Why become a member? ×

Shall I sweep the floor with my a*se whilst I play bass?

tonyclaret

Check out this ad I stumbled on.

Now I'm all for Depping here and there to help folks out. However this band clearly think this is a fair deal and you should think yourself lucky, in fact this doesn't fall short of actually paying them for the privilege of helping out!

http://nwb.co/blog/post/46993/souldout/dep-bassist-required

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1349989526' post='1833344']
Looks like they're an 8 piece; doing covers I doubt they'd get much more than £50 each up here.

I'd doubt they'd be snowed under with venues with a big enough stage/playing area either.
[/quote]

Well they should be getting more than £400 for an 8pc band even in the North. They'd be really under selling themselves.

4 rehearsals. Are they that bad? Is it just those songs?

In every band's list of things to do should be to record a live gig so a dep has material to practice to if you're doing non standard arrangements.

Edited by TimR

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1349990892' post='1833379']
4 rehearsals. Are they that bad? Is it just those songs?

In every band's list of things to do should be to record a live gig so a dep has material to practice to if you're doing non standard arrangements.
[/quote]

Absolutely, or provide a list or even cd of songs covered and point any specific changes at a rehearsal. Yeah 4 is overkill.

I like depping for working bands as I don't have to commit and get to do a few gigs here and there, so I'd do it if there maybe a few more gigs down the line for a bit more dosh, but if they are established with that set surely ONE rehearsal run through to fit in is all that is needed, I'd not do 4?

Edited by lojo

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1349990892' post='1833379']
[/quote]
Or have charts.

It's pushing it a bit to ask someone to play a party for £50,but expecting 4 rehearsals too is taking
the piss out of whoever deps.

The price and number of practices smacks of a group of inexperienced musicians who are unsure themselves of what they're playing. Especially if that's their actual setlist. Maybe they've spent months honing those tunes.

Very odd otherwise.

Would suit an inexperienced bass player who was looking to get some band and gig experience. Maybe their exsisting bass players have given them some reason to think bass players need extra time.

Although when I auditioned for my current band they seemed to be pretty impressed how quickly I learned the tunes as they'd struggled with all their previous players.

Wow - flame brigade! I'm surprised by the negativity on here - I wonder how many BC members would appreciate being told they're s**t when they post their little you tube vids.

Way I see it - it's probably linked to the "play for free thread".

They've made the ad, if you don't want it - ignore it. I'm not sure it warrants the pikes and burning torches.

Just my opinion of course.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350029248' post='1833604']
Wow - flame brigade! I'm surprised by the negativity on here - I wonder how many BC members would appreciate being told they're s**t when they post their little you tube vids.

Way I see it - it's probably linked to the "play for free thread".

They've made the ad, if you don't want it - ignore it. I'm not sure it warrants the pikes and burning torches.

Just my opinion of course.
[/quote]

plus the one.

decaff anyone ?

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1349991254' post='1833397']
Or have charts.

It's pushing it a bit to ask someone to play a party for £50,but expecting 4 rehearsals too is taking
the piss out of whoever deps.
[/quote]

yep... why would a dep need 4 rehearsals anyway.... I can only conclude the band needs it...??

They'll struggle big time to fill it with anyone any good.
The most..IMO..that it has to offer, is networking.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350029248' post='1833604']Wow - flame brigade! I'm surprised by the negativity on here - I wonder how many BC members would appreciate being told they're s**t when they post their little you tube vids.[/quote]

It is sort-of relevant to the topic though. If they were a better band they wouldn't have this requirement and the dep slot would look a lot more attractive.

[quote name='Huge Hands' timestamp='1350029248' post='1833604']
[/quote]

As always, I'd rather have someone tell me constructively than think it but nod and smile.

Maybe the band just likes rehearsing... but why would anyone want to be a dep for the dep and play with the band for 5 nights for £50?

I'd say a dep would need to be desperate to take up this offer, but then,as we found out in other threads, there are so many of us who would happily play for free that £50 would be like winning the Lottery.

I'd do it if it was local. I enjoy playing and would love to play that set list. I know the money is rubbish but id rather be out playing that night and breaking even than sitting in watching bloody TV.
"If" they were a large band then the rehearsal cost wouldn't be much, and if they need it whats the problem?
Im sure they are just asking for someone to stand in, it wouldnt have to be a professional dep (they wont get one for that money anyway). Whose to say how good a "dep" will be. He/she could well be pants and be the worst player in the room. Im sure there are many players out there that would be up for it, only to be out of their depth.
A real good player wont want to know, so that leaves those who maybe aren't. I'd certainty not want to go on stage without rehearsal if thats the case.

Edited by dave_bass5