Why become a member? ×

Re-recording of Please Please Me

Lozz196

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1361011109' post='1979667']
I was going to put this in the other thread but your comment gives me the ideal opening...

Some people see the versatility as a strength. For me it's a weakness, as if they can't really make up their minds what they want to do. Classic albums are fantastic all the way through. With The Beatles from Rubber Soul onwards each album will have some songs you really like, but also some songs you really hate, and the rest somewhere in between. So for those of us who weren't swept up the the phenomenon at the time, The Beatles are a band who made some great songs, but they also made a load that weren't so good as well (and some that were simply crap), and so are really just like any other band that's ever existed.
[/quote]

+1

[b]MB1. B) [/b]
[b]Switched the tv on and was confronted by Beverley Knight doing some of that "cant quite hit the right note but i know its here somewhere?"Mariah Carey styley vocal .Upon realising it was supposed to be a Beatles number i switched over sharpish.[/b]
[b]I prefer my Beatles by the Beatles.[/b]

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1361011019' post='1979663']
Yes, of course I do.
Hard not to.
I did at one time have the first Beatles LP down note perfect on the bass and vocals at the age of 15, but that was after Buddy Holly, Eddy Cochran, Johnny Burnette etc.
I don't own a single bit of Beatles product and never have, though I know most of their output.
I'm just sick of their all reaching never ending iconic status.
It's a bit boring now to bang on about 50year old tunes as if they are genius and it saddens me that people don't think we have progressed much from that point.
Also, other artists covering Beatles songs never sounds anything other than wrong to me, because their tone and sound was such a massive part of why their stuff worked.
So Beverly knight etc all sound a bit lame.
You may as well have had Bruce Forsyth introducing them all and tinsel drapes etc.

Beatles, great, tunes, Northern English perspective at a time of great cultural change etc,all of that, but very old news now.
[/quote]

+2

What a pointless exercise. Back in early 80's Birkenhead when I was a teenage fledgling bass player, no one I knew listened to the Beatles. They were seen as old hat and there seemed to be a real desire amongst local bands to escape the legacy of the whole Merseybeat thing. They have had undoubtedly had a huge influence, possibly more so in recent years than back then, but yeah totally agree, the whole musical nostalgia thing is hugely depressing. Move on now please.

Edited by JellyKnees

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1361021854' post='1979888']
They have had undoubtedly had a huge influence, possibly more so in recent years than back then, but yeah totally agree, the whole musical nostalgia thing is hugely depressing. Move on now please.
[/quote]

Fair point about musical nostalgia hindering people moving on, but there has to be a good reason for it. Until something better comes along people will stick with what they like. The very fact that there's still all this fuss about The Beatles after 50 years is an indication that they got some things right. Perhaps there's a lot of resentment against them because others have tried and failed to duplicate their success?

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1361022366' post='1979903']
Fair point about musical nostalgia hindering people moving on, but there has to be a good reason for it. Until something better comes along people will stick with what they like. The very fact that there's still all this fuss about The Beatles after 50 years is an indication that they got some things right. Perhaps there's a lot of resentment against them because others have tried and failed to duplicate their success?
[/quote]

They undoubtedly did get a lot of things right, but musically a lot of their stuff sounded pretty quaint even back in the 80s. They were of their time, they wrote some great songs, but I find the idea that there has been little progress since them bizarre. I don't resent them, I'm just bored of people banging on about them. Perhaps it's because I work in Liverpool where the whole Beatles memorabilia machine is inescapable. Matthew street was much better when Probe records was in the middle of it, and there was none of the current tourist tat...

[quote name='hunt the shunt' timestamp='1361034549' post='1980146']
Has this replaced the other thread?
[/quote]
It looks that way.
I only caught Difford & Tilbrook doing Please Please Me... well, at least they attempted it... if I was the uncharitable type I would describe it as 'totally vibeless' :(
the whole musical nostalgia thing is hugely depressing. Move on now please.
[/quote]
This may come as a surprise, but it's perfectly possible to 'move on' and still appreciate The Beatles, and what they did.

[quote name='JellyKnees' timestamp='1361024186' post='1979927']
they wrote some great songs, but I find the idea that there has been little progress since them bizarre.
[/quote]
This was a problem in the other Beatles thread - statements seemingly plucked from the air. Has anybody actually said 'there has been little progress since them'? IAC what does 'Progress' actually mean?

being just about around at the beginning of the Beatles thing Please Please Me is one of my favourite Beatles LP's, just love stripped down raw rock and roll which is why punk was such a breath of fresh air in 77.
They should have got the Backbeat band to do it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFBLqfKLng

I've just watched it - it started well but soon slipped into mediocrity. Please Please me was horrendous, they left half the chords out! The covers I seemed to enjoy the most were the ones by the artists I normally have little time for - Hucknall was fantastic. Fave performance was probably by the guys from The Fourmost, Merseybeats etc - a bit rusty but very authentic.

[quote name='MB1' timestamp='1361021234' post='1979869']
[b]MB1. B) [/b]
[b]Switched the tv on and was confronted by Beverley Knight doing some of that "cant quite hit the right note but i know its here somewhere?"Mariah Carey styley vocal .Upon realising it was supposed to be a Beatles number i switched over sharpish.[/b]
[b]I prefer my Beatles by the Beatles.[/b]
[/quote]

yes agreed.

beatles was never supposed to be soul'ful

i was hoping to hear rock and roll, it was NOT rock and roll. hence my disappointment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtpO6bkbKiE

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1361041957' post='1980335']
This may come as a surprise, but it's perfectly possible to 'move on' and still appreciate The Beatles, and what they did.
[/quote]

What, by re-recording one of their albums? How is that moving on?

