Why become a member? ×

They don't make them like that anymore ( Xmas songs that is )

tonybassplayer

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1355731151' post='1901797']
Not sure I've nailed it note for note Mark but it's certainly quite busy <_<
[/quote]

Just had a noodle on that, great walking bassline. B)

Every Christmas Party I go to this always comes out....Extra Xmas Bonus anorak points if you can ID the bass....?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1P7gdtAeY"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw1P7gdtAeY[/url]

Edited by iconic

Two Xmas songs from the same "group"........... who apparently were one of the more successful groups in the UK of the 70's - and the major source of Bill Oddie's income.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzi7YrJN5FI[/media]

not sure if you could get away with this one these days............

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC3AphnJLbE[/media]

Edited by Big_Stu

Agreed, those tunes were a massive part of my childhood Christmases and hearing them again every year brings back so many fantastic memories and nostalgia about when life was better/simpler for all.

I just hope they end up meaning the same for my kids.

I also really like the classical piece Lt Kije which Greg Lake used in I Beleive in Father Xmas.

We'll be playing Merry Christmas Everybody on our gig this coming Saturday - I surprised myself by picking up the bass line quicker than I expected, though I doubt I've got all the nuances of the original. My little brain is getting confused on the run down as its the same as Wonderful Tonight. I'm also shocked by how neat it actually is, but I've been practising against a karaoke track - so no vocals.

The Goodies cast list for their White Christmas special used to make me smirk

Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Muss
Jess Likedee
Juan Swee
Hugh Sterno
Wendy Treetops-Glissen
Ann Children
Liz Ann "Two Ears" Laybelle
Cindy Snow
Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Musswith
Avery Crease
Miss Carr
Dai Wright
Mayor Dazebee
Mary Ann Bright
Ann May Hall-York-Rhys
Mrs B White

Any and ALL Christmas songs are either a cynical attempt to cash-in, or a cynical attempt to raise the profile of the contributing artist (in the case of charity singles)

If the artists were that convinced of their songs' validity, they'd put them on their mainstream albums.

Consider also that whilst they MAY have been written during the Christmas period, I bet they're not recorded at Christmas...
I can just see a load of disingenuous muso types trying to be festive in a sweaty studio in the middle of summer...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1355834291' post='1903300']
Any and ALL Christmas songs are either a cynical attempt to cash-in, or a cynical attempt to raise the profile of the contributing artist (in the case of charity singles)

If the artists were that convinced of their songs' validity, they'd put them on their mainstream albums.

Consider also that whilst they MAY have been written during the Christmas period, I bet they're not recorded at Christmas...
I can just see a load of disingenuous muso types trying to be festive in a sweaty studio in the middle of summer...
[/quote]

Well I certainly agree that "FTW" was done mainly to revive Geldof's flagging career; probably the only time I'd agree with Jonathan King.

It's fairly well known that Slade's MXE was recorded a the Record Plant in New York in August of '73 during a heatwave. The locals thought they were mental. John Lennon was recording in the same building at the time, stuck his head in the door and said "not a bad voice your singer's got".

Edited by Big_Stu

Some def good ones here (Pretenders / Chris Rea) - I'll plug Jethro Tull's "Solstice Bells" as an old good 'un

For Christmas tunes with best bassline I always thought "Christmas Wrapping" (Waitresses) to be unassailable as No.1, but heard a song on Radio 2 this morning - Chris Evans's "Tinsel-tastic Golden Oldie" - that I haven't heard in ages; "Up on the roof" by the Jackson 5 - what an ace bassline / groove!

[quote name='bob_pickard' timestamp='1355834137' post='1903297']
The Goodies cast list for their White Christmas special used to make me smirk

Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Muss
Jess Likedee
Juan Swee
Hugh Sterno
Wendy Treetops-Glissen
Ann Children
Liz Ann "Two Ears" Laybelle
Cindy Snow
Emma Dreaming
Arthur White
Chris Musswith
Avery Crease
Miss Carr
Dai Wright
Mayor Dazebee
Mary Ann Bright
Ann May Hall-York-Rhys
Mrs B White
[/quote]

That is just Class!!!

I remember desperately searching for a VHS copy of the film Holiday Inn for my wife, for Christmas, back in the mid 90s (before we had internet), took weeks for it to arrive and cost about £20. Bought it on DVD about 5 years ago and it took just 2 days and was about £5

Bing Crosby's White Christmas is in the film, that's what made me think of it.