Why become a member? ×

Do You Play Your Bass Between Gigs?

Pete Academy

As required.
If I have 2 long gigs (2 hours+ playing), and a long rehearsal then I probably won't play at home. I have a full week between other types of playing, or have songs to learn then I definitely will. I certainly don't overdo it! If I go see my mum & dad I might well play one of my dad's guitars for half an hour as well - just depends.

[quote name='Pete Academy' timestamp='1351711467' post='1854548']
My main problem is losing some dexterity and muscle power.
[/quote]
This is a big problem with upright bass if you don't practice regularly, along with losing calluses on finger tips

[quote name='Clarky' timestamp='1351763262' post='1854979']
This is a big problem with upright bass if you don't practice regularly, along with losing calluses on finger tips
[/quote]

How right you are, Clarky. I've been off gigs for four weeks due to illness. I had my first one last night after not much playing in the meantime. I'm now looking at two large purple blisters 8mm dia. I now feel like a complete novice. If only I had done a bit of regular woodshedding in the meantime.

Think it depnds partly on how technically competent you want to be or need to be for whatever style you play.
I def find that after a 2 wk holiday my hands are tight and can ache a bit at first rehearsal.
Don't think you put the same effort and strength into playing when practising at home on your own.

Dave

At the moment I'm playing with a load of musicians who are scarily good (e.g. turn up to a rehearsal and sight read stuff in 7/8 at ridiculous tempos etc) and it really inspires me to practise. I think putting yourself in situations where you're playing with people better than you is great motivation to improve. Also I want to get into playing jazz and so I'm practising my II-V-I's in every key every day on the double bass as well as learning tunes. When I've got a lot of gigs on I find it more difficult to get into a routine but now it's quite quiet & I can really get inside the music. Makes playing the bass much more satisfying!

Used to play every day (for years) but about a month ago a job change means i have been focused elsewhere. Only doing a few hours between gigs. I miss it a lot but also find that i am (IMHO of course) making progress.

On the upside i am a lot more energised for the gigs and a bit more sociable as i am able to talk to people about things that aren't just bass ;) (he said on a bass forum)