Why become a member? ×

bass player wanted for gigging bluesfunkrock band

Mark Percy

bass player wanted for gigging blues funk rock band. hopefully bassplayer will have some of the following things, suitable for such a band. 1) driving licence 2) vehicle 3) big powerful bass stack with big powerful head and big cab, or cabs, to keep up with marshall 50 head and 4x12 for guitar. markbass combo not suitable for old fashioned three piece, with keyboards.

this band plays big old pubs, and clubs, so powerful backline important. this is not a big P.A. scenario, rather vocal cabs, with monitors, so all the power is in the backline, instead of D.I. bass into the subs and top cabs. the reason for this is easy get-in and easy get-out so a small combo no good, or markbass generation of tiny combos. whats really needed is a proper bass player with an ampeg 8x10 and SVT head, so that grinding rockfunk bass is driving the band along, with a drummer who is incredible. a big head with 4x10's or 1x15's or 2x15's is good.

band has established reputation outside london. its easier to play to country gigs, because its packed out when they know were coming. the word gets around. its soul destroying to play to the barstaff in london gigs, because the gigs empty due to £4.50 a pint. or £4.50 glass of wine.

were all seasoned veterans of many a campaign, so its pointless trying to bully your way in, with a combo. what we want is a big fat huge sounding bass rig, with clean headroom to spare, meshing with the power-trio, thats pumping out infectious grooves that has the women up and out of thier seats, and thier feet unglued from the floor, and happy with the band.

its a fun band. larry graham funk grooves, killer shuffles, great riifs, steaming rock grooves, and the audience vote with thier feet. it would be great if you were a singer, or did harmonies, and can remember your line, instead of slipping into the lead line. if you got a good voice, all the better. if you can do backing vocals, then thats ok too.if you cant sing, or are afraid to sing thats ok too.

you will need to learn two sets of 12 songs, for two sets. some gigs require three sets, so thats 36 songs. we play workingmens clubs and british legion clubs, and huge/tiny pubs, and thier not all chav's either. some of these provincial gigs are upstat up market affairs, so your expected to have good manners, and not be swearing at all, and charm the audience.

we play hertfordshire, middlesex, essex, suffolk, and even norfolk. we play sussex and kent, and medway towns, even coast towns.

london is a super-heavy-control-society nightmare, of swivelling cameras, taking your picture, and sending you the bill in the post, when your trying to park, and get your gear in, and not get it stolen when the wardens and cameras are harrassing you. after all, as a musician, you are a valuable member of society, providing unique skills, in improving others lives, so why be treated like a criminal, and criminalized by a system that doesent work in london, designed by anti-social personalities in govornment positions who dont understand basic life, or people, and just seek to exert tyranny and duress.

come gig outside london where your valued and appreciated as the nights entertainment.

go to [url="http://www.markpercy.com"]www.markpercy.com[/url] or [url="http://www.markpercy.co.uk"]www.markpercy.co.uk[/url] and go to the album section, find "mark percy live" and play track 2 'stepping out in the night' or track 3 'come to poppa' or track 12 'fool for a pretty face' yoy will find the telephone numbers on the website.

this is a fun band, and we dont need the wrong guy with issues or hang-ups. so check and tick the boxes. seasoned veteran welcome, but would consider ambitious youngster, who wants to learn from old touring proffesionals. five string prefered, for those low and fat dirty gooves, but four string will do.

remember that not only is mark percy a lead guitarist/lead vocals, but a bass player too. so he understands bass players, and what goes on. this is a drug free band, so as to stay on top of the music, so no bio-chemic personalities.

well I am glad thats me told,
I am going to have ritual burning of my gallien kruger setup
and santa wil bring me a ampeg or something then I can obviously try and join a groovin band
with heavy riffs,
thanks very much for showing me the right path

cheers
stef

[quote name='zero9' timestamp='1355922865' post='1904500']
So...
the most important aspects are 1) driving licence, 2) car and 3) huge rig.
[/quote]

Not forgetting 4) Hard of hearing (to avoid any further aural damage from that massive backline)

And since when has an 8 by 10 cab constituted an 'easy get-in, get-out'??

