Why become a member? ×

Re-recording of Please Please Me

Lozz196

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1360966224' post='1979317']
Just watched this on BBC4. All were good, but my faves have to be The Stereophonics doing I Saw Her Standing There, and Beverley Knight doing Twist and Shout. Man, that girl can sing!
[/quote]

yep, my 2 faves as well. What amazed me was actually how much better the origionals were than all the covers last night, all that extra layering with strings and choirs/backing singers took something away.
Just 4 blokes and some guitars, made me re-appreciate just how bloody good they really were!

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1360979582' post='1979494']
One day, the Beatles will go away.
Sadly not in my lifetime but...
[/quote]

I think guitar, bass and drum based pop/rock will have to seriously decline in popularity before that happens.

Really enjoyed it. Not usually a fan of Mick Hucknall but thought his was a great performance. Stereophonics great, although horrid drumming.

Like Lozz said, that Beverley Knight can certainly sing but for me, she overdid it. Vocal equivalent of a tooo widdly guitar solo :)

All in all though, good T.V.

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1361003336' post='1979552']
Interesting idea for a programme, I have to agree though the covers were too much orchestration, would have been better to see 4 guys trying to do it. I preferred the originals. Ian Brodie sounded rough...or was it just me?
[/quote]

You`re right there Russ, he was a bit off certainly in the 1st verse.

Yes, of course I do.
Hard not to.
I did at one time have the first Beatles LP down note perfect on the bass and vocals at the age of 15, but that was after Buddy Holly, Eddy Cochran, Johnny Burnette etc.
I don't own a single bit of Beatles product and never have, though I know most of their output.
I'm just sick of their all reaching never ending iconic status.
It's a bit boring now to bang on about 50year old tunes as if they are genius and it saddens me that people don't think we have progressed much from that point.
Also, other artists covering Beatles songs never sounds anything other than wrong to me, because their tone and sound was such a massive part of why their stuff worked.
So Beverly knight etc all sound a bit lame.
You may as well have had Bruce Forsyth introducing them all and tinsel drapes etc.

Beatles, great, tunes, Northern English perspective at a time of great cultural change etc,all of that, but very old news now.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1361011019' post='1979663']
Yes, of course I do.
Hard not to.
I did at one time have the first Beatles LP down note perfect on the bass and vocals at the age of 15, but that was after Buddy Holly, Eddy Cochran, Johnny Burnette etc.
I don't own a single bit of Beatles product and never have, though I know most of their output.
I'm just sick of their all reaching never ending iconic status.
It's a bit boring now to bang on about 50year old tunes as if they are genius and it saddens me that people don't think we have progressed much from that point.
Also, other artists covering Beatles songs never sounds anything other than wrong to me, because their tone and sound was such a massive part of why their stuff worked.
So Beverly knight etc all sound a bit lame.
You may as well have had Bruce Forsyth introducing them all and tinsel drapes etc.

Beatles, great, tunes, Northern English perspective at a time of great cultural change etc,all of that, but very old news now.
[/quote]

+1

[quote name='the boy' timestamp='1361010287' post='1979652']
It really surprises me when I meet people who don't like the Beatles. Their work is so wide and varied. Do you not like any of it?
[/quote]

I was going to put this in the other thread but your comment gives me the ideal opening...

Some people see the versatility as a strength. For me it's a weakness, as if they can't really make up their minds what they want to do. Classic albums are fantastic all the way through. With The Beatles from Rubber Soul onwards each album will have some songs you really like, but also some songs you really hate, and the rest somewhere in between. So for those of us who weren't swept up the the phenomenon at the time, The Beatles are a band who made some great songs, but they also made a load that weren't so good as well (and some that were simply crap), and so are really just like any other band that's ever existed.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1361004239' post='1979563']
I only caught the guys from Squeeze doing PPM, and to be honest though it was mediocre. Thanks for the recommendations for the others though, I love Beverley Knight's singing and energy.
[/quote]

[quote name='tonyquipment' timestamp='1361015364' post='1979757']
nice attempt but doesnt do justice to the originals.
[/quote]

this - def mediocre compared to some of the output we have become accustomed to from difford and tilbrook

am i the only one who finds it musically irritating when harmonies/basslines/chordprogressions dont move when they are supposed to? :huh:

Edited by steve-bbb

Reminded me of something they said about Burt Bacharach songs : if you forget to play or neglect all those small things (a tiny organ, a special guitarlick, etc) your brain feels alienated since it is used to those personal fills.
I experienced the same thing yesterday while watching : things The Beatles did were missing sometimes though these are essential to the feel of the song (like in Please Please me or Do You want to know a secret)

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1361018045' post='1979811']
The version of Please Please Me was awful and embarrassing to watch and listen to. It was so bad it had me cringing. The young girl who sang A Taste Of Honey was good.
[/quote]
Totally agree with the version of Please Please Me being awful.

I don't think that i've ever heard a complete song by the Stereophonics but thought they were excellent. Really good singer and played in the spirit of the Fab Four. Great effort!!!

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1361019538' post='1979833']
It was a pleasure watching a friend of mine Phil Mulford playing bass for most of it. The other bands that weren't the house band were hit and miss musically but it was a nice idea.
[/quote]

Yes it was :) Did you notice his cheeky fills in Twist and Shout? We have suitably taken the piss on facebook ;)

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1361019538' post='1979833']
It was a pleasure watching a friend of mine Phil Mulford playing bass for most of it. The other bands that weren't the house band were hit and miss musically but it was a nice idea.
[/quote]

I'd like a quid for every time i'd seen Phil playing over the years. He always does what a bass player is meant to do. Great player!!!

Only caught the last 4 songs from Mick Hucknall, Graham (I wish I wasn't here) Coxon, The Merseybeats and Beverly Knight.

Did they really record like that? All in one room with no separation or isolation of instruments. Sound smearing & leaking out from one microphone and instrument to the next. Gee!

It was OK. The Merseybeats production seemed to be the closest in spirit, but oh, Beverley Knight. EEeeeeeggggggghhhhh aaaagh ooooohhhh oooooooooohhhhhhhhh, yeahhhh, yeeaaahhh. Please please me and recreate the essence of the original. That's what she was supposed to be doing, not turn it into a fake-soul-fest.

Balcro

Edited by Balcro