Why become a member? ×

BC's new classifieds section - your opinions please

ped

[quote name='tedmanzie' timestamp='1354722695' post='1889597']
I joined this site purely to sell a bass I'd had lying around for years. Zero post newbie guitarist.

I made all the newbie mistakes - no price, no pictures, no other posts. Thanks to the friendly encouragement of the other members I soon listed price and pictures, and the bass was sold, a feedback thread was started, etc.

6 months later i've got two new basses, bought and sold many pedals, and have met several very nice chaps when collecting/trading. My guitars are gathering dust...

So that's what the old style classifieds has going for it! :)

I'd prefer it to remain free, or possibly £2 a lisiting.

Here's another idea - keep it basschat, but create a guitarists sub-forum and guitarists classifieds?! Why not drummers too? Just an idea.

Ted
[/quote]

Hi Ted

I bet everyone would prefer it to be free ;) unfortunately that just isn't possible if you also expect BC to be fast, reliable and updated.

We are opening two new forums soon, Guitarchat and Drumchat. These will be the same format and be the place for other players to start their own communities.

We'll try and make it so that if you are logged in to any one of the sites owned by the 'Chat Partnership' you'll be registered and able to post on any of the sites under our company. I know lots of bassists play lesser instruments on the side, so this would enable some crossover.

Cheers
ped

The idea above of a tiered pricing structure based on item value is the best solution I can see, if implementable. As a very occasional user of the marketplace, I wouldn't pay £2 to list something I only expected get £25 for. And those types of low-cost ads are great for the 'community spirit'. Require everyone to put a trade value in on their trade items and treat them the same in terms of pricing.

A flat per-item fee for listing will kill the marketplace IMO - once it's only worth listing for higher-price items then the user-base as a whole dwindles, and people'd be less inclined to list the expensive stuff so it all spirals down. You've got a great brand here that has taken so much time and effort on your part to build up, be such a shame if a wrong step now damaged it.

Just my 2p!

My 2p...

Personally I think £20 to join and sell a bass may put some off joining. However £2 an ad could work, especially if it was £2 an ad up to a £20 limit (so once you've spent £20 you don't have to spend any more and your ads for the year from this date are free)

[quote name='LawrenceH' timestamp='1354727819' post='1889688']
The idea above of a tiered pricing structure based on item value is the best solution I can see, if implementable. As a very occasional user of the marketplace, I wouldn't pay £2 to list something I only expected get £25 for. And those types of low-cost ads are great for the 'community spirit'. Require everyone to put a trade value in on their trade items and treat them the same in terms of pricing.

A flat per-item fee for listing will kill the marketplace IMO - once it's only worth listing for higher-price items then the user-base as a whole dwindles, and people'd be less inclined to list the expensive stuff so it all spirals down. You've got a great brand here that has taken so much time and effort on your part to build up, be such a shame if a wrong step now damaged it.

Just my 2p!
[/quote]

Please read my posts!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354726702' post='1889662']
[i][b] I know lots of bassists play lesser instruments on the side[/b][/i]
[/quote]

You heard I've bought a guitar haven't you? I'm sorry, it was such a pretty colour that's all...and I'm weak and fickle. Should I return in? Oh the shame :unsure:

:)

I prefer the old ads as I like the conversation it generates, you can learn a lot about instruments you are unfamiliar with too. Several people have talked about subs and I think this could be a way forward. I would imagine a tiered structure would be difficult to administrate.

Honestly, I'm not very keen on the idea of paying to place ads. I'd rather see regulars contribute to the site because they want to---perhaps, before implementing such massive changes, it might be worth contacting the whole membership and saying "Look, we can't continue to run basschat as it is for free. If you enjoy the site, please, contribute some cash to the pot, otherwise we'll have to start charging for placing ads" or similar. I'm aware that you already (sort of) do this, but I think a much more explicit request might have some sway. You've got nothing to lose, either---you could try it and see what happens!

[quote name='uncle psychosis' timestamp='1354731307' post='1889770']
Honestly, I'm not very keen on the idea of paying to place ads. I'd rather see regulars contribute to the site because they want to---perhaps, before implementing such massive changes, it might be worth contacting the whole membership and saying "Look, we can't continue to run basschat as it is for free. If you enjoy the site, please, contribute some cash to the pot, otherwise we'll have to start charging for placing ads" or similar. I'm aware that you already (sort of) do this, but I think a much more explicit request might have some sway. You've got nothing to lose, either---you could try it and see what happens!
[/quote]

We already have a message to every seller to ask for a donation, and unfortunately it doesn't work. Shame, but there you go!!

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354623363' post='1888176']
1 - carried on using the regular marketplace forums
[/quote]Ped, first thanks for asking us.
I don't like the new classifieds section as they stand- I understand that they arn't quite working and appreciate the thought and the work put into them.[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354623363' post='1888176']
2 - charged a yearly subscription fee to be able to post adverts there (~£20) to help pay for developments
[/quote]
This sort of system seems to work on talkbass, and you can ask them how it works out in practice. I think there's a correlation between price and the amount of people who will take it up. I would have no problem with £5, or even £10, and then prob still make donations from any sales - but part of me would baulk at £20. If that makes sense?
3 - installed a new 'bump' button which only works once every 36hrs on your thread
[/quote] sounds like a good plan. My vote would be for 48 hours though - just cos it's easier to remeber when you can bump!

