stu_g

worst amp you have owned or had the luck to use

My first full-sized amp in about 1982 was a secondhand head made by a company called Ohm. It had a graphic eq and for some reason a built-in flanger which doubled as a pink noise generator. I was surprised to find one a few years ago still working in a rehearsal studio which I had to use and it sounded every bit as bad as I remembered.

Sound City 120 mk4.  Bought it as one of my first valve amps after being told it would be fine for bass.  Two tech services later, numerous cabs tried it was still just a hissy fartbox.  The mark 3's ive tried on the other hand have been glorious

Back in the early 70's I had an Aussie made Lenard GB-150 bass amp which was quite a good amp coupled to a Lenard cab with 4x12" Etone speakers. One night at a gig in a 3 piece pop type band I blew a fuse in the head and didnt have a spare so the guitarist said "here plug into my amp". I refused and said that I would likely blow it up. He insisted and I reluctantly agreed and said I'll just play very quietly. 1 note on the bass, pop and magic blue Genie smoke appeared from the top of his amp. Admittedly his amp was a guitar amp and I shouldnt have plugged up but hey..he insisted lol It was an early 70's Yamaha TA-60..see the pic. Probably my first bass amp in the 60's was a Goldentone BassMaster 60 (Pic supplied)..definately the worst amp i've ever had..no guts or glory loll

574239294_YamahaTA-60.jpg.069a6a45eec3c0928d26cd3510455050.jpg2127043575_GoldentoneBassmaster60watt.JPG.399e2f0469e8f35c2a2228954e06229c.JPG

My least favourite amp was the Peavy TNT combo. I think it was 150w are thereabouts. Woolly, no real tone definition, no punch and weighed about same as my car. Pity I wasn't driving around the time I owned this piece of stinky poo excuse for an amp. The only plus point I can think of was that it loud.

Line 6 was the brand but I can't tell you the model. Hated it twice. Also I am being unfair as on one occasion it got me a gig, and on neither occasion did I have time to learn how to set it up. 

First up an audition. So appalled was I by the mix of duvet and fluff coming out of the provided backline amp that I kept fiddling with it trying to get a sound recognisable as a bass guitar. 

They were impressed because I was the only one who bothered to try to get the amp to sound any good so I got the job! Lord knows they couldn't tell if any of us could actually play. 

Second time a showcase of many bands (translation : fill the stage on an otherwise quiet Sunday with unpaid acts) all using their backline. Same bloody mess of indecipherable buttons and nobs and no time to get anything other than the sound of a wooly mammoth snoring. In a cave. Heard from the other side of a hill.

Maybe with an instruction manual and a week or so to fathom it, I might have made it useable, but I'm scarred now. 

• Haha 1

I can't remember ever hating an amp. I've not got on with a few, but that was my fault, not theirs. I had the bass version of a Fender Dual Showman and the sound didn't do anything for me. I swapped after a week with the keyboard players Hiwatt stack. I was much happier after that move.

For me it was a blonde blackface Fender Bassman 50 with it's matching 2x12 cabinet. Bought new in the late Sixties it lasted a weekend of torture before I could return it. They had sold my trade in but I left it anyway! Ugh - I still get nightmares about the thing!!!

Edited by BassmanPaul