Why become a member? ×

Do You Play Your Bass Between Gigs?

Pete Academy

I only really play at rehearsal once a week or at gigs. The exception is if I'm writing or working on a new song.
I will go through the set once at home the night before a gig though. Like a pre match warm up.
If I feel musically inspired at home I'll write lyrics or pick up the strat copy and try writing something.
Bass is a social instrument for me. I find it a little dull to play unaccompanied.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1351594402' post='1852951']
I don't really play bass guitar at home any more but I do pick up the double bass pretty much every day. There are days when I'm not home for long enough to play it but otherwise it always gets picked up even if it's just for 15 minutes while I'm cooking dinner or something. Can't resist it.
[/quote]
This for me too ^^^^ (except I don't cook dinner, thankfully!)

I make sure I pick up a bass for an absolute minimum of 20 minutes every day. If im going away somewhere (not abroad) then I will take my acoustic.

I read somewhere years ago about 20 minutes a day is one of the best ways to do it and it stuck. Dunno if that's true or not. But its worked for me.

I find if i'm away abroad for a week I get itchy that i'm not playing. Kind of a guilty feeling!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1351591771' post='1852897']
Everyday is full of dilemmas. Do I practice electric bass or double bass? Do I practice bass or guitar? Do I practise reading or improvising? Scales or songs? Do I work on playing or composing? Or composing or recording? Do I play music or do I do some more writing/research for my next book?
[/quote]

Decisions !! decisions !!.......but nice ones. :)

Since I'm still learning I pretty well have to practice everyday or I'd start going backwards.
I do pick up the bass every night that I'm at home.

Trouble is there are some weeks when I have to go out straight from work about 3 or 4 times in a week.
I work quite a long day, and work is located near the city centre whereas home is out in the suburbs. So I tend to go to comedy gigs and rehearsals from work. Then when I get in gone 11, I just want to go straight to bed. The comedy scene is really taking off at the moment and I'm in 2 improv groups. I think I will really have to drop one of them in the New Year because it's all getting a bit much. I do need more time at home to practice the bass now .. I'm starting to forget songs I've already learned!

I will have to seriously think about how I can reduce some of my other comitments if I want to continue to improve as a bass player. Which I seriously do.

I try and make sure I do something musical 3 times a week outside of the rehearsal room. Be that composing, generating little bits to help other people in the band nail things, mixing, writing for the blog (oh pants I have a blog post to get done - dayummm), or yes practicing.

I tend to be so busy that my time for sitting down and practicing stuff has to be very much toward a set goal for rehearsals or upcoming gigs, so I dont get time to work on general playing improvements any more (not for years actually).

But my bass is hanging up by the bed, I pick it up and play it every day for a few minutes (maybe up to 20) just keeping my fingers going playing some riffs, grooves, and yes, arpeggios even, but its nto really practising so much as just keeping my hand in.

Years ago I used to practice far more constructively, but then I didnt have kids and a day job, so that was easy :D

I find that I might pick up my guitar once or twice a week, outside of rehearsals/gigs (which are bi weekly and a few a year, respectively). I very much enjoy it when I do, and can sit for hours playing whatever pops into my head, but I have to be in the right mood.

I find these days I do more practicing in my head than I do with an instrument in my hands.

I'm approaching my 20th anniversary of playing. When i was younger and learning i remember someone saying it's good to go back to basics every so often. I've never done it. So two weeks ago i started doing. I've started practising again for the first time since i was 21. Doing an hour a day, started right at the beginning, scales, technique exercises. Loving it and actual feel it is helping my overall playing.

The band I'm in just got a new drummer, a guy that is way better than the previous member - for Estonia, he's A-level whereas I'm a more C-level player. :P So my previous "hey, I'm still better than the drummer with only occasional work" practice routine has become a much more structured one. Now I play daily for 45-60 minutes, and feel that our material would suffer through lack of precision otherwise.

I can never work out how people can play really well without regular practice or at least time on the bass; I guess some people are much more talented than me, or that the 'decay' of their playing happens at a much slower rate. For me, if I'm not playing everyday, it's harder and less fun to play in rehearsal or at gigs.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1351547123' post='1852553']
As I've mentioned in another thread, I remember Gary Moore saying If you walk into a room where you keep your guitar and not feel the need to pick it up, then maybe it's not for you.
[/quote]

But didn't he also say that if you can walk into a room, you haven't had enough to drink?

:D

[quote name='OzMike' timestamp='1351670606' post='1853874']
The band I'm in just got a new drummer, a guy that is way better than the previous member - for Estonia, he's A-level whereas I'm a more C-level player. :P So my previous "hey, I'm still better than the drummer with only occasional work" practice routine has become a much more structured one. Now I play daily for 45-60 minutes, and feel that our material would suffer through lack of precision otherwise.

I can never work out how people can play really well without regular practice or at least time on the bass; I guess some people are much more talented than me, or that the 'decay' of their playing happens at a much slower rate. For me, if I'm not playing everyday, it's harder and less fun to play in rehearsal or at gigs.
[/quote]

I've played our set a lot of times, so I generally don't have a problem remembering the tunes. My main problem is losing some dexterity and muscle power.