Why become a member? ×

Expression.

steve-soar

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1360240612' post='1967166']
One man's Irn Bru is another mans Coca Cola.

One man's beautiful sonata is another mans ear bleeding racket.

It's all getting very Ground Hog day isn't it.

Personally i think Mark King is Better than Flea, so Tim.
[/quote]

Of course :)

If it moves you that's all that matters.

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360238585' post='1967118']

(if I were going to be aggressive in my argument here I would say that maybe my playing is so crap that you would not respect any points I might make about bass guitar, but unless you know all these people are and why I brought them up, please don't talk sh!t to me about art)

[/quote]

Exactly. Its within your field to know that stuff. Its within my field to play and know the bass. Whatever I think about it in a philosophical way is an amateurs point of view and I would NEVER argue with an expert in the field of analysing schools of thought. So call it whatever you want, structuralist, platonic thats your job and I dont have the right to question it because my knowledge is limited. THAT would be arrogant...and I frankly dont care either.

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360222270' post='1966794']
What you say sounds pretty fair except for the simple fact that the meaning of words is not subjective.

[/quote]

Words a means to communicate. They are entirely subjective. To one person, "yes that is good" means that it is good, but could be improved. To another person, it is recognition that they have achieved something.

Just my 2p

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360241124' post='1967178']
Of course :)

If it moves you that's all that matters.
[/quote]

Nail on head mate.

I've been recommended CD's and after buying them I've only played them once because I've thought it was nothing but a din. But the music has moved someone, maybe to take up playing an instrument. Which is brilliant.

My favorite saying........You don't listen to music..you feel it.

If my ears and brain give the music I hear a big thumbs up...top notch. I won't loose any sleep if i see a guy play bass and there's a little fret buzz or his technique is crap...it's all in the ears...thumbs up or down.

I don't really care if some techno bass playing wizzard thinks my playing is crap......I go out with the band, have a good time, get loads of satisfaction when the band locks together and rocks and wait for it...................have fun. I have no desire to be a bass playing wizzard because the music I play don't demand it, and I don't have time to put in as much practice as I should. There are more important things in life.

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360241458' post='1967186']
Exactly. Its within your field to know that stuff. Its within my field to play and know the bass. Whatever I think about it in a philosophical way is an amateurs point of view and I would NEVER argue with an expert in the field of analysing schools of thought. So call it whatever you want, structuralist, platonic thats your job and I dont have the right to question it because my knowledge is limited. THAT would be arrogant...and I frankly dont care either.
[/quote]

your answer doesn't work.
Everything you say or think about art and music and culture is predicated on a theoretical understanding of the world.
Even from an amateurs point of view you are using these theories in what you are saying.

"Art being Pure."
"Art being more than Entertainment"
"Clowns are less than art, or a lesser form of art" or even "clowns being the antithesis of an artist"
and so on are statements of theoretical belief - sure I've read books than mean that I could pull these ideas apart - but it's you that is using them and at the very least need to understand that your definite assertions are based on these not-so-definite theoretical assertions. But it's you using them to make an argument - not me, so it's you that needs to at least explain where your ideas come from.

I'll give an example.
Two people are arguing about a topic. Lets for this example use Euthanasia. And they both have differing views on the subject. They talk for hours and hours getting more and more annoyed that even though they both seem to be taking each other's points onboard their opinions are not changing or being modified.
Later they realise that one of them believes that life is a result of evolution and biology (though is no expert) and that that is where his views come from and the other was rasied in a religious household and believes that life comes from a God (though is no expert) their entire disagreement on euthanasia came down to a different theoretical/theological/philosophical idea of what life is.

If you understand where someone is coming from you can start to understand them and why they think the way they do, it's the same as the way that you use the terms "art" and "entertainment" - you are using definite ideas of what you mean by them in ways that haven't been used in UK/US culture since the 1950's and then are surprised that people don't understand you?

[quote name='Johngh' timestamp='1360242056' post='1967202']
Nail on head mate.

