Why become a member? ×

Floating thumb or anchored?

Floyd

Who uses a floating thumb technique rather than anchoring it on a pickup?

I've been working on "We've gotta get out of this place" and I couldn't get it muted really clean so I've switched to a floating thumb. I'm picking it up ok and I think I'm playing quicker.

Floating thumb. I first tried it as a result of Stuart Clayton's 'Crash Course' book. Now I do it without thinking. In fact my teacher remarked on it at my last lesson - said I was doing it quite naturally.

I find the floating thumb does help with the muting as I'm a bit sh*t at left hand muting.

When this question was last asked, I was firmly anchored... or at least so I thought! When I actually started to pay more attention to what I was doing, I realised that my thumb did indeed float from time to time. Strangely, I now find that it has a tendency to float more and more... :huh: :D But for that heavier touch when I dig in (which is pretty often!) it goes back to it's home anchorage. I'm happy either way.

Edited by Conan

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1348731568' post='1817358']
But does it matter...?
[/quote]

Well...yes it could do, if you are prone to wrist injuries due to having it bent most of the time. Granted, lots of people play with a bent wrist and get away without problems, but others find that they experience carpel tunnel type problems, so the FT is ideal in this case.

I use FT all of the time.

My thumb tends to rest on the pup or on the E string (if I'm playing on the D or G) a lot of the time. It spends just as much time floating about , or more accurately pratting about in some silly show off pose or other. I don't 'need' to anchor to play OK , if that's the question being asked. I'm not really bothered where it goes.

My left hand is allergic to staying on the neck when I play open strings so moves off and waves about - holds mic stands - throws even more ridiculous posy shapes etc etc. Even for an odd couple of notes. Insecurity I suppose , thinking that the punters will think I'm 'pretending'. Silly because they generally wouldn't know - or care - if I was playing it with my ear lobes

its sort of anchored but floats around position wise depending where im plucking the sting for whatever tonal nuance i wish to achieve (my tone pot tends to stay fully open in fact it might well as not be there at all)

and then occasionally my thumb will come away from its anchor completely but mostly for various [b][i][font=georgia,serif]ppp[/font][/i][/b] soft tones :)

otherwise it is anchored on the top of either pickup or sometimes on the top edge of the very end of the fretboard

edit - i tried anchoring my thumb with a pick the other day but it almost dislocated itself in horror!! :o ;) :P

Edited by steve-bbb

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1348731568' post='1817358']
But does it matter...? People don't have to be led down certains paths all the time.
[/quote]

It's an interesting question, and if someone wants to know the answer - then yes, it does matter. :rolleyes:

Nobody is leading anyone down any paths here - just asking a question! Nobody has to answer if they don't want to. :)

Floating for me to, well most of the time, if I'm playing a tune with lots of 8th notes on the E string say I might rest my thumb on the B string or the top of the pick-up, I'm in the camp of what works best for you is right, this can change from song to song.

I use floating anchor. I move my thumb depending on which string I'm playing. Works well for me.

Muting the strings with your right hand is a technique that came in long after the end of the 60's. We've Got To Get Out Of This Place wasn't played muted by Chas Chandler as he used a pick. It was probably recorded with foam under the strings which is why it can sound muted.

I have played this song in the covers band and it sounds fine without muting.
[font=Arial][size=2] [/size][/font]

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1348735376' post='1817410']
I use floating anchor. I move my thumb depending on which string I'm playing. Works well for me.

Muting the strings with your right hand is a technique that came in long after the end of the 60's. We've Got To Get Out Of This Place [b]wasn't played muted[/b] by Chas Chandler [b]as he used a pick[/b].
[/quote]

I mute [i]and[/i] use a pick loads, its how you get that 60s flatwound sound with roundwounds on innit?

I like to rest my thumb on the pickup or the end of the neck some of the time, depends on what you're playing doesn't it? its a different sound.

I'm with Dr Dave. Most of the time my thumb is floating, but it will anchor onto a pickup or the E string without me even thinking about it to suit what I'm playing.

It's hard to play slap with your thimb anchored though! Maybe a good thing. :P

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1348735376' post='1817410']

Muting the strings with your right hand is a technique that came in long after the end of the 60's. We've Got To Get Out Of This Place wasn't played muted by Chas Chandler as he used a pick. It was probably recorded with foam under the strings which is why it can sound muted.

I have played this song in the covers band and it sounds fine without muting.

[/quote]

I've got this (and others) for an audition and I'm just a bit bothered about the first few bars when it's the bass and not much else.