Why become a member? ×

Message to Bilbo re Beatles thread

niceguyhomer

I’ve just come back on briefly to apologise to Bilbo for my outburst yesterday, regardless of what was said it was uncalled for and I’m genuinely sorry. Somebody mentioned in the post that it was out of character and it was, as anyone who knows me will testify.

For the record, I understand that the Beatles aren’t everybody’s cup of tea and that’s fine, each to his own and all that. I’m all for reasonable debate and the occasional bit of banter and don’t think for a moment that my opinion is any more valid than anybody else’s. I happen to like the Beatles, but that said, they’re way down on my playlist.

Unfortunately, the red mist descended yesterday because it felt to me - having posted something I thought was reasonable, based on experience and contributed to the thread, that it’s got to the stage now where you can’t post anything on here these days without someone micro-analysing it and then ripping it to pieces just to have a little snipe and wind you up.

No doubt I’ll get flamed for this as well but I’m going to say it anyway - I’ve been a contributor to this forum and its previous manifestations for a long time now and I’ve made a lot of good friends in the process for which I’m grateful but there’s a small group of idiots (not you Bilbo) who drag this place down to the point where it’s just not worth taking part anymore and for that reason it’s probably time to Beatle off.

Apologies again Bilbo, no hard feelings from me fella.

FWIW I briefly met Alan at one of the early Northampton bass gatherings when he drove down with Russ (Rayman) and he seemed a very decent bloke so I'm sure it was indeed out of character. I don't think Bilbo or ayone else would want you to voluntarily leave over something like this.

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1360679594' post='1974464']
Alan is a great guy, and, I have to say I agree with his comments. There really does seen to be a lot of numpties surfacing in this forum making incredibly naive comments.
[/quote]

SVT!!! TIM!!! Whore Clown!

Twas surely well done to apologise, homer, but why immediately continue with a post that essentially says that you are right and the others wrong, only to finish it off with:

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1360672446' post='1974245']
there’s a small group of idiots (not you Bilbo) who drag this place down to the point where it’s just not worth taking part anymore
[/quote]

I don't get this way of proceeding. In fact, i feel it's another attempt at putting yourself in the right, and without having an open dialogue. Should we all guess whether it's us? What have the idiots done to drag the place down? What can be done to reverse this process?

As you and I never had any contact or dispute as far as I know, allow me to come with an observation as a bystander: For at least half a year, but probably longer, your messages have come across to me as frustrated and aggressive - not as constructive towards the level of communication on here. So in my mind, your have been contributing to the downslide your describe, not trying to hinder it.

A farewell is helping nobody.
If you have enjoyed BC previously, and I assume you have, then please stay and be a part of the solution.

best regards,
bert

edit: spelingue

Edited by BassTractor

I thought it was most out of character as well, so I hope Bilbo reads this...

maybe change the title to JAZZ sucks or something, then he is sure to..

FWIW... I wanted to pitch into the bunfight, but don't know who to pick on :lol: :lol: :lol:

So I have posted about U2/Adam C and AC/DC .. :lol: :lol:

It was me who suggested it was out of character for you, it's fine and great you apologised.

Been really frustrating the past few weeks on the board. A lot of wind up merchants and massive displays of ignorance which I'm not at all used to seeing on here older and newer members alike, does make me think twice about using the forum nowadays but then to be honest it's all a bit silly anyway as we're all free to dip in and out of posting as we please. It's only the Internet isn't it, nothing to change your life or 'out.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360678997' post='1974448']

Mm... I like Bilbo, and I like niceguyhomer, too... but who is better? There's only one way to find out...
[/quote]

I'm sensing a Harry Hill thing going on here. And I like it.

Anyway... Mr Homer, don't throw in the towel just because of an argument. I don't know what it was about, but it probably wasn't worth leaving the forum over. I will say though, whatever went down, it's decent of you to apologise.

[quote name='risingson' timestamp='1360686920' post='1974695']
Been really frustrating the past few weeks on the board. A lot of wind up merchants and massive displays of ignorance which I'm not at all used to seeing on here older and newer members alike, does make me think twice about using the forum nowadays but then to be honest it's all a bit silly anyway as we're all free to dip in and out of posting as we please. It's only the Internet isn't it, nothing to change your life or 'out.
[/quote]

I haven't noticed anything really other than the obvious one or two donuts, but then it's quite likely that I'm one of the said offenders! I do try to stay out of trouble though.

