Why become a member? ×

worst amp you have owned or had the luck to use

stu_g

[quote name='megallica' timestamp='1369402454' post='2088818']
This was my first amp - why this didn't make me give up and buy a playstation I'll never know.

My next amp was a Park 100 watt combo - Marshall's budget range, I'm sure you can imagine how good my Westfield bass sounded through it.
[/quote]

My first amp was a Park 15w, open back and I had a Satellite bass which dragged the equation further down. A truly awful combination.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1369252217' post='2086989']
GK MB150S - people use them be ause they are light. They sound sh** but at least you can take them on Ryanair as hand luggage.
[/quote]

Mine's just fine with DB. I can play Moondance all night on it.

Like any musical equipment usage I think there's a degree of chemistry, not dissimilar to taste in food or choice of life partner! But yet again, it's been a case of don't meet your (Ampeg) hereos for me. Firstly, a pair of B15s, but I just about forgave them because they were old. But on Sunday I realised a lifelong ambition of using an SVT11, albeit with a 610 not an 8, and just couldn't get on with it. Open air gig, couldn't find a tight, punchy sound that wasn't compromised in some area and couldn't find a spot on stage I could hear it properly. Nevermind, I know people love them and they've done more great records and gigs than I'll ever have hot dinners but the current rig will be upgraded in a non-Ampeg direction!

Last night at my regular pub gig I used an old Carlsbro 200 watt 1x15 Pro Series cab, (with an old Hartke 3500 head)and it sounded great! Could n't believe how such badly thought of stuff could be so good really -
usually use my GK1001RB with a BF Compact, and was amazed how close it was possible to get 'my tone' from a 'budget' setup. Love cheap gear that sounds good, and there's a lot of it about!

[quote name='casapete' timestamp='1369992072' post='2095221']
Last night at my regular pub gig I used an old Carlsbro 200 watt 1x15 Pro Series cab, (with an old Hartke 3500 head)and it sounded great! Could n't believe how such badly thought of stuff could be so good really -
usually use my GK1001RB with a BF Compact, and was amazed how close it was possible to get 'my tone' from a 'budget' setup. Love cheap gear that sounds good, and there's a lot of it about!
[/quote]

You get a very good bang to buck ratio with Hartke

Edited by Graham

[quote name='graham1945' timestamp='1369953592' post='2095024']

That's odd, probably the best amp I've owned. All a matter of opinion I suppose?
[/quote]

Oh yes, of course. But, to explain what I thought when I was lent one for a tour:

Stupidly heavy old technology but without actual tubes.

Adding to the weight was basically half an empty shell making it looking like an SVT.

Underpowered. Compared to my ex Trace 400 SMX 400 watt, it was seriously quiet even with the mid boosted a heck of a lot.

Huge, for no reason.

Poor EQ.

Compared to the modern, extremely portable/light/loud micros, there is no point in it. If you want an SVT, this doesn't sound like one.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1365092201' post='2035246']
That Ampeg solid state SVT clone....450H?! AWFUL.
[/quote]

We had one of these in a local rehearsal studio , paired with an Ampeg 4x10 .

After two rehearsals , gave up on the amp and plugged in my LittleMark 250 to the 4x10.

For such a large box , it gave out such a weedy sound .

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1370158730' post='2096964']
Oh yes, of course. But, to explain what I thought when I was lent one for a tour:

Stupidly heavy old technology but without actual tubes.

Adding to the weight was basically half an empty shell making it looking like an SVT.

Underpowered. Compared to my ex Trace 400 SMX 400 watt, it was seriously quiet even with the mid boosted a heck of a lot.

Huge, for no reason.

Poor EQ.

Compared to the modern, extremely portable/light/loud micros, there is no point in it. If you want an SVT, this doesn't sound like one.
[/quote]

Just to balance this up a bit, as I suspect that potential buyers might read this thread when considering what NOT to buy. I agree that the SVT 450H is heavy (which is why I'm awaiting delivery of a PF800 to arrive at my doorstep this very moment), but I've never had a problem with mine, which I've owned for around ten years. I play medium size hall sized venues, as well as large pubs, and always cut through the mix of a nine piece soul band, without going through the in house pa. This at well below half volume, so, for the run of the mill venue, there is ample volume in my opinion. The nine band equalizer has always given me bags of tonal variation.
Agreed the case doesn't need to be so big, but I suspect Ampeg are using the same case for more than one amplifier? The added weight of the timber in the lower half is negligible. It can be viewed as a poor man's SVT valved, but we can't all afford that sort of kit, nor want the expense of replacing valves every now and then.This, in my opinion, is a great value entry into the Ampeg dream (at around £300/£350 for a good used one).
By the way, I don't work for Ampeg!!
Fair comments by Musicman 20 on his own experience, just thought I'd give another opinion of a longer term user.
"what's the worst amp you have owned, or had the luck to use" Surely not?
Graham

• 1 month later...

poker 50w combo - probably from the late 70's (poor and had no money)

absolutely dreadful, it fell apart after the third rehersal

could barely fart and when it did, it literally turned inside-out!!

thank goodness for my TE GP7 or TC BG250, ahh sigh of relief.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

This thread is most disheartening to a owner of a Carlsbro cobra 90 I just bought a few days back lol.

However the cobra is a serious upgrade on the hartke a25. Which I could never get a decent tone I liked out of it and I tried it with several basses. I also convinced myself now that it sounded bad because of its horrible 8 inch aluminium speaker.

[quote name='odysseus' timestamp='1388053278' post='2318066']
My first was a Laney 100W 1x15 combo. Crap. Might has well have had a hamster farting in the corner for all the volume I got out of the useless piece of junk.... <_<
[/quote]
I use a Laney Session Bassman75 watt at band practice (with drummer)and rather like the sound I get out of it, perhaps it had a fault? knackered speaker perhaps? I had to replace mine at one point

Edited by PaulWarning

Yamaha B100-115 like this one:

[URL=http://s1070.photobucket.com/user/dincz/media/yamaha_zpsbe5788c3.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u493/dincz/yamaha_zpsbe5788c3.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Not terrible but a rather woolly bottom end and big and heavy for its 100W. I added a single band parametric to it which improved matters a bit.

I had a PV combo with a BW speaker. It was woefully underpowered but it also got a hell of a beating, and it took it all.
To this day, I still think that amp sums PV up, pretty much.
A pile of crap..but a well built pile of crap.... and pretty indestructable..
and that made the stuff stand out back then...........