Why become a member? ×

Do You Play Your Bass Between Gigs?

Pete Academy

nope, play every day.

do the whole covers band set every two days or so, even if we've not got gigs.

and work on originals stuff when the inspiration strikes.

but i know what you mean about not wanting to repeat your work duties out of hours - i used to be a librarian and i read maybe 4 books a year.

Edited by ahpook

Christ, I'd never manage with the crazy riffs my guitarist sends me if I didnt practise everyday!

As I've mentioned in another thread, I remember Gary Moore saying If you walk into a room where you keep your guitar and not feel the need to pick it up, then maybe it's not for you.

[quote name='ahpook' timestamp='1351546640' post='1852545']
do the whole covers band set every two days or so, even if we've not got gigs.
[/quote]

I couldn't do that....I also don't really see the point if you are already playing the set regularly.

I play most days,usual something that I can't play already...be it new songs or exercises or whatever. I'll sometimes
step back and relearn something that I've not played for a long time,but I always try to do something different.
Of course there have been times after busy periods where I want to get away from the instrument for a few days,so I
won't play much,just enough to keep my hands working,but generally I'll pick the bass up everyday for a bit.

[quote name='Leen2112' timestamp='1351547123' post='1852553']
Christ, I'd never manage with the crazy riffs my guitarist sends me if I didnt practise everyday!

As I've mentioned in another thread, I remember Gary Moore saying If you walk into a room where you keep your guitar and not feel the need to pick it up, then maybe it's not for you.
[/quote]

Gary talked a lot of bollocks.

Since I left my last band about 2 months ago, I havn't really played at all. just got totally hacked off with the whole thing. Trying to find a new decent band and dealing with the normal constant stream of idiots, dreamers and timewasters don't help.

But hey, there's light at the end of the tunnel, got a try out with a new band tomorrow night, so hoping it goes well.

May even get me wanting to start playing between gigs again. ;)

I have 2 bands a full time time job and a 3 year old. Most of the time by the end of the day I'm pissed off and just want to flake out on the sofa so nah not much. Maybe about 3 hours a week if I'm lucky. Having said that I do have periods where I'm really inspired and can't put the thing down but then have weeks where I just can't be bothered.

I go in phases. I've we're rehearsing or gigging every week I sometimes never take my bass out of the case except for at the studio, sometimes I practice every day and take that practice into the studio.

When we're not, sometimes though I play every day. Something new, something old... whatever. Sometimes I see an exercise I'd like to try and that makes me play more. Sometimes I decide to play a line slightly differently so I practice that.

Sometimes I can't be bothered. Like everything else :lol:

Gigs, what are those lol, if I could get my band all in same room at same time I might consider playing my bass. Seriously though, when I played 2 / 3 nights per week, most weeks of year (long time ago) I never picked the thing up otherwise. These days I dabble now and then, bit Gary Moore like lol, when I see the pile in other room.

I'm in the fortunate position where I'm covering a lot of new stuff all the time so, for me, practice is 3-4 times a week to nail new material. Got a lot coming up, will be trying to do practice every ay for the coming couple of weeks. I won't be able to for practical reasons, but I'll need to be dong an awful lot.

[quote name='phil.i.stein' timestamp='1351547534' post='1852566']
being in an 'originals' band, means you rarely get gigs...
[/quote]

I don't understand this statement.

For me it depends, but I probably pick up and play some musical instrument for at least 5 minutes every day.

Well at the moment I'm gigging twice a week and rehearsing once a week too so not at the moment as all the material I need to know is well and truly learned by now!

During the after Xmas lull I'll be practicing new songs and teaching myself new sh*t along the way to keep it all interesting.

Truckstop

Truckstop

I'd like to play every day, but with two little 'uns and all the rest of it I find that I've got very little time to [i]properly[/i] play - exercises, stretching my abilities and technique. I used to do loads of playing, whether I was gigging or not, but just for the minute I've got other priorities.

I have to teach and record jobs inbetween gigs, so I don't get much rest. However, I do try to give myself at least one day off a week or two days back to back and leave the basses in their cases so I can switch off. It's my job, so I try to give myself some normality as if I was doing any other job. Okay, it rarely happens, but I do try.

But, even though I am frequently playing I struggle to find the time to study and practice myself because all of my time and energy is going into doing other things. When I do find the time it's hard to turn down friends and family invitations to do social stuff by saying "nah...sorry. I need to grab a bass tonight and practice my arpeggios!". That excuse doesn't go down well!

Edited by shizznit