Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Strap height

chrismuzz

When I was playing in a rock band 12yrs ago I used to have the bass below my belt with the bass angled diagonally around 55 degrees. Think Rob Trujillo and you will get the picture! Now I play it just underneath rib cage and the angle of the bass is completely straight (horizontal).

I have ditched the cool rock 'n' roll pose in favor of comfort. The older I get the sillier I look trying to be a rock star anyway!

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1348312454' post='1812172']
When I was playing in a rock band 12yrs ago I used to have the bass below my belt with the bass angled diagonally around 55 degrees. Think Rob Trujillo and you will get the picture! Now I play it just underneath rib cage and the angle of the bass is completely straight (horizontal).

I have ditched the cool rock 'n' roll pose in favor of comfort. The older I get the sillier I look trying to be a rock star anyway!
[/quote]

This is a good example of everybody being built different and one position not working for everybody, I've just tried and there's no way I could do 1234 fingering in the lower postions at that hight and angle, my stomach pushes the bass too far outwards.

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1348311221' post='1812142']
Why do people always think that any kind of style must be detracting from the substance?

Surely style and substance should be equal?
[/quote]

Depends. I'm a 'music-first' sort of chap whereas I reckon a lot of 'pop' is more about the fashion. But each to their own, which is why I posted my comment as a question.

But considering how most music is 'consumed' via recordings, I can't see that things like strap-height makes any difference.

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348274766' post='1811898']
The Billy Sheehan approach?
[/quote]
Kind of,but with slightly more variation depending on the bass.
For me it's all about comfort and facility. If it's too low it puts my left wrist at an sharper,more uncomfortable
angle and makes it more difficult to play in the higher register. Likewise,if it's too high I have to bend my right
wrist at a sharper angle and I find the lower positions to be too much of a reach,which again puts my hand in
an uncomfortable position. Keeping it at around sitting position means I have easy access to the entire range
of the instrument and a comfortable right hand position.

Haha I like how many emotions this thread has raised :)

I don't want to make playing the bass any more difficult for myself, hence the very slow descent! At the moment my fretting hand can still get around comfortably which is the way I'm hoping it will stay..

On the other hand (the right one), in finding plucking the strings a lot easier with a slightly straighter arm!

So if its any less offensive, there's now a practical reason for it :D

(I still desperately want to look cool playing one dag though ;))

Because of my neck/shoulder/arm/back problems I have a very small window of strap height in which I can play comfortably. If it's at the best height for my playing, it's unfortunately quite painful, so I have to have the bass somewhat lower than would be ideal. Even sitting down I have issues because much of my problem is aggravated by shoulder/arm position.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1348321538' post='1812308']
Kind of,but with slightly more variation depending on the bass.
For me it's all about comfort and facility. If it's too low it puts my left wrist at an sharper,more uncomfortable
angle and makes it more difficult to play in the higher register. Likewise,if it's too high I have to bend my right
wrist at a sharper angle and I find the lower positions to be too much of a reach,which again puts my hand in
an uncomfortable position. Keeping it at around sitting position means I have easy access to the entire range
of the instrument and a comfortable right hand position.
[/quote]

+1 on what this man says.

For the vast majority of people, wearing the bass at about the same height as it is when you play with it your lap when sitting on a chair will be the most condusive to unhindered technique . Playing the bass is hard enough without making life even harder for yourself by wearing it round your knees. It doesn't even look cool to wear the bass low , it just looks like someone following the same tired old cliche of what is suppopsed to be " rock and roll". If you've got arms like a gorilla or some kind of disability then be my guest, but for anyone with normal physiology it's pure affectation.

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1348273154' post='1811889']
I think the rule is that the bass should cover the belly-button area. Anything lower or higher is uncool.

I know stuff like this because I am a fat bald middle-aged man and fat bald middle-aged men are the arbiters of cool.
[/quote]

+1 on this, too.

