Why become a member? ×

Re-recording of Please Please Me

Lozz196

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1361001294' post='1979534']
Really enjoyed it. Not usually a fan of Mick Hucknall but thought his was a great performance. Stereophonics great, although horrid drumming.

Like Lozz said, that Beverley Knight can certainly sing but for me, she overdid it. Vocal equivalent of a tooo widdly guitar solo :)

All in all though, good T.V.
[/quote]

Interestingly the sterophonics drummer was using sticks while Ralph Salmins, the drummer for the rest of the session, stuck to brushes and canes. Ralph is a great session drummer and obviously felt the occasion merited a more subtle approach.

Edited by gjones

[quote name='Balcro' timestamp='1361020419' post='1979852']
Did they really record like that? All in one room with no separation or isolation of instruments. Sound smearing & leaking out from one microphone and instrument to the next. Gee!
Balcro
[/quote]

In my band we record like that now, everything live. Only overdubs are we put the vocals on afterwards - although we do have a live vocal going whilst playing - and guitar solos.

[quote name='OliverBlackman' timestamp='1361102390' post='1980988']
This has happened in pop music, especially R&B. Musicians are either rapidly being replaced by DJ's or playing synth keyboards and triggers.
[/quote]

Bass players made similar claims in the 80's too about synth replacing them, yet here we all are!

Anyway, back to post #1

Lozz196 summed it up nicely, Beverley Knight's vocal was frankly astounding. Her performance of Twist And Shout was a fitting climax to the programme and the applause of the other musicians and singers present was spontaneous and real.

Loved it!

Great stuff!

[quote name='Slatfatf' timestamp='1361137919' post='1981793']
Anyway, back to post #1

Lozz196 summed it up nicely, Beverley Knight's vocal was frankly astounding. Her performance of Twist And Shout was a fitting climax to the programme and the applause of the other musicians and singers present was spontaneous and real.

Loved it!

Great stuff!
[/quote]
Well music is all about opinions......................................... :rolleyes:

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1361145894' post='1981971']
Just watching it now on BBC4. An interesting project and worth doing IMV. Quite liking I Am Kloot's version of Chains. BTW the bassist with the Foremost doing Boys was Billy Kinsley (but I could be mistaken).
[/quote]
The Merseybeats. I thought that The Merseybeats were they only artists that got anywhere near to the spirit of any of those songs that made up the Please Please Me LP. I'm not saying that that was the idea of the programme/project but they were they only ones who got close to the feel of the original LP.
It's probably a generation thing but i can't relate to I Am Kloot or Stereophonics doing those songs as maybe another generation can. Doesn't mean it's not good though and can be appreciated by others.

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Oopsdabassist' timestamp='1361003336' post='1979552']
Interesting idea for a programme....
[/quote]
Aye, and in December they'll be doing the fiftieth anniversary of "With The Beatles", and next year they're doing "Hard Days Night" and "Beatles For Sale", then in 2015 they're doing.....

....some real original thinking.

In my extremely well informed, etc: Most of them just didnt get it. Far be it for me. A lifelong Beatles [i]hater[/i], to throw my hat in to the ring, with any enthusiasm............

... But surely the point of looking back on that album from todays point of view is the simplicity it was recorded with. The 2 tracks or whatever it was. With vocals on one track, lead, rythym, bass and drums on the other. All recorded in a day in under 10 hours, was pretty much their live act on record. ?

But..

Some of them had half the London Philharmonic with them with a few dozen (Ahem) [i]backing singers [/i](family members, frieinds owed favours etc) for good measure. [i]Totally [/i]missed the point. Ruined a load of already twee songs by throwing everything but the kitchen sink at them. DUH!

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when Beverly Knight, (Whoever she is ?? Had to [i]Google [/i]that one) turned to the camera, near the end of her effort and gave a big thumbs up. She honestly thought that she had nailed it or something. Good grief woman, you were so far out of whack maybe you came out the other side of the looking glass or something, turning white into black and back to white again. Like some sort of vocal, Sabbatier effect. (look it up,)

MAN ALIVE.Her effort was bad, but funny, which nearly made up for wasting an hour of my precious Life Force.

PS: even the "[i]rarely give a bad performance". [/i]Difford and Tillbrook, were only average[i]. [/i]But then you cant make a silk purse out of a cows arse (or something) Glad to see that Glen has lost the [i]goat[/i] beard. Now if only he'd give back that bloody ukulele to Tiny Tim.! (you know what to do)

PPS: Steve, only just seen your post above (rarely do I read long threads before posting, in case anyone has been funnier or more incisive than me) Glad to see we think along a similar vein. :)

Edited by daz

As a result of this thread I watched the program last night.

Clearly, from the first number onwards, the intention wasn't to remake the Beatles versions of the songs. That was a good thing.

While several artists couldn't cut it there were many who gave cracking performances. On my headphones, the Stereophonics were great, including their drummer! And how could anyone criticize Beverly Knight??

I'm looking forward to the With The Beatles show.

[quote name='mckendrick' timestamp='1361151605' post='1982023']
Aye, and in December they'll be doing the fiftieth anniversary of "With The Beatles", and next year they're doing "Hard Days Night" and "Beatles For Sale", then in 2015 they're doing.....