Edited by simonc61

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1355923565' post='1904521']
Not forgetting 4) Hard of hearing (to avoid any further aural damage from that massive backline)

And since when has an 8 by 10 cab constituted an 'easy get-in, get-out'??
[/quote]

I'm not sure I could 'get in' a combo, but I'm sure I'd fit into an 8x10

I know a guy with a big amp. He cant play for sh*t but hey, that doesn't seem to matter because his amp is HUGE. Its great for country pubs because it stacks right to the beams and its makes all the tankards hanging from the ceiling shake, not to mention that it'll piss of the dog sat by the fire. So i will tell him that Mark Percy is looking for a bass player. Im sure he will jump at the opportunity.

Maybe if i get an svt and a 8x10 cab i will finally be a proper bass player. Im going to have to buy a van to just so i can transport it. Im going to have retire my current setup of 2 1x12s and a markbass head though which, has been loud enough for every gig ive done over the last 2 years (from pubs to 500 cap venues). Its a shame because it fits in the boot of my micra and its works great with a 9 piece band without going through the front of house. But i will do whatever its takes to be a proper bass player...

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1355943362' post='1904906']
Have a sense of humour, Sir :)
[/quote]

I would like to think I've got a fairly well developed sense of humour, but taking the pi** isn't generally that funny IMHO. Don't get me wrong, I've done it myself in the past, but thought better of it later, by which time it might have been too late. By that I mean that the various smart ar*e remarks are here for all to see - including by other prospective employers, who might think twice about employing some of the commentators for that very reason, but they'll never know why they didn't get a gig. I quite rightly got slapped down for some remarks I made on here a long time back, so please never forget this is a very public forum.

How you play, the gear you've got and what you look like are only part of the equation. All of the serious bands and artists I know don't have much time for a loose canon, regardless of how good a musician they may be. Despite the perceived forthrightness of Mr Percy, he's got a perfect right to state his case on here any way he wants. I'm sure he would agree that he's got a reputation to maintain, but so do the rest of us.

Like I said, if it's not your cup of tea, keep it to yourself and move on...

Edited by lowregisterhead

Confused why he should advertise on here for a Bassplayer?

A gentle stroll through his various websites would seem to indicate the ideal Bassplayer for his band, and with all the correct gear, is looking at himself in the mirror every morning.

No mention of what this band is called and where they are gigging mind....

[quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1355939562' post='1904843']
He knows what he wants and says so. It saves anyone wasting their time, after all. The sarcy remarks are a bit uncalled for. If it's not your cup of tea, just move on...[/quote][quote name='lowregisterhead' timestamp='1355948158' post='1904972']Despite the perceived forthrightness of Mr Percy, he's got a perfect right to state his case on here any way he wants. I'm sure he would agree that he's got a reputation to maintain, but so do the rest of us.[/quote]

At risk of seeming humourless, I totally agree with these posts. Mr Percy should be allowed to advertise for a bass player as he sees fit, without let or hindrance - and as a member of Basschat he has every right to do so.

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1355965662' post='1905221']
At risk of seeming humourless, I totally agree with these posts. Mr Percy should be allowed to advertise for a bass player as he sees fit, without let or hindrance - and as a member of Basschat he has every right to do so.
[/quote]
True, however he would have been wise to search Basschat for references to his Gumtree ad before posting perhaps... [url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181660-you-know-where-you-can-shove-your-markbass/page__hl__mark%20percy"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/181660-you-know-where-you-can-shove-your-markbass/page__hl__mark%20percy[/url]

My experience of the sort of venue described, is that you more often than not get such a tiny space there's absolutely no way you'd ever fit an 8x10 cab there, 2x10's or 2x12's that I've been using for years generally only just about fit in.

Workingman's and social clubs also like nice quiet little duo's, I've never seen one having a blues, funk, rock band, especially with the sort of volume levels that these must be producing. Maybe that's where the quick getaway comes in handy :D .