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348325450' post='1812368']
. It doesn't even look cool to wear the bass low , it just looks like someone following the same tired old cliche of what is suppopsed to be " rock and roll". If you've got arms like a gorilla or some kind of disability then be my guest, but for anyone with normal physiology it's pure affectation.
[/quote]

[attachment=119028:293080_10151215908086944_1279895404_n.jpg]

It's probably something I'll live to regret admitting but I tend to change my strap height several times during a set. I've got Comfort Strapps on my basses which allow me to easily and quickly alter the height.

There's some tunes we cover where it's much more practical to have the bass higher just under my ribcage, as i use finger style or slap. Other tunes, where I'm giving it some with a pick and standing with my legs splayed trying to look cool, it feels more natural to have the guitar slung quite low.

[quote name='bubinga5' timestamp='1348298346' post='1811954']
forget fashion.. !! play where it feels comfortable and forget about everything else.. respect and admiration comes from your playing, not where you wear your bass..
[/quote]
are you completely mad?? Of *course* it matters where you wear your bass... looks are everything! :o

[quote name='tonyf' timestamp='1348336624' post='1812563']
It's probably something I'll live to regret admitting but I tend to change my strap height several times during a set. I've got Comfort Strapps on my basses which allow me to easily and quickly alter the height.

There's some tunes we cover where it's much more practical to have the bass higher just under my ribcage, as i use finger style or slap. Other tunes, where I'm giving it some with a pick and standing with my legs splayed trying to look cool, it feels more natural to have the guitar slung quite low.
[/quote]

If I saw a bassist changing strap height throughout a set i'd be in absolute awe - i'd assume he was an expert and needed to get that last 0.0001% of expression and feeling out of his playing.

Top trumps to you today me thinks :)

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348267286' post='1811824']
So this year I've been practicing on keeping my technique at the same level, whilst lowering my strap gradually...

Does anyone else care this much about how they look? :lol:

In the last few months I've gone from this

To this

Am I cool or what??

:unsure:
[/quote]

Your technique looks to be a million miles better in the second picture which is really unusual!

Mine have always been set so that the lower heel of the bass is at "tackle height".
in my single days I gained great kudos from a woman in a pub who wanted to know why I had a hole rubbed in my jeans at the top of my right leg & I said it was from my bass............ so it does happen .............. occasionally............... rarely................ sometimes.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348397701' post='1813057']
Mine have always been set so that the lower heel of the bass is at "tackle height".
in my single days I gained great kudos from a woman in a pub who wanted to know why I had a hole rubbed in my jeans at the top of my right leg & I said it was from my bass............ so it does happen .............. occasionally............... rarely................ sometimes.
[/quote]

May i respectfully suggest that was more of a 'come on' line than a genuine enquiry about how your jeans were wearing? :P

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1348397701' post='1813057']
[/quote]

You should have told them the clue is in the name... Hi , I'm Big Stu , pleased to meet you...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1348406301' post='1813186']
You should have told them the clue is in the name... Hi , I'm Big Stu , pleased to meet you...
[/quote]

Ha! one woman; different one; once came up to me and said "You're tall!" :blink:
I said "Ssssh, no-one else seems to have noticed yet, I think I've got away with it!"
She apologised (unnecessarily) for being so obvious,
so I said "My dad used to put fertiliser in our shoes when we were kids, 'cept he didn't call it fertiliser .......... I'm the smallest of three brothers"..........

........ *sigh* ............. and she was a nurse............ *sigh*............... and she fitted all the "Carry On" stereotypes............... *sigh*....

[quote name='chrismuzz' timestamp='1348396294' post='1813022']
Haha, first BCer to say its better lower :lol:
[/quote]

In the first picture your right hand looks strained and you're having to attack the strings at a funny angle. Your left hand thumb is coming over the neck and you're fretting heavily with your index finger. In the second picture, your left hand looks much better but your right hand still looks like its in a difficult position. That means better in second pic IMO

Edited by skej21