....some real original thinking.
[/quote]

I dont know wether that will happen The idea behind this show was to demonstrate how the beatles recorded this album in one day. and have other artists re create this.
With the beatles was recorded in dribs and drabs between July and Sept 1963.

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1361179546' post='1982152']
I dont know wether that will happen The idea behind this show was to demonstrate how the beatles recorded this album in one day. and have other artists re create this.
[/quote]

But it wasn't. Four of the tracks on Please Pleas Me - the two singles and their B-sides had already been recorded, so they were only in the studio to do the 10 other tracks needed to make a 14 track UK album.

TBH I don't see what all the fuss is about. Any band that can't nail "live" versions of 10 tracks with an average time of just over 2 minutes each, given almost 10 hours in a good studio with and excellent producer and engineers, really shouldn't be recording in the first place.

Edited by BigRedX

Guess it's the same in the UK as anywhere around here in Belgium, Holland, etc..... people going on in trying to convince people how right they are in endless posts.
Tiring to read the same opinions as in the other Beatles thread as if some of us can't stand the idea that those four musicians changed music forever.
Just putting a metronome next to all these geniusses-to-be in studio 2 in Abbey Road might make them a bit more humble..
I enjoyed the program a lot..On Belgian tv there is nothing to see for musicians (we have a political program in which a band is allowed to play one song, that's all there is in one week) so I turn to the BBC to see all these great things I miss..
You don't know how lucky you are to have shows like Jools and all these fine documentaries... beats Belgian chocolate in my opinion, I'm ready to trade.

In my opinion, it was pretty cringeworthy for the most part. The Stereophonics did the best job, I hate all these slowed-down, string sectioned, quivering voiced covers doing the rounds on adverts at the moment and a few of the covers went down that route.

Please Please me was particularly rubbish, at least play the chords of the song!

The most interesting part of the program was seeing how they recorded it. All open, no screens, half with headphones...some handy tips.

Liked Stereophonics performance and very professional of the chap from I am Kloot to carry on when the headphones were sliding off his head ;) I would have hoped for stronger performances from some of them though, especially Difford & Tilbrook who always come across as very pro Beatles so that was a bit lacklustre. Thought Graham Coxon was the poorest on the whole.

[quote name='ben604' timestamp='1361184624' post='1982265']
In my opinion, it was pretty cringeworthy for the most part. The Stereophonics did the best job, I hate all these slowed-down, string sectioned, quivering voiced covers doing the rounds on adverts at the moment and a few of the covers went down that route.

Please Please me was particularly rubbish, at least play the chords of the song!

The most interesting part of the program was seeing how they recorded it. All open, no screens, half with headphones...some handy tips.
[/quote]
Cringeworthy sums it up nicely for me. As i said before, the Merseybeats captured the spirit of it best (that may be a generation thing) and the Difford & Tillbrook effort is best forgotten.

was the bass player in the Stereophonics doing an 'economical' bass line to standing there? This is the one I've been unsuccessfully trying to play, at the right speed anyway
D--------6-----9-----7--6--------6-----9-----7--6
A--7--7-----7-----7--------7--7-----7-----7------
E------------------------------------------------

G------------------------------------------------
but I can manage the Stereophonics one comfortably .

Edited by PaulWarning

Thank God I'm not the only one Paul. I struggle with it as well, seen a few different variants and tbh I think a more economical version of not returning to the root note part way through the riff makes it much easier without it sounding particularly 'wrong'. I think I might just get the 'proper' version up to speed if I work on it a bit more. I reckon it's a bit easier on those violin basses with their tiny necks, as long as your hands are small enough as well ;) It wouldn't be so bad if it was on 'E' all through the verse but then there's that quick jump to the 'A' and then back to the E that trips me up as well! I'm not sure if even Macca himself was playing the 'full' version on the e-proms gig that was on the same night on bbc4 as the abbey rd doc.

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361195175' post='1982506']
I reckon it's a bit easier on those violin basses with their tiny necks, as long as your hands are small enough as well ;)
[/quote]
lol, that's what I tell myself as well, "I'd like to see that smart arse McCartney play that on a P neck"

[quote name='PaulWarning' timestamp='1361193549' post='1982455']
was the bass player in the Stereophonics doing an 'economical' bass line to standing there? This is the one I've been unsuccessfully trying to play, at the right speed anyway

G------------------------------------------------
but I can manage the Stereophonics one comfortably .
[/quote]

Yes, I think the one played by The Stereophonics was just the regular rock n roll bass riff. Still sounded good though.

[quote name='KevB' timestamp='1361195175' post='1982506']
I think a more economical version of not returning to the root note part way through the riff makes it much easier without it sounding particularly 'wrong'. I'm not sure if even Macca himself was playing the 'full' version on the e-proms gig that was on the same night on bbc4 as the abbey rd doc.
[/quote]
following a bit of advice from a fellow Basschater I slowed it down and moved it up an octive using Audacity (the bass being on one channel on the stereo version helped as well) and I think that might be the way Macca plays on the record as well, so maybe we should stop beating ourselves up over it

They are all pretty standard left hand rock and roll piano parts based around Root 3 5 6 8.

It's easy. Anchor your miiddle finger on the root then play the other notes with the your index and little fingers. Just flatten your middle finger to play the 4 if there's one in the riff.

When you're done with those try:

EE AbE BE DbB | EE AbE BE DbB || etc

and

EE DbE BE AAb | EE DbE BE AAb || etc