Why become a member? ×

Expression.

steve-soar

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360226345' post='1966876']

Totally agreed, thank you.

At last someone with brains thats doesnt need to rely on the "arrogance" or "troll" card to defend their insecurities and lack of understanding. Shame on the rest of you.
[/quote]

Did you believe my description of your tone as arrogant to be a defence of my insecurities and lack of understanding? If so, what exactly do you believe my insecurity to be, and what don't I understand?

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360192697' post='1966662']
It is. But why is it?
[/quote]

Xilddx, this is baiting. I know emotions have run high on similar matters recently but if a thread is locked can we please try not carry over the reason for the disagreement to another thread?

[b]At last someone with brains[/b] thats doesnt need to rely on the "arrogance" or "troll" card to defend their insecurities and lack of understanding. Shame on the rest of you.
[/quote]

This is completely unnecessary and insulting, it will also encourage members in the future to find a reason to argue with you. Please be more careful with your wording in the future to avoid these situations

At last someone with brains thats doesnt need to rely on the "arrogance" or "troll" card to defend their insecurities and lack of understanding. Shame on the rest of you.
[/quote]

OK mate, time for some honesty. You feel people misunderstand what you mean by art and entertainment, and you also don't understand what arrogance means.

[b]1. [/b]Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
[b]2. [/b]Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others.

From your posts and your PMs to me, there is no question that you are arrogant. And you are in a very precarious position. A professional classical concert pianist with the same attitude as you would rip you to pieces in this game you are playing. But music is not a game. And the vast majority of professional highly skilled musicians draw their inspiration from many sources. Music as an art is a communication tool for your humanity. You need to fill your humanity with positive energy, you seem full of negative energy and bitterness that the majority of people can not understand the complexity of your music. However, When I listen to your music and then listen to Sir John Tavener, or Arvo Part, or Elgar, your music seems very simple.

You are a very talented musician, but I can no longer enjoy what you do.

Edited by xilddx

[quote name='xilddx' timestamp='1360231443' post='1966970']
OK mate, time for some honesty. You feel people misunderstand what you mean by art and entertainment, and you also don't understand what arrogance means.

[b]1. [/b]Having or displaying a sense of overbearing self-worth or self-importance.
[b]2. [/b]Marked by or arising from a feeling or assumption of one's superiority toward others.

From your posts and your PMs to me, there is no question that you are arrogant. And you are in a very precarious position. A professional classical concert pianist with the same attitude as you would rip you to pieces in this game you are playing. But music is not a game. And the vast majority of professional highly skilled musicians draw their inspiration from many sources. Music as an art is a communication tool for your humanity. You need to fill your humanity with positive energy, you seem full of negative energy and bitterness that the majority of people can not understand the complexity of your music. However, When I listen to your music and then listen to Sir John Tavener, or Arvo Part, or Elgar, your music seems very simple.

You are a very talented musician, but I can no longer enjoy what you do.
[/quote]

Sure, whatever makes you feel good.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1360237505' post='1967093']
Thanks, but it's from Happy Jack who I believe may have got it from the Internetz in the first place.
[/quote]

Is true ... as is:

[IMG]http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m496/h4ppyjack/Just%20Stuff/GIF%20files/SpinningGirl.gif[/IMG]

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360236953' post='1967073']
My future is now and it's not a matter of luck but sure.
[/quote]

Our careers as musicians are mostly based on luck. There is an enormous number of highly accomplished instrumentalists in the world, but getting employment, or a worthwhile recording contract is mostly luck. Even with a pedigree it is hard to find work for the majority of musicians, especially in your virtuosic field. I'm afraid musical ability is the basic requirement for the gig, you also have to add all the other ingredients to be chosen over all the other superb musicians who are up against you.

[quote name='Antiloco' timestamp='1360222270' post='1966794']
What you say sounds pretty fair except for the simple fact that the meaning of words is not subjective.

"Entertainment is something that holds the attention and interest of an audience, or gives pleasure and delight. It can be an idea or a task, but is more likely to be one of the activities or events that have developed over thousands of years specifically for the purpose of keeping an audience's attention." -Wiki

So you should ask yourself: How pure is something that's made with the sole purpose of satisfying an audience?

Don't play the arrogance card on me, it's getting pretty old and tired by now.
[/quote]

So I can't claim to be anywhere near as accomplished as you as a musician, which based on some of the comments you've made would keep me from having valid points in the discussion but I do have degrees, undergraduate and postgraduate, in the field that this touches on.

You are taking a strict structuralist view here on where language gains meaning - but even in that there is a certain subjectivity in how they are understood. A more up to date understanding of how language is formed would say that many of the meanings and understandings of language is utterly subjective and relative. It's important to note that while dictionaries codify language to an extent that they are written after the word has entered the language, and that the English language is constantly evolving- so to an extent the usage of words is utterly subjective. (I appreciate that this isn't easy for someone with English as a second language)

The fact is most people here understand the argument you make based on your definition of the word "entertainment" - and the replies arn't as much disagreeing with you but "yes, but..." responses. May I politely suggest that you look to define further what you mean by "entertainment" by using different words- but here we run into another slight problem with your theoretical argument, which for the sake of this discussion I hope I will be permitted to point out.

What do you mean by [b]art[/b]? Most the points you put forward people would agree with up to a point but the disagreement comes when you apply a much theoretically stronger idea of what art is than others are using. It's not wrong to do so but you need to at least talk about where this concept comes from (and be prepared for that concept to be critiqued as well) - so what concept of art do you use? Plato's? Ruskin's? Matthew Arnold's? Clement Greenberg's? or one of the many others?
(if I were going to be aggressive in my argument here I would say that maybe my playing is so crap that you would not respect any points I might make about bass guitar, but unless you know all these people are and why I brought them up, please don't talk sh!t to me about art)

For instance - "how pure is something that's made with the sole purpose of satisfying an audience?" my main problem here isn't your argument or what you are saying - but the use of the word "pure" without substantiation.

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='steve-soar' timestamp='1360239242' post='1967131']
I've just looked at this from posting last night, 3 pages, cool, I thought, some other nice examples of expression will be within these 3 pages......how wrong I was. :(
[/quote]

That's the way goes sometimes mate.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgN9OjMXgw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgN9OjMXgw[/url]

I still don't see why all these 'Coltranes' and the like have to go 'widdly widdly' over a potentially lovely piece of music. It certainly spoils the whole thing. Some folks seem to have no taste. A shame, it started off quite well, for jazz... :mellow: