Why become a member? ×

Non 4 string social stigma?

mbellishment

I think this cuts every way depends on who's talking and who's listening.

A friend of mine plays exclusively 6 strings, having a Warwick, a Yamaha TRB and an Ibanez.
His current band is an Alice Cooper tribute where you'd imagine that there would be an expectation of what would be acceptable. Doesn't hurt him in any way.

Or when I did the first gig with the prog band which was a festival. Full of punters who know their stuff and all sorts of genuinely weird and wonderful stuff on display. I was concerned that my tobacco sunburst jazz wouldn't be enough. Nobody blinked an eye, nobody said anything.

Maybe it's the same with amps too ?

Will I ever get another gig with a Trace stack behind me ?

Whyo cares, play on and do what you want.

[quote name='Roland Rock' timestamp='1356869779' post='1914428']
Funnily enough, I encountered some quite strong five string prejudice last night at the pub, just in conversation. A friend, who has always been quite strongly in the punk/alternative rock camp, commented that he'd seen a pic of me on Facebook, and that I was playing a bass which had "one too many strings". The others (one an alt rock drummer, and a Drum n Bass producer) all agreed that a five string is "not a proper bass".
[/quote]

not a proper bass? it´s MORE bass!!! :lol:
(I don´t play 5 strings, but just because the need has not appeared and love my 4 strings... it seems extremely silly to put down someone for playing a bass with an extra string or two beyond what you expect traditionally)

Some interesting stuff in this thread.

Just to add another dimension, I don't recall such prejudices with bass back in the 70s/80s - the only potential problem into the 80s was keyboard players saying, I'll play the bass parts! I think it is a fairly modern phenomena.

I just read the thread about Gary Moore and the 62 Precision - can't imagine why him or his people bothered as I can't recall the bass on his records - come to think of it I can't anything but the guitar. Maybe it was a 'generic' sound - - in the same way as the bass on the Birdie Song, Shaddapayaface or a host of other records - maybe that was the point, the bass mustn't get in the way of the main guitar so best to go with what was used on the recordings (I would doubt it would matter to most listeners whether it was a 62, 72, 82, 92, or 02 P bass to be honest though).

There is certainly a lot more brand snobbery these days - but that is true of lots of elements of modern life eg clothes and fashion.

Can you imagine how Free or Cream would have turned out if their bass players had been 'required' by producers, lead guitarists or whoever to have played the then industry standard?

Edited by drTStingray

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1356880313' post='1914625']
I'm sure glad I don't play bass to make a living, judging by this thread.
[/quote]
I will play something suitable for any gig if asked and can cover anything from the 70s up to present day 4 or 5 string in retro natural finish or modern sparkly finishes, all of them Stingrays :D

IMO a 5 seems to be pretty much a standard instrument with a lot of bands in a lot of genres, but would agree there is a certain amount of snobbery. I played in an indie covers band for 18 months and never had any negative feedback about using a 5. I've had more negative comments about using a couple of lightweight cabs and head - but I wouldn't change my gear for anyone.

As long as you're playing appropriately within the music, it shouldn't matter how many strings your bass has got.

[quote name='drTStingray' timestamp='1356879524' post='1914613']
....I just read the thread about Gary Moore and the 62 Precision - can't imagine why him or his people bothered as I can't recall the bass on his records - come to think of it I can't anything but the guitar....
[/quote]

Surely he achieved his objective then.

IMO, his best band was Andy Pyle, Graham Walker and Vic Martin. All great players and all required to fade into the wall paper for a fatter pay cheque than most of us here have seen in years.

That's life.

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1356885488' post='1914716']

Surely he achieved his objective then.

IMO, his best band was Andy Pyle, Graham Walker and Vic Martin. All great players and all required to fade into the wall paper for a fatter pay cheque than most of us here have seen in years.

That's life.
[/quote]
See, that's the problem right there... I can't see why anyone with some knowledge of the world would like to play music for the sake of money.

For the first meeting in every meeting/jam/recording project, I always bring my Fender Precision, just in case I encounter such ignorance/snobbery. Once I have the gig I'll bring what I like. People listen with their eyes in terms of music in general, its not surprising that it happens with basses.

I've had the same with amps. I've had negative comments from bass players at a few gigs after bringing a Trace Elliot amp to a gig on the basis that 'they are only good for slap and they are rubbish for rock music'. I don't mind people not liking certain amps but it takes a particular level of idiocy to make fun of the amp belonging to the one bassist who actually brought an amp to a gig and then ask if you can use it.

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1356886182' post='1914732']
See, that's the problem right there... I can't see why anyone with some knowledge of the world would like to play music for the sake of money.
[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1356890980' post='1914798']
Even if you like it?
[/quote]

And even if you [i]don't [/i]like it. Lots of people have to do things in the course of their jobs that they don't like doing. For musos, it would probably be playing 'Mustang Sally'. For a contract assassin it might be all that time spent away from his / her family.

That's the price one pays for being a professional.

In any event, people get slung out of bands for all sorts of bizarre reasons like the shape of their head or the jokes they tell or their annoying wife so fives vs fours seems a reasonably 'musicianly' way of discriminating against an individual even if it has scant value in the logical sense. My commiserations to the OP.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1356891685' post='1914819']
And even if you [i]don't [/i]like it. Lots of people have to do things in the course of their jobs that they don't like doing.
[/quote]
Yip... it's definitely more fun than working in a call centre for a living.

Oh if we are taking this into 'job' world, then yes, if you get told to play a certain bass, then do it. Same with any job. That can also takes the fun out of music and can ruin the whole ' hobby' side of things (I know a few people who felt like this even in their late 20s!). But, if you are set for a career in music that can happen.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1356892368' post='1914834']
....if we are taking this into 'job' world, then yes....
[/quote]

I was talking about Gary Moore. What part of that world could be described as "hobby"?

Playing for money is an established part of the music world, or are Orchestras only supposed to just play for fun.

[quote name='ezbass' timestamp='1356864277' post='1914339']
Not just Sweden, I've seen this in local jams right here. I remember when I first started playing bass around 2000 and thought the best way to get myself out there was turning up to jams where I'd previously played guitar. My first bass was a cheap, but pretty good quality Yamaha RBX and I overheard disparaging comments from the resident P playing bassist about 'modern' basses. I didn't get to play that night.
[/quote]

When was that?

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1356892845' post='1914839']
I was talking about Gary Moore.[/quote]

Indeed. If Mr Moore wanted me to play bass - and specified a 4-string - the first thing I'd say would be "I thought you were dead" followed by "Any views on the colour you'd like, Gary? Is it OK if I call you Gary?"

[quote name='Inti' timestamp='1356886182' post='1914732']
[/quote]

I would.

If I got a phonecall tomorrow asking me to tour with some god awful act like Nicki Minaj, I'd do it. The money would be insane and I'd certainly have some stories to tell. Would you miss out on that opportunity?

Like it or not (and on the whole, I do like it) image is an important part of many forms of music. Turn up to audition for a punk band with a 6 string single cut coffee table bass and you probably won't get the gig. Turn up to audition for a smooth jazz band with a beaten up BC Rich warlock, with skull and crossbones stickers all over it and "f*** the police" scratched into it and you probably won't get the gig.

Yes, some people have got stupidly snobbish about it---and these people should just be avoided (and at least you find out early)---but any bass player who thinks "I will be able to turn up to [i]any[/i] audition with [i]any[/i] bass and get the gig" is simply not living in reality.

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1356892368' post='1914834']
Oh if we are taking this into 'job' world, then yes, if you get told to play a certain bass, then do it. Same with any job. That can also takes the fun out of music and can ruin the whole ' hobby' side of things (I know a few people who felt like this even in their late 20s!). But, if you are set for a career in music that can happen.
[/quote]
Yeah, I think there's been some confussion... I certainly wouldn't be b!tching and moaning if I was getting paid for it... I'm talking about playing the local Head of Steam or whatever with a bunch of nobodies for the fun of being in a band!
I'm also not talking about turning up with a neon yellow Warlock, with neck LEDs and Adam Bomb style pyrotechnics protruding from the headstock, while wearing my Ronald McDonald costume... I'm talking about a honey burst Stingray, which from a distance, to an untrained eye, under venue lighting, might as well be a tobacco burst Fender!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1356893733' post='1914853']
Like it or not (and on the whole, I do like it) image is an important part of many forms of music. Turn up to audition for a punk band with a 6 string single cut coffee table bass and you probably won't get the gig. Turn up to audition for a smooth jazz band with a beaten up BC Rich warlock, with skull and crossbones stickers all over it and "f*** the police" scratched into it and you probably won't get the gig.

Yes, some people have got stupidly snobbish about it---and these people should just be avoided (and at least you find out early)---but any bass player who thinks "I will be able to turn up to [i]any[/i] audition with [i]any[/i] bass and get the gig" is simply not living in reality.
[/quote]

I have a CAR Jazz that I reckon could be used in any situation, its only a four so solo noodle stuff might be hard but I can't play like that, punk, jazz, rock, funk, indie and blues can all be played on a CAR Jazz with a black pick guard I'd say?

[quote name='mbellishment' timestamp='1356893798' post='1914856']

Yeah, I think there's been some confussion... I certainly wouldn't be b!tching and moaning if I was getting paid for it... I'm talking about playing the local Head of Steam or whatever with a bunch of nobodies for the fun of being in a band!
I'm also not talking about turning up with a neon yellow Warlock, with neck LEDs and Adam Bomb style pyrotechnics protruding from the headstock, while wearing my Ronald McDonald costume... I'm talking about a honey burst Stingray, which from a distance, to an untrained eye, under venue lighting, might as well be a tobacco burst Fender!
[/quote]

I'd just play it then. It's quite a traditional looking instrument :)