Why become a member? ×

What's In Your Hardcase.....Strap Attached?

spongebob

To gigs, I always carry all my leads, etc. in my bass hard case.

However, I put my newish Mono strap on the P-bass, and with everything else already in the case, it won't shut!

Now I never take off my straps normally - but it looks like I'll have to, and also get a box to carry it all in!

Am I in the minority here? Or should I have got a decent leads box years ago.....and take off the strap every time I put it in the case (a right pain!)?

I used to use a hard case and separate bag for peripherals. The strap is always attached to the bass.
Then I got a semi-rigid case (actually two, but I always use the Protec rather than the Mono) and it's brilliant. Great protection, easier to carry round and store, and big pockets for all the leads etc. An immediate convert, I gave the hard case away on BC.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359978208' post='1962692']
The only thing I dislike about my hiscox case is that my basses don't fit if I leave the strap on---and the strap doesn't fit in the case when I take it off. Grr.
[/quote]

That doesn't sound like the best of case designs; unless your strap is made of chain mail. :)

My bass case will take the bass with strap on ( :blink: ) or it has a space in the foam for a rolled up strap, spare strings & I use an old 35mm film cannister to hold picks.
Aaaay! A place for ev'rythin', and ev'rythin' in it's place, by gum!

A photographers aluminium case, £20 your cash from Maplins for soldering iron, spare jacks, screws, etc.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359978208' post='1962692']
The only thing I dislike about my hiscox case is that my basses don't fit if I leave the strap on---and the strap doesn't fit in the case when I take it off. Grr.
[/quote]

+1. other than that, I keep a set of spare strings and a a battery for my clip-on tuner in the case, everything else in either a bag, or case, depending on which band I`m playing with.

Bass, Strap (Not attached) spare tuner, spare strings for guitarists, spare batteries and some small tools. All cables, effects, etc.. are kept in either a laptop bag, or my pedalboard case which never gets used as a pedalboard.

Oh and in case anyone wants to know, it's just the original hard case from my '86 P. One of the ones that will barely fit anything other than a P bass.

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1359978910' post='1962711']
That doesn't sound like the best of case designs; unless your strap is made of chain mail. :)

My bass case will take the bass with strap on ( :blink: ) or it has a space in the foam for a rolled up strap, spare strings & I use an old 35mm film cannister to hold picks.
Aaaay! A place for ev'rythin', and ev'rythin' in it's place, by gum!

A photographers aluminium case, £20 your cash from Maplins for soldering iron, spare jacks, screws, etc.
[/quote]

Its a really good design, it just doesn't fit a big neoprene strap that doesn't really fold:

There is a pocket underneath the neck which is perfect for holding a lead / pics / earplugs etc, but my big chunky strap doesn't fit in it. The fit around the body of the bass is so snug that the strap doesn't fit there either.

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1359979927' post='1962754']
The fit around the body of the bass is so snug that the strap doesn't fit there either.[/quote]

See what you mean; it might fold back over the top horn & along the body but it's not a good idea for other reasons. Extra pressure on the neck when closed & on some finishes the strap can react with the finish if in contact, for eg.(which is why I prefer to remove the strap).

Its a really good design, it just doesn't fit a big neoprene strap that doesn't really fold:

There is a pocket underneath the neck which is perfect for holding a lead / pics / earplugs etc, but my big chunky strap doesn't fit in it. The fit around the body of the bass is so snug that the strap doesn't fit there either.
[/quote]

I have the same type of Hiscox case. As well as the bass I keep a tuner and short cable in the pocket and fold my chunky Comfort Strapp around the headstock. Job done.

Various crap rolling around in it which is probably why it's so damn heavy.
Have a separate bag for leads, but strap, strings, picks, clip on tuner, cheat book for when i forget stuff on stage, screwdriver, gas soldering iron kit, various set lists, pens, haribos and a tea towel

Edited by danthevan

[quote name='RandomBass' timestamp='1359980234' post='1962765']
In my STD Hiscox I get the following:

Bass with attached strap (any of the ones in my sig)
Lead
Spare Lead
Tuner
Set of spare strings
Set list
Planet waves grippy rubber neck-stand[/quote]

That's not a case................ it's a Tardis!

[/quote]

I have the same case and a long Mono GS1 strap. The strap will fit in the little pocket/box bit if you fold it over 3 times.

I've got a couple of Hiscox cases. The Tsai 5-string fits in the standard bass one with a shortish (3m or so) lead coiled up in the headstock end and tuner and set of spare strings in the under-neck pocket. The strap (embroidered Planet Waves one) rolls up and fits between top horn and body. It has straplocks on so has to be taken off. The Sei headless fits in a Fender Strat one, with a towel folded a couple of times under it (very slim body), a couple of tools, spare strings, and tuner in the under-neck pocket, and another shortish lead and strap in the headstock bit. The shortish leads are for rehearsal so I don't have to bother remembering anything else.

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359987525' post='1962980']
My old bassist always carried his leads, fx etc around in a plastic carrier bag. Used to make the drummer soooo mad :) 'I see you've got your little carrier bag with you. Get yourself a f***in rucksack. Loser!' is what he would say from time to time.
[/quote]

I don't remember playing bass for you... :)

[quote name='lettsguitars' timestamp='1359987525' post='1962980']
My old bassist always carried his leads, fx etc around in a plastic carrier bag. Used to make the drummer soooo mad :) 'I see you've got your little carrier bag with you. Get yourself a f***in rucksack. Loser!' is what he would say from time to time.
[/quote]

My old singer/guitarist used to do that. He would then go through all the mathematically possible permutations of assembling his three pedals in a working order. This could take 30 minutes. It got so bad, at the end of one rehearsal, I grabbed his plastic bag (or "the flightcase" as we dubbed it) told him I was making him a board for him and he could have them back nect week. One piece of MDF, a few cable clips, half an hours work and three cable ties later -problem sorted.

I have a Hiscox case which houses my lovely Mexi Jazz bass, old spare strings, a crappy 'emergency' lead and pen and paper. My strap stays on. In my effects flight case (slightly bigger than one of those Maplins photograpy cases) are my FX , 'decent' leads and my power cable.

Always be ready to boogie, that's my motto.

Selected basses for the night go in the double Mono bag with straps in the front pocket. Straps come off the basses for transport & always have.

Leads & power supplies, batteries & assorted O&S are in a hard case with a small selection of screwdrivers, cutters etc (let's hope I never get done for going equipped by officious plod)

Amp, + IEC, speakon + spare tuner short patch cable & spare ear plugs (for small gigs & r/h where the pedal board / hard case don't come along) live in a Gigskinz bag