Why become a member? ×

Message to Bilbo re Beatles thread

niceguyhomer

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1360761621' post='1975967']
This thread seems to be developing into a bit of an argument, just like the
Beatles one.

Why cant people just let it go ?

The guy had the guts to apologize. The apology was accepted.

That should be the end of it. It just seems like arguing for the sake of it.
[/quote]

That's right, but someone (Mr X) raised a different issue and we're arguing abut that now because yet someone else (Mr Y) disagreed with with Mr X and got personal. That ok? :)

We perhaps would all benefit from a little perspective review here? After all, the Beatles, bunch of Norvern Munkeys.

It's easy to debate the ins and outs of motive and moral standing when armed with a keyboard, heaven knows I do it. Sometimes a man hug and a beer would be the ideal approach. Keep with it Alan you are valued.

Peter

[quote name='gsgbass' timestamp='1360718290' post='1975503']I'm Glenn, the old man that posted The Beatles. I'm kind of an outsider being from the states. You guys are super to get into it, and make you points etc. The way everyone has. If nothing else comes out of The Beatles topic, Be proud they were from the UK. [/quote]

Cheers Glenn - that's a great point you make and rest assured you're no outsider on account of being on the sunnier side of the pond :)

What I love about the Basschat community is that no matter how heated or even childish the arguments get on here, they pale in comparison to the abuse I've seen hurled around on other music forums.

Maybe it has something to do with the average age of most folks here. Or maybe it's a product of the easy going psyche common among bass players ;) But the BC community is undoubtedly a very inclusive, friendly and accepting bunch of people - and that's a rare thing on the Interweb.

My advice? If the red mist descends and your blood starts to boil, then don't post a reply immediately. Sleep on it and see if you feel the same way the next day. Nine times out of ten you won't, which avoids a whole bunch of hasty anger-venting that can lead to forum fracus.

And besides, Bilbo has accepted 'Homer's apology. Job done. [i]"Move along now people, nothing to see here..."[/i] etc.

Edited by Skol303

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360760533' post='1975936']

OK, there's a lot here to delve into.

First, I never said anything about the IMHO thing, and I do not think like that. Furthermore, I react negatively to the notion that you would assume I did, and would start critisising me on the basis of that straw man.

It seems that you and I have different views about how to treat people who say "sorry". But I said to him what I wanted to say to him, and am not participating in a downslide with you now. We're very close, as I hope you'll agree.

But FWIW, I did [b]not[/b] try to wind him up, I [b]never[/b] try to wind people up, I [b]never[/b] bait willingly. I really hate that stuff with a vengeance.

I'm sorry you got a completely wrong idea about what I represent, and will take this with me. I will be trying to be even more clear than I already think I am. Just like in the post of mine that you responded to, I like to try to be simple, transparent, honest and direct, without any hidden agendas.

FWIW2: To be quite open about it, I was concerned about his health and/or state of mind. As mentioned, I felt I'd seen a change in his postings. But one doesn't easily say that on a forum, and to a person one doesn't know anything about. It can be very confrontational, be interpreted as a weapon, and can easily be taken the wrong way (in many ways at the same time), and thus result in a type of war that I certainly didn't want to cause.
But I thought that my words might hold up a little mirror in front of his face, and he could after that respond in any way that he'd choose. I hoped he'd realise that I had a point, and would decide to be more careful, or of course that he would disagree and tell me. For reasons unknown to me, he has not responded AFAIK.

If you can't see how my first post can be seen any differently, I don't think I can assist. I think you're wrong about that, and you're surely wrong about my intentions, but I have no idea about what I could do to change that.
It be so.

Why I assumed you meant me? Well, statistics kinda clearly showed that people by large exclusively patted him on the back, whilst my post was not like that. I remembered my post.

As to the group of idiots, yes, I did ask myself whether I had been an idiot and belonged to that group. No, I did not believe that he meant me as a member of that group.

Your phrase "just wondering" is strictly speaking not true. You have specific reasons for asking exactly that. I'm not going into that area though.

Peace? Hm. Now I am wondering.
But yes, I do wish peace upon you.

best,
bert
[/quote]

I am too am not splitting hairs over the IMHO bit but I never said you had used it.

That may have been Your Sentiment and I hope it was but that's not how it came across to me. I am sure your buddy nige got it however.