I've been recommended CD's and after buying them I've only played them once because I've thought it was nothing but a din. But the music has moved someone, maybe to take up playing an instrument. Which is brilliant.

My favorite saying........You don't listen to music..you feel it.

If my ears and brain give the music I hear a big thumbs up...top notch. I won't loose any sleep if i see a guy play bass and there's a little fret buzz or his technique is crap...it's all in the ears...thumbs up or down.

I don't really care if some techno bass playing wizzard thinks my playing is crap......I go out with the band, have a good time, get loads of satisfaction when the band locks together and rocks and wait for it...................have fun. I have no desire to be a bass playing wizzard because the music I play don't demand it, and I don't have time to put in as much practice as I should. There are more important things in life.
[/quote]

No John, THAT is nail on head!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1360242782' post='1967214']
a) your answer doesn't work.
b )But it's you using them to make an argument - not me, so it's you that needs to at least explain where your ideas come from.
[/quote]

a) It works. It works perfectly. It may not work for you but that's another story.

b ) Actually no. I don't need to tell where my ideas come from. Because I don't care in the same way an amateur bass player doesn't get better than he needs to get.
The main difference here is that it's not me demanding to be respected in a philosophical forum... but here all amateurs and inmstrument collectors demand their views to be respected as if they were the ultimate truth. I'm very sorry but that's not going to happen. Not until you know more than me in my field. My apologies but that's the way it is and it has nothing to do with peoples value as human beings. It's all about knowing your place....You get that point don't you?

It's your urge to know were my thinking comes from so its your job. You have the tools, not me.

People use math all the time without knowing the theoretical part. Does it mean they can't use math?... Please.

Edited by Antiloco

Well, well well. You could blow me down with a feather..! At least, now, I know my place, miserable earthworm that I am (and drummer to boot..!). There is now a definitive source, fountain of knowledge on all matters bass (or even music..?). It's been a long time coming; rejoice, rejoice. All hail...

So...

What's best for metal, a P or a J..? (Shhh... He's thinking...)

Edited by Dad3353

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360247162' post='1967310']
The main difference here is that it's not me demanding to be respected in a philosophical forum... but here all amateurs and inmstrument collectors demand their views to be respected as if they were the ultimate truth. I'm very sorry but that's not going to happen. Not until you know more than me in my field. My apologies but that's the way it is and it has nothing to do with peoples value as human beings. It's all about knowing your place....You get that point don't you?
[/quote]

No, perhaps not respect, but the members here are demanding politeness - and that has everything to do with their value as human beings. Amateur or not, you will provide that to them.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1360247568' post='1967320']

No, perhaps not respect, but the members here are demanding politeness - and that has everything to do with their value as human beings. Amateur or not, you will provide that to them.
[/quote]

Sorry but threats don't work here. I'm having a civilized discussion so please feel welcome to argument without abusing your role as a moderator.

[quote name='Gust0o' timestamp='1360247568' post='1967320']
[/quote]

Well said Gust0o :)

Antiloco also please bear in mind many of these people that you have been talking down to are in fact professional bass players.

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360247971' post='1967334']
Sorry but threats don't work here. I'm having a civilized discussion so please feel welcome to argument without abusing your role as a moderator.
[/quote]

I don't think you understood Gust0o's message, so I'll make it a bit easier to understand.

You will be polite and civil to the members here. Or you can leave the forum. Your choice, pick one.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1360248155' post='1967338']

I don't think you understood Gust0o's message, so I'll make it a bit easier to understand.

You will be polite and civil to the members here. Or you can leave the forum. Your choice, pick one.
[/quote]

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360247971' post='1967334']
[/quote]

I make no threats. I'm in much more binary mood :)

You have, over the course of this week, failed to have a number of civilised conversations. I have asked you before to consider the impact of your posts on others - I will now ask you to consider the impacts of your posting for yourself, should you continue to post in such an antagonistic fashion.