4 - develop the marketplace to allow thumbnails next to threads for everyone
[/quote]
5 - develop a better form for selling items with fields for things like location, price, etc to make adverts clearer
[/quote] I think the problem you are trying to address is accessibility - My guess is that if you have to fill in forms correctly to post a sale post - and the title is then created from that info you would have standard info and wouldn't need photos and the work that coding that into the site would take.

I think the 'Bump' button is a waste of time because it's too easy to circumvent.

A 'Donate' button would be a very good idea, preferrably in a prominent place. Or places.

A small charge over a certain limit, or the option of an annual 'selling rights' fee would seem to be the most practical option and the path of least resistance.

oh and another idea.... the classifieds is actually quite nice.... and in some way better laid out than a lot of shops.... would there be a market for shops or Luthiers advertsing their wares on it (and paying a small amount for the privilege)? Bass direct, Bass gallery - all the little wee shops up and down the land that only get the odd secondhand bass in....

Ped - any initial feelings on wether a voluntary contributing member scheme (a la TB) would work?

A big donate button, a star or two contributor's avatars, occasional posts every now and then reminding everyone how nice it would be if you got a few more donations... It might just work.

I'm not sure paying to use the classifieds is the way.. BC is more than that.

[quote name='wateroftyne' timestamp='1354741033' post='1889963']
Ped - any initial feelings on wether a voluntary contributing member scheme (a la TB) would work?

A big donate button, a star or two contributor's avatars, occasional posts every now and then reminding everyone how nice it would be if you got a few more donations... It might just work.

I'm not sure paying to use the classifieds is the way.. BC is more than that.
[/quote]

One thing we want to avoid is a hierarchy of different member groups. The only fair way to do it is through the marketplace. If some people think its unfair, and I think it'll be a minority, they can sell elsewhere - and either pay more or reach fewer customers.

We'll see how it goes, but due to limitations it's pretty much the only way available to us. Thankfully many think its fair and will support what we're doing.

Any system where members have to pay is going to be controversial but I'm glad this has been met with overwhelmingly positive feedback.

Soon it'll be over to you...

Cheers

My 2 pen'oth:

[b]Things that work for me:[/b]

Tiered membership system, on the TB model. Lowest (free) tier get no rights to starting marketplace threads.

Tiered advertising rights; Maybe free ads under £30 (in a subforum for that purpose) else £2 per ad maybe and a higher tier for say items over £300. (Tier levels are somewhat arbitrary choices).

A yearly fee for advertising, [b]provided[/b] there are lower tiers to allow people to sell items around the £15-£25 mark without huge expense.

[b]Things that don't work for me:[/b]

Yearly fee for advertising with no other options. There are plenty of years gone by where I've sold less than £50 worth of goods in the forums.

Paying to read adverts.

The new classifieds section (for all the reasons cited by others).

[b]And on bumping:[/b]

Why is it such a problem ? If you just want to see new threads (as I sometimes do) you can sort the forums by thread started date. Problem solved.

Guys .. I've said a few times now, items under £100 or so will be free to list.

Adverts will be visible to all, and free to reply to. No change there at all.

In terms of tiered arrangements, we're looking into what's possible. It's most likely, though, that we'll have one price to list items over the free threshold.

I think that the free / £2.00 / £20.00 deal has the virtue of simplicity and clarity. And thinking about it, £2.00 is a pretty tiny sum - and the most it could be is 1% of the sale cost and the proportion gets less the more the item costs.

OK, it's an additional cost to the seller, unless - as is presumably their intention - they sell the item, at which point one assumes the buyer effectively picks up the cost. We may not like it, but them's the breaks.

The reality (and principle of the matter) is that Ped and Steve cannot be expected to run the site at a personal loss simply for our benefit. Because the logical outcome of being a soft touch in a hard world is that they go broke and there's no site upon which to advertise, at which point we'd all be royally f***ed up the fundamental.

[color=#ffffff].[/color]

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='ped' timestamp='1354750730' post='1890119']
Guys .. I've said a few times now, items under £100 or so will be free to list.
[/quote]

Sorry, I missed that. Very long thread and I didn't read every single post. I did, in fact, fall asleep reading it, though that's probably not directly attributable to the thread itself.

I think Talkbass has a 'lifetime' membership that allows open access to the classifieds indefinitely.

I'd be happy to consider a single one-off donation of an amount greater than £20 to save the hassle of annual renewal.

Let's face it, £20 = just £1.67 a month for the potential to a huge, an knowledgeable, base of potential customers for any sale.

I can't think of anything that costs so little yet delivers such a wide, and directly relevant, target audience. I'd gladly pay a bit more to get things up and running with a solid base for future development :)