I really was" just wondering " btw

And the word peace is normally what I put as a goodbye like cheers or regards just as you alway use "best"

Anyway enough said, fair to say we share different Opinions on most topics.

Peace
D

Edited by swanbrook

[quote name='Skol303' timestamp='1360762779' post='1976010']
...Maybe it has something to do with the average age of most folks here. Or maybe it's a product of the easy going psyche common among bass players...[/quote]

Are you saying we're old pushovers..?

And besides, Bilbo has accepted Homer's apology. Job done.
[/quote]

Yes, in Post #12. He should have locked the thread himself there and then, to stop any further pointless... D'OH!!

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360747059' post='1975613']
I had a similar sounding experience on a photography forum once. The wars between the Leica/Canon/Nikon fanboys were something else, but that was nothing compared to the chemical vs digital wars.
[/quote]

As is so often the case, FF makes a very good point.

I mean, we have all these terribly meaningful spats about 'Fenders vs Other' and The Beatles and Expression and Tribute bands and stuff, while out there on a million other forums people are arguing violently about cameras and hi-fi and cars and IV fertilisation and who's better, Tesco or Morrisons.

All different topics with one thing in common - that they are being discussed on the internet, a place where we can't see peoples' faces, hear their tone of voice or know anything about them apart from - perhaps - a few chance remarks about their lives.

In the absence of these cues, we tend to see the opinion first and the person a long way behind that. Maybe that's why our sang-froid deserts us from time to time and we forget we're dealing with real people with real feelings.

Admin Rich used to have a sig that said something about tolerance or whatnot. Perhaps he'd be kind enough to stick it up again, because it was a good one.
[color=#FFFFFF].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1360764181' post='1976058']
...Rich used to have a sig that said something about tolerance... ...perhaps he'd be good enough to stick it up again, because it was a good one.
[/quote]

Totally unacceptable! How could you even [i]think [/i]of making such a suggestion when this would lead to an escalation of (cont. p.94)
[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by discreet

Sometimes in an idle moment I think to myself " What would the World be like if all the effort people put into fighting wars and hurting each other was put into helping each other and making the World a better place ? " . Then I go on Basschat and see people falling out over whether a maple fingerboard sounds brighter than a rosewood one ( it does ) and I know why my dream of World peace will never come true .

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360768479' post='1976156']
Sometimes in an idle moment I think to myself " What would the World be like if all the effort people put into fighting wars and hurting each other was put into helping each other and making the World a better place ? " . Then I go on Basschat and see people falling out over whether a maple fingerboard sounds brighter than a rosewood one ( it does ) and I know why my dream of World peace will never come true .
[/quote]

Some of those wars are over rights to wood sources, maybe we should all go phenolic.

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360768991' post='1976169']
Some of those wars are over rights to wood sources, maybe we should all go phenolic.
[/quote]

I'm all in favour of that , but what kind of phenolic sounds best ? Is phenolic as good as it used to be ? What kind of phenolic would Jaco have used ? Are they worth the money ?

The only way out of this is to go to a Soviet - style system where you work for years to buy a State - made bass designed by a comittee of bureaucrats . The bass will look like a cross between a Fender Musicmaster and a council estate , and will play and sound awful that you will wish you were giving birth instead of trying to knock out a tune on it . We will all agree that the Beatles and Elton John are great artists , because they will be the only pop music we have ever heard .

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1360769768' post='1976186']We will all agree that the Beatles and Elton John are great artists , because they will be the only pop music we have ever heard .[/quote]

But we'd have to listen to them on those bootleg vinyl postcards, which will generate lively, healthy friendly debate on whether vinyl is better than CD.

What I love about the Basschat community is that no matter how heated or even childish the arguments get on here, they pale in comparison to the abuse I've seen hurled around on other music forums.

Maybe it has something to do with the average age of most folks here. Or maybe it's a product of the easy going psyche common among bass players ;) But the BC community is undoubtedly a very inclusive, friendly and accepting bunch of people - and that's a rare thing on the Interweb.
[/quote]
f*** off you P£$%K **** arse t!"T &^% 8*(() b%£$%&^&d *&^ll(9ks. Mutha F%^&^&*, Sh&^ wipe!

Edited by Lord Sausage