Why become a member? ×

Strap height

chrismuzz

The Guitard next to you destroys any semblance of cool with his choice of leggings, plus the first pic is black and white, and therefore looks way cooler. By the way, my bass is going the opposite direction. From slinging it around my knees, it's currently just above belt height, and take it from one who knows, you can get busier with less wrist strain the higher it is.

[quote name='billyapple' timestamp='1348267762' post='1811830']
The Guitard next to you destroys any semblance of cool with his choice of leggings, plus the first pic is black and white, and therefore looks way cooler. By the way, my bass is going the opposite direction. From slinging it around my knees, it's currently just above belt height, and take it from one who knows, you can get busier with less wrist strain the higher it is.
[/quote]

I know right :lol:

I still have it on the high side on the 6 string, there's no way you can look cool with one of those anyway right?

And with regards to the wrist strain thing, yeah, thats why i've always played with it fairly high but I'm finding I can incrementally lower it without it sacrificing my playing or my health... PLUS it makes things easier on my right hand! :)

Might still have trouble if I go stupid though....

My dad idolises this guy, which is probably why he's a ridiculously sh*t bass player :lol:

Gotta admit that's f***ing cool though

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348268630' post='1811847']

I know right :lol:

I still have it on the high side on the 6 string, there's no way you can look cool with one of those anyway right?

And with regards to the wrist strain thing, yeah, thats why i've always played with it fairly high but I'm finding I can incrementally lower it without it sacrificing my playing or my health... PLUS it makes things easier on my right hand! :)

Might still have trouble if I go stupid though....

My dad idolises this guy, which is probably why he's a ridiculously sh*t bass player :lol:

Gotta admit that's f***ing cool though
[/quote]
He shouldn't pick his nose...

I keep mine at pretty much the same height standing as when I'm sitting,give or take an inch or
two. Some basses feel comfortable a little lower than others-it depends on the body shape and
scale length.

Personally,I'd be more concerned with the left hand positioning in the first pic ;)

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348273569' post='1811892']
I keep mine at pretty much the same height standing as when I'm sitting,give or take an inch or
two.
[/quote]

The Billy Sheehan approach? I pay close attention to a lot of what he says, smart guy and great player evern if some don't like his 'lead bass' thing!

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348273569' post='1811892']
Personally,I'd be more concerned with the left hand positioning in the first pic ;)
[/quote]

I know right? :lol: First time I'd picked up a 4 string 'proper bass' in over a year! Felt weird lol

[quote name='Joe86' timestamp='1348274098' post='1811894']
I can't see any difference in bass height. The camera angle in pic 2 seems to give the illusion of a lower bass but both the 'nipple to horn' and 'jack to crotch' distances remain very similar upon inspection. Hmmm.......... you trolling?

:happy:
[/quote]

The camera was slightly above me on the first picture so the bass actually looks lower than it is! Plus I'm standing up straight in the second picture :D

Edited by chrismuzz

as Im getting older the strap is getting shorter,the bass now sits around the belt line,just on the beer belly.In the past the bass has been very low slung ,hit myself in the gonads once :gas: doeing the pose thing,bass thrusting,now all I get is sore ribs if I pratt about,but you do look very cool the lower the bass is the cooler. B) as for the guitard :(

Mines gone up a bit over the years, I can't pull of the playing it round your knees any more :( Even my bass hero's like Simmo have sensible had to move the bass up a notch or 2 over the years
Just play it where it feels comfortable, a lot of cool players wearing the bass fairly high as well.

I play with the bass fairly low strung, but it because I have a shoulder injury, and any position other than my right arm straight down by the side of my body hurts the injury. That said, I`m happy to admit it is far easier to play higher up, and most of the bassists I think look cool don`t have it strung too low - Foxton, Matlock, Burnell.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348274766' post='1811898']
The camera was slightly above me on the first picture so the bass actually looks lower than it is! Plus I'm standing up straight in the second picture :D
[/quote]

There's your answer. Simply lean forward while you play.

After an embarrassing zipper failure on stage some years ago, I always ensure the bottom of the bass cover that area, and now the middle aged spread has started to settle in the bass kinda positions itself, with the contour on the back of the bass fitting snugly with my slight belly. The chances of getting a decent buckle rash are getting slimmer and slimmer which unfortunately I am not.

Be careful about having the bass too high though, or you'll start to look like a T-Rex :P

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1348273154' post='1811889']
I think the rule is that the bass should cover the belly-button area. Anything lower or higher is uncool.

I know stuff like this because I am a fat bald middle-aged man and fat bald middle-aged men are the arbiters of cool.
[/quote]

This....
I am in total agreement :)

Higher the better without making it part of your head of course. Playing bass has got to be all about how you perform and make it sound and how you feel whilst you play and that's best done when you have the best control and feel over it. That means high not low! Trust me after 26 years of playing, its all about the feel.

Strikes me that for metal these days you need it down by your knees, with the headstock somewhere around your left ear! Playing with a shorter strap a few years ago played merry Hell with my tennis elbow (I still blame learning 'Hit me with your Rhythm Stick' for giving it to me in the first place!), as playing with a flexed elbow made it worse, so mine resides just below belt level these days for a straighter arm.

I've always played with the bass low, the top horn is just below my belly button and it's angled so the headstock is about level with my shoulder, for me I've found that to be the most comfortable position.

Other than the angle of the bass, I don't see much difference in the pics either.

Edited by MrTaff

I am playing in two bands at the moment and have a different strap for each band!

One band is a pop/rock covers band that I use a P bass with a plectrum. Low slung.
The other is a a Latin/funk band that I use a J bass and play with me fingers and have a shorter strap.

I tried the low slung P bass recently with the Latin/funk band and the next day I had wrist ache, so wont be doing that again!

I don't see a difference in the pics

I wear my bass like a bow tie which looks really uncool. I'd like to say I don't care, but I do... it just feels comfortable that way.

Doesn't help that I'm really short and play a P-bass, which makes me look like one of The Borrowers...

Edited by Evil Undead