Why become a member? ×

worst amp you have owned or had the luck to use

stu_g

I loved my Sessionette 100 4x10 combo.......

but my Carlsbro Cobra90 head was as sh*te as a visit to the can after a night on guinness, curry AND kebabs with extra chillies and chilli sauce...

Edit: nearly forgot the Marshall MB150 in our rehearsal room is almost impossible to get a decent tone out of.
If the room we're in has that in when i turn up without my own rig, it is immediately swapped for something [anything] else.

Edited by Twigman

[sup][size=4]I've played in a few bands where the lead guitar amp was a Carlsbro Stingray and the guitar sound has always been excellent. One lad (who is quite well known) still uses his Stingray that he bought in about 1979![/size][/sup]

Back when i was starting out my school had a couple of carlboro amps, no idea if they were for bass or for keyboards but the were bloody horrible.
I played a ashdown rig at some festival in IOW a few years back and the amp sounded terrible, i couldn't seem to get it sound even half decent...(though that could user in experience of the amp rather than the amp itself)

The worse luck i had was i brought a Warwick Xtreme tubepath 10.1 which went 'pop' 20minutes into my first rehearsal with it, kinda a shame really becuase the tone i received from it was lovely...luckily i was able to return it to the store and got my money back!

I know this will cause some major abuse on here but i gigged last week using the headliners Orange bass terror. Have used them before so as soon as i saw it i though ''ohhhhhh bollocks''. To me they just sound like someone has put an angry bee in an empty ale can and stuck a micropohone next to the hole. Horrible things

[quote name='Pow_22' timestamp='1365058595' post='2034582']
I know this will cause some major abuse on here but i gigged last week using the headliners Orange bass terror. Have used them before so as soon as i saw it i though ''ohhhhhh bollocks''. To me they just sound like someone has put an angry bee in an empty ale can and stuck a micropohone next to the hole. Horrible things
[/quote]

One of these was provided as backline when we played in Berlin last November....could I get a decent sound out of it? Could I f***.

Awful things IMHO

Carlsbro don't seem to be fairing too well on this thread either. Although having said that my first proper bass amp was a Carlsbro Colt 65B which was fine until my cousin had it stolen out of the back of his car 'cos he couldn't be bothered to unload after a gig he did.

OK, it's not the worst amp that I have ever used but the biggest disappointment to me has been a Genz Benz Streamliner 9.0. I plugged it into my Markbass cabs, and it was loud but unremarkable. I was expecting something really hot, but got less of everything than my Peavey Tour 700 gave. There was no depth, no crisp top - just lots of sound.

I have now gone back to the Peavey - anyone want to buy a GB?

[size=4]Carlsboro Stingray leads are top. All Carlsboro bass gear is bollocks. I had a combo that I only put effects through and it was ace for that but if I put any bass signal through it, the neighbours laughed for days. Bland 800hz.[/size]

An Ampeg SVT Classic with tired power valves. It was a festival backline, sounded like crap. Fortunately I had my old Eden WTX 260 in the side pocket of the gigbag; I moved the speakon from SVT to WTX and shook the sound tech by playing LOUD and LOW. An Ampeg is no thing to use to play low...

A GK Backline 250 - my first bass head. It was light and easy to move around, it didn't sound too bad for the price either (which doesn't mean it sounded good) but it broke down all the time. I had to have the power section worked on 3 or 4 times... The last time it broke, I simply never picked it up from the shop.

Shows age... I had a Selmer T&B 50 (new: 70's) and decided to 'upgrade' to the new 100W tranny head (Bass 100 (Norlin idea/design))... weighed way less, was louder, sounded OK... but only for about 10 mins then it cut off and was too hot to touch: back to shop: repeat... Having done this SEVEN times with DIFFERENT units I went with the 100W tube head. Turns out they (Norlin) got it wrong and all units suffered from thermal runaway; never seen one since... luckily.

Offending beast

[attachment=132095:Selmer Bass 100.jpeg]