Despite the few negative posts here and there, the forum is still a really cool place to be as far as I'm concerned. There's bound to be the odd disagreement, but really, it would be ruddy boring if we all sat around typing "hear, hear" on every thread.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1360687905' post='1974720']
I haven't noticed anything really other than the obvious one or two donuts, but then it's quite likely that I'm one of the said offenders! I do try to stay out of trouble though.

Despite the few negative posts here and there, the forum is still a really cool place to be as far as I'm concerned. There's bound to be the odd disagreement, but really, it would be ruddy boring if we all sat around typing "hear, hear" on every thread.
[/quote]

One of the things I adore about Basschat is the sometimes heated discussions about divisive subject matter, that are almost always civil despite heated exchanges. Only once in a while do they become exothermic, sometimes with new members, sometimes with old members having a bad day. Very occasionally it becomes like watching a fracas outside the pub, morbidly fascinating while being rather distasteful. But I doubt the participants feel bad for more than a day or two, and when the bruises have gone, all is usually well.

I believe we learn a lot from people arguing strongly held beliefs, it's only when they descend to petty name calling and general lack of respect that they can make Basschat look partly puerile, and get uncomfortable to be a part of. But the umpires always step in.

I have to say though that I hate to see threads locked unless there is a good legal reason, or if it looks like someone may get bloodied. Other than that, I rarely see 'bad' threads, I think those who say they do are a being a bit oversensitive.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360691526' post='1974832']
I believe we learn a lot from people arguing strongly held beliefs, it's only when they descend to petty name calling and general lack of respect that they can make Basschat look partly puerile, and get uncomfortable to be a part of. But the umpires always step in.

I have to say though that I hate to see threads locked unless there is a good legal reason, or if it looks like someone may get bloodied. Other than that, I rarely see 'bad' threads, I think those who say they do are a being a bit oversensitive.
[/quote]Well i've never seen this so shut it Nigel the smigel! Na na na na na. I'm the king of the castle and your the dirty rascal. Everyone smells of wee and poo but me! :D B)

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360691526' post='1974832']
One of the things I adore about Basschat is the sometimes heated discussions about divisive subject matter, that are almost always civil despite heated exchanges. Only once in a while do they become exothermic, sometimes with new members, sometimes with old members having a bad day. Very occasionally it becomes like watching a fracas outside the pub, morbidly fascinating while being rather distasteful. But I doubt the participants feel bad for more than a day or two, and when the bruises have gone, all is usually well.

[/quote]

excellent. 10/10. :)

I wasn't going to say anything in this thread but I thought that after reading the one negative post contained herein that I would after all.

Never a more stand up guy have I met than Al. I've had the pleasure of being a guest in his home albeit briefly and shared many a good craic with him over the few years I've known him.He's always been on hand for any help and advise I've sought and I would be proud to be considered his friend.
I honestly don't think I've ever heard a negative or derisory comment from him and I don't remember ever reading one on here that's made me think Whoa apart from the the obvious one. I knew right of the bat that it was very much out of character, I'm pretty sure that everyone who knows him would also say the same.
To say he's contributed to his downfall is a bit wide of the mark to say the least and I just wanted to say as much on here.
B)

[quote name='niceguyhomer' timestamp='1360672446' post='1974245']
No doubt I’ll get flamed for this as well but I’m going to say it anyway - I’ve been a contributor to this forum and its previous manifestations for a long time now and I’ve made a lot of good friends in the process for which I’m grateful but there’s a small group of idiots (not you Bilbo) who drag this place down to the point where it’s just not worth taking part anymore and for that reason it’s probably time to Beatle off.
[/quote]

+1 Homer, in the old days you could be pretty honest on here, there were a lot of gobsh*tes (me foremost amongst them no doubt), but you felt you could say what you want and rely on folks taking it on the chin in the spirit in which it was intended, even if it got a little heated on occasion. There's a few guys on here now who appear to generic forumites, who appear to sit at their screen all day waiting for a post on one forum or another to which they can take offence/personally/issue with, irrespective of subject matter. Having had a noodle around this evening I was amused to see someone getting all hormonal at WoT in a thread about the Royal Mail. Can it go any lower? At least the Beatles are worth getting excited (or not excited) about.

To his credit, Bilbo took it on the chin yesterday, but then he's old school as well.