Why become a member? ×

Who inspired you to learn bass ?

The Hat

Steve Harris, and he's still better than me :lol:
I was listening to some Less Than Jake for the first time in a while a week or so ago and Roger Manganalli is doing some nice stuff in the background, so I suppose that sort of Ska/Punk is what is really pushing me to change from playing straight 8ths to opening up my structure and I think I've got better for it.
But that's only my opinion, the wife and the dog may disagree :P

[quote name='Spike Vincent' timestamp='1355303300' post='1896478']
JJ Burnel.Don't think I even knew what a bass was before then.
[/quote]

Me too, but I have gone off on some wierd tangents since the early days. Including a 25yr gap to get married, have kids and divorced etc.

When I was 15yr old I worshipped the "yobbish" looking JJ and loved the sound of that bass. But it wasnt until I rediscovered the bass in later life and had the advantage of the internet that I found he was actually an accomplished classic guitarist before his strangler days? Very intelligent, from academic parents, very bohemian. Would love to read his biography not just the stranglers. I will also get around to reading Mick Karns at some point. Maybe Im on the "nice" list this Xmas for a change! :D

It took me 40 years to get there but I blame lemmy. I think that after listening to a lot of Hawkwind, at high volume in the early 70's I developed a bass brain. Other influences were Jack Bruce and Andy Fraser. If I can't get "Free" tone out of my bass I'm not happy.

John Taylor made me discover a love of basslines.... but my final "push" from crossing the line between loving listening to bass to actually playing one was Ian Cattell, bassist from Brit Floyd. We went to a gig, was in the first row and I watched him intently all night, thinking 'I want to do that'. In the car on the way home I asked hubby "Would you mind if I learned to play bass guitar", he said "Go for it" and I did :D

Nobody.

Seeing Slade on TV inspired me to want to become an entertaining musician but choosing bass as a main instrument was just a means to that end - mostly because other would be players I knew of the same age were more advanced than me on guitar and I figured I should carve my own niche with the differing instrument rather than try and catch them up.

I have since become an admirer of many , many fine players - and I actively chose to copy lines by players Jim Lea - Geddy Lee and John McVie to help me learn the mechanics in the early days - but I've never had bass heroes. Never modeled myself on anyone. I figured rolling my own would be more satistying. All my musical heroes are songwriters. Artists - not craftsmen.

Cliff Burton. I was a metaller in my youth (still am deep down today - it never leaves you, like herpes! ;)) and he seemed like such an enigma in the scene at that time: the hippy image and of course those crazy solos.

When bought 'Kill 'Em All' and heard Anesthesia for the first time I just thought to myself "Wow! I want to do that!!"... and so my obsession with bass begun.

Through Cliff I also got into The Misfits and eventually Bach. Yeah, weird I know.

Geezer Butler, Steve Harris and Dave Ellefson were also big influences. But Cliff, for me, was the daddy.

When I first heard Steve Harris playing on one of my parents old Maiden records (cannot for the life of me remember which though!) when I was about 10 years old, I knew I wanted to play bass, it just resonated with me for some unknown reason (even though I had no clue what a bass guitar was at that time). After convincing my parents to buy me a bass for christmas not long after that moment, my journey began. Still don't like Precisions though for some reason haha!