Why become a member? ×

Prettiest bass

gub

Ok so we have an ugly bass thread so thought i would put this one up ,what floats your boat ? Pics would be great too !
For me it has to be the good old fender jazz,just find it so pleasing to the eye .

Edited by gub

Musicman Stingray and (I expect to be disagreed with) Bongo, but only if it's a Stealth Black Bongo 5/6 HH. Oh and most things with a metalflake finish, especially if it's bright, such as neon pink/purple/blue with matching LED's.

Edit: Actually, i'd be surprised if anyone agreed with me on anything other than the Stingray from that :D

Liam

Edited by LiamPodmore

[quote name='paul torch' timestamp='1357734600' post='1927378']
Can't seem to upload pictures but for me it's actually one that was mentioned in the ugliest bass thread.

[/quote]

I predict that every bass nominated on the 'ugliest' thread will, eventually, also get a mention here, and vice-versa.

Possibly a bit biased because it's mine but:

I think that Rumours are the most aesthetically pleasing basses on the market at the moment - look at the GB thread and you'll see some made from even more desirable pieces of timber..

Having said that there are a couple of REALLY nice Alembic Orions available here at the moment...

Edited by TheGreek

[quote name='bremen' timestamp='1357734741' post='1927381']
I predict that every bass nominated on the 'ugliest' thread will, eventually, also get a mention here, and vice-versa.
[/quote]

..but surely this won't make it here ;)

[IMG]http://i1249.photobucket.com/albums/hh504/pobrien_ie/Ugly%20Bass/Warwick_zps76af1a22.jpg[/IMG]

I always liked the Spector NS / Warwick Streamer shape although it looks a bit dated now. Oddly I never got on with the basses, they just never felt right to me.

Also the original Steinberger headless, not exactly pretty but a masterpiece of minimalist design.

Fenders were probably great designs when they came out 50 / 60 years ago, I still kind of like them, particularly the Jazz and the Strat but that's just because they're so familiar. But they're pretty agricultural by today's standards, ditto the Stingray.

Olympic White Precision, with tort pickguard & rosewood fretboard. Which is why I have two!

My other fave is a sunburst Jazz, tort pickguard, rosewood fretboard with binding & blocks. Yum. Shame I just don`t get on with Jazzes.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1357732122' post='1927320']
A Mk3 American Walnut 5 string Wal....
[/quote]

See I always think the Mk1 is the best looking.

[quote name='spongebob' timestamp='1357732667' post='1927334']
Rickenbacker 4001/4003 without question for me!
[/quote]

The body shape looks like it was done in a comprehensive school by a kid who got at best a C.

I agree the Jazz is a nice looking bass, especially with all its various accoutrements (covers, block inlays, bullet truss rod nut). The Stingray is a very nicely-balanced design too but maybe a little too big. I think the current Yamaha BB----x basses look really nice.

I think the hard part of making a bass look attractive is that it's quite a large canvas, so leaving it plain can look too plain (L2000 for example), and there's the temptation to put a pukey quilt top on it and/or a trans/burst finish. What it really needs is nicely designed hardware and basses like the Jazz, Stingray and BB----x models got it just right.

Cricket bat,
Bongo,

Edit:
Something happened when I wrote that, and an unfinished post was published.
Anyway, what I wanted to write was something like:

- Cricket bat,
- Bog seat,
- A Warwick, maybe the Corvette - despite and even partly because of the weird, but characterful top horn,

There certainly are more, but I can't remember their names right now.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor