Why become a member? ×

Floating thumb or anchored?

Floyd

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1348733678' post='1817383']
Well...yes it could do, if you are prone to wrist injuries due to having it bent most of the time. Granted, lots of people play with a bent wrist and get away without problems, but others find that they experience carpel tunnel type problems, so the FT is ideal in this case.

I use FT all of the time.
[/quote]

In that case, you'll work out what works for you. but muting or lack of it just bad technique so people should put more time into what they already do.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1348733876' post='1817384']
My left hand is allergic to staying on the neck when I play open strings so moves off and waves about - holds mic stands - throws even more ridiculous posy shapes etc etc.
[/quote]

Added to which you need it free for making rude gestures at the audience! :P

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1348748094' post='1817658']
In that case, you'll work out what works for you. but muting or lack of it just bad technique so people should put more time into what they already do.
[/quote]
People may just need a little direction. This is not being lead, they merely want to ask for the opinions of more experienced players. That's why we have forums like BC.

Once armed with the appropriate information, these people are in a position to try out all the advice given, and can [b]THEN [/b]decide what works for or matters to them.

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1348744849' post='1817589']
....I've got this (and others) for an audition and I'm just a bit bothered about the first few bars when it's the bass and not much else....
[/quote]

Just aim to get a nice round fat sound via the eq.

If you're at an audition the last thing you need is extra pressure from trying to play a new technique as well.

My first teacher taught me to float (if you mean on the pickup when on the E, on the E when playing the A, on the A when playing the D and so on) and I've stuck with it ever since.

I've tried anchoring my thumb to the pickup and couldn't, nor could I work out a good reason why I'd want to.

[quote name='Jacqueslemac' timestamp='1348761132' post='1817868']
My first teacher taught me to float (if you mean on the pickup when on the E, on the E when playing the A, on the A when playing the D and so on) and I've stuck with it ever since.

I've tried anchoring my thumb to the pickup and couldn't, nor could I work out a good reason why I'd want to.
[/quote]

No thats moving but anchored - floating is where the thumb never hits an anchor point but remains lightly (very lightly) resting on the strings:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1348764926' post='1817923']
No thats moving but anchored - floating is where the thumb never hits an anchor point but remains lightly (very lightly) resting on the strings:-

[[/quote]

Aaah.. maybe that's what I'm doing then. i.e moving but anchored. Anyway it seems to work for me. :)

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/media]
[/quote]

Oh, that's what I thought floating was (thumb resting on previous string) - that's what I do... So 'floating' means the thumb is just waving around? Surely not??

I very rarely use the floating thumb technique...My thumb is usually anchored lightly on on the string below
where I'm playing.It's anchored but moving. I find that I can mute the strings easier that way,because I use
my thumb along with my ring and little fingers to mute (similar to Patitucci).

The answer is both. I have found that over the years the right hand just does what it wants. I mean that i can't remember ever choosing one technique over another - it seems to have its own little brain that decides these matters. Funny thing is is that if i sit down and look at what my right hand is doing it freaks me out a bit. I have found the best policy is to trust that it knows what to do.

You're right. I need to play it as I play the rest but floating thumb will be on my practice schedule after this. I've tried anchoring my thumb on strings but it's not as fast as ft. Funny but just focusing on one number has made me realise that my playing a bit sloppy

[quote name='Floyd' timestamp='1348783534' post='1818330']
....Funny but just focusing on one number has made me realise that my playing a bit sloppy...
[/quote]

That happens. It's just part of playing the bass better.

I wouldn't call it sloppy and I wouldn't get hung up on [i]floating [/i]or [i]anchor[/i]. You can see YouTube's of many top payers with various [i]anchored[/i] thumb techniques, so it's not bad. One way or the other, just do what works best for you.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPVMBPmrblU[/media]
[/quote]

Have to say that that is a completely nothing video.....IMO but there you go..!

Why would you need to mute strings you aren't plucking..?? that is just sloppy playing.
I can understand muting the string you are attacking but that is what the LH is for
A floating technique has more relevance when you actually using the thumb but then you will still likely be anchored
either by the thumb on the string itself as in double thumping or by the little finger of the right hand for Caron's type of attack

Other than that... who cares..?? if you think you can see the benefit then go ahead.... but the faster movement would be the indivual fingers rather than the whole
arm from the shoulder as depicted in the video.