bands (including Rosewood). The rest of the Risewood guys are fully supportive of him, and go to the other bands gigs to support the drummer. I hope your "main band" can be as good natured.

When A Little Bit Outlaw come back together again in summer, i'll have that as well as being the lead guitarist for my friends acoustic stuff (Who's actually supported my main band) and on bass when she finally gets a full band together for it. In my eyes, the more gigging i can do, the better, as i'm always feeling best when i'm onstage.

Liam

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361439137' post='1985854']
Always get something out of playing with other musicians, different perspectives and all that. Hope the next jam goes well, you can get up with 2 different set ups and get more playing time in. Result!
[/quote]

Thanks, yes I was thinking along those lines. Also, I forgot to mention that with the new lot I'm going to be attempting some [b]backing vocals! [/b]Can't quite believe that either, but I tried some 'woo hoos' during Bohemian Like You last night, and the general consensus was that it sounded quite good so we're going to keep them in. :)

Nice story - I hope it progresses well.

I've been playing in two bands for the past 3-4 years but there are also various 'bits on the side' going on - of the musical type!

Two of the guys in one band regularly play acoustic duos locally. Myself and a guitarist from each band have jammed a few times together. One of the guitarist also does a sort of comedy uke act and I've played on, recorded and produced a CD of his songs.

It all adds a bit of variety.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361479805' post='1986488']
Nice story - I hope it progresses well.

I've been playing in two bands for the past 3-4 years but there are also various 'bits on the side' going on - of the musical type!

Two of the guys in one band regularly play acoustic duos locally. Myself and a guitarist from each band have jammed a few times together. One of the guitarist also does a sort of comedy uke act and I've played on, recorded and produced a CD of his songs.

It all adds a bit of variety.
[/quote]
In a similar vein....

I was in a five piece band when i lived in Tenerife

I also was in a duo with the singer....and....

a duo with the drummer (he played guitar).......and........

a duo with the keyboard player....and....
A trio with the drummer and the keyboard player...

The drummer played solo(as a guitarist obviously :rolleyes: )....so did the singer ...

The singer and the lead guitarist played as a duo....I occcaisionally "guested "with them ...

we all played with "other" musicians in various line ups .....
It was what we did to earn a living .....
It also was great fun.....

It also lead to me being able to play a bass line ....think about a new bass line to the same song...and then playing it ...and singing ( well I called it singinig ;) ).....and wondering what I was going to have for supper ....all at the same time!!!

All of this ot drivel is just to say .....go for it ....what doesn't kill you makes you stronger :D

In my main band all 4 of us do other things on the side. We just have an agreement that the main band is our priority, we have a hotmail account which we can all access and keep the calendar up to date so we each know what the others are doing and when. For me personally, the side project is very important. It gives me chance to do stuff I can't really do in the main band, and that stops me getting frustrated. And as others have said working with new musicians doing new stuff can be like a new lease of life. Enjoy it, hope it all comes together for you.

Good for you. If you feel frustrated by your musical 'day job' then you've got a few choices:
a)Put up and shut up (not good in the long term),
B) Quit and look for something else (not ideal),
c) Do something extra to bring back some of the excitement and spark.

Option C is by far the best. Best of British for your musical endeavours, and congratulations on a choice well made!

Nobody in either of these bands should have a problem with this. If they do (looks towards stroppy singer...) then it IS their problem. And if someone has a problem to such an extent that they throw a strop and walk, then they were the problem, and you no longer have a problem - plus the drummer won't have so many commitments if that happens so........

But, like I said, everyone should be fine with it. Its not like you're all 16 any more, in your first band is it?

With the gig situation around here over recent years, every musician I know is in 3 or more bands just to get the diary filled up :)

If your main band singer doesn't like it, just tell them to go practise House of the Rising Sun!

The more playing you do, the better you'll get - and that benefits all of your bands :) Anybody with an ounce of common sense would not object. Have fun!

My main band is on hiatus due to no drummer and vocalist with nodules. I'm looking to do a bit of a side project but a bit worried the singer won't take it well. She's already worried we'll replace her due to her condition, which isn't helped by her partying.
I wanna do a crazy musical 3 guitar jazz fusion/heavy Rock experimental thing. But can't find a drummer in the leigh/wigan, gtr manchester area!