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1361041957' post='1980335']
This was a problem in the other Beatles thread - statements seemingly plucked from the air. Has anybody actually said 'there has been little progress since them'?
[/quote]

Well I was responding to this statement by flyfisher 'Fair point about musical nostalgia hindering people moving on, but there has to be a good reason for it. Until something better comes along people will stick with what they like.' But, like whatever...

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1361001294' post='1979534']
Really enjoyed it. Not usually a fan of Mick Hucknall but thought his was a great performance. Stereophonics great, although horrid drumming.

Like Lozz said, that Beverley Knight can certainly sing but for me, she overdid it. Vocal equivalent of a tooo widdly guitar solo :)

All in all though, good T.V.
[/quote]your'e right about that drummer.. Yuk

Edited by rogerstodge

In the context that there are few interesting music programmes on the box it was entertaining to see a really diverse selection of people tackling some old classic songs and a reminder of how albums were made in those days.

Like it or not the album was a breath of fresh air at the time and like Dark Side of the Moon, Never Mind the Bollocks etc is a classic.

Some interesting takes on old familiar songs even if not to all tastes.

A shame Beverly Knight murdered the last song. Great voice, just stick to the notes in question luv.

[quote name='Martin E' timestamp='1361093575' post='1980799']
....In the context that there are few interesting music programmes on the box it was entertaining to see a really diverse selection of people tackling some old classic songs....
[/quote]

I didn't see the program, but when they did this with the Sgt Pepper album it was interesting to see who could really play and who can only play in the contect of their own band.

The Stereophonics were great, which is why they were probably asked back.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1360996231' post='1979524']
I think guitar, bass and drum based pop/rock will have to seriously decline in popularity before that happens.
[/quote]

This has happened in pop music, especially R&B. Musicians are either rapidly being replaced by DJ's or playing synth keyboards and triggers.

I felt is was all a bit 'so so' and sounded a bit uninspired. It would've been nice if they'd takken the originals and 'taken them somewhere'. At least Beverly Knight put her stamp on it. It filled an hour I guess (there were worst things on tv)

Just watched this on iPlayer.

It's been a while since I last listened to the original album in its entirety (at least 30 years) and my musical tastes have moved on since then, but I'd forgotten how much filler and second-rate covers there were on that record. The singles and a couple of the other tracks are great but the rest is all a bit "meh". For me "With The Beatles" is their first proper album.

As for the program itself. Talk about the definition of "phoning it in"! A bunch of lack-luster performances, padded out with schmaltzy strings. I would imagine this would have been everything The Beatles with their rock n roll roots would have been against at the time they recorded the album originally. It was as though the performers were doing their utmost to suck all the energy out of the songs. The Stereophonics sounded like the most average of pub rock covers bands. The only vaguely creditable performance IMO was that of "Boys" by the various members of other 60s Liverpool bands.

All-in-all a somewhat pointless exercise. I'd have rather seen a handful of new pop/rock bands each trying to make a 30 minute album in just under 10 hours using the technology of the day. Where the emphasis is on capturing the performance in a single take and the only mixing is balancing the vocals (with a bit of added reverb) against the instruments. That for me would have been interesting viewing.

IIRC it was 1978 when a boxed set of singles was released; I bought a couple of them, "Get Back" was one can't remember the other. Nor can I remember whether there was a reason at the time for the release. They were all in green card sleeves & I believe each one had a contemporary pic of the band on the reverse.
I don't think it was an anniversary of any kind, maybe just someone thought it was about time. But it was, because I remember the times well, when the charts were chock full of bland.
[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1360996231' post='1979524']
I think guitar, bass and drum based pop/rock will have to seriously decline in popularity before that happens.
[/quote]
New wave was pretty much at it's peak but wasn't dominating the charts, it was about on par with disco - and a whole lot of cack.
Since then there's been a fair few other sets, remasters, re-remasters; much of it I'm guessing to be aimed at completist fans who feel compelled to buy them. I know for a fact it's often the tactic behind many remaster sets.

Edited by Big_Stu

+2

What a pointless exercise. Back in early 80's Birkenhead when I was a teenage fledgling bass player, no one I knew listened to the Beatles. They were seen as old hat and there seemed to be a real desire amongst local bands to escape the legacy of the whole Merseybeat thing. They have had undoubtedly had a huge influence, possibly more so in recent years than back then, but yeah totally agree, the whole musical nostalgia thing is hugely depressing. Move on now please.
[/quote]
I lived through the birth of The Beatles and saw Beatlemania first hand and agree with a lot of that. Their popularity certainly dipped in the 80s and although you'd still hear their songs on the radio there didn't have amount of popularity they do today. They were as you say old hat. It wasn't until the 90s that things really took off again. I'm sure that if we'd have had these discussions about the Beatles in the 80s it would have fizzled out pretty quickly due to lack of interest.

[quote name='steve-bbb' timestamp='1361016062' post='1979774']
am i the only one who finds it musically irritating when harmonies/basslines/chordprogressions dont move when they are supposed to? :huh:
[/quote]

You don't know what are going to be the important elements of a song (the ones that turn a good song into a great memorable one) until you find them missing on someone's cover version. Often it's something the people who actually wrote/recorded the song originally don't realise because they are too close to the process to see it.

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1361020419' post='1979852']
Did they really record like that? All in one room with no separation or isolation of instruments. Sound smearing & leaking out from one microphone and instrument to the next. Gee!
[/quote]

Yes. Since it was all mixed live to 2-track (one for the vocals and one for the other instruments) and then bounced to mono with maybe a bit of extra reverb, separation really didn't matter. Separation is only important if you are going to record everything to its own track and then mess about with the balance of the instruments and arrangement later on.