Why become a member? ×

What is...........

deefer_dog

Jazzer so it tends to be black suit with black or white shirts for formal functions. Same with my function band. If its less formal, nice, smart/colourful shirt, jacket and clean trousers. I always think jeans look a bit naff, like you've just come off your allotment and t-shirts and hoodies make 50-year olds look a bit sad!

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1347622754' post='1803140']
Jazzer so it tends to be black suit with black or white shirts for formal functions. Same with my function band. If its less formal, nice, smart/colourful shirt, jacket and clean trousers.[i][b] I always think jeans look a bit naff, like you've just come off your allotment and t-shirts and hoodies make 50-year olds look a bit sad![/b][/i]
[/quote]

I wear nothing but jeans :P I'm mid twenties so I can get away with hoodies/tshirts ;) I can't ever imagine playing a gig in a suit though! Only times I wore a suit in any way lately were for a funeral, a wedding, and working the door of a hotel ( made a change from the combats and black tee ).

I play in comfortable clothes, but the hat is like my good luck charm, plus I can hide my face ;)

Big Red, Bilbo and Low End Bee have nailed it.

I don't gig currently as I've just moved back up North, but I think a decent smart suit or a band style makes you come across much more professional.

When we have dress down days at work I never bother with it unless I'm off out afterwards. I just feel wrong working in law sat with casual clothes and shoes on. I like suits...a lot. Pair of decent Chelsea boots and boom, sorted.

The mods got it right (most the time...ish).

Skinny jeans and some sort of glamorous top. Must have sleeves though at my age. So a black lace shrug with long tight sleeves is good to go over anything. Lots of bling but it has to be chosen carefully. No long dangly necklaces that would clash against the bass. Likewise no bangles that would rattle together. Sparkly cuff style bracelets are good.
Also boots or wedge heeled shoes. Comfy but not as boring as trainers.
Careful make up and dim lighting is also a big help!

I tend to stick to jeans and a t-shirt. I tried for a long time to wear a shirt to every gig, but didn't want to set things up wearing a shirt so I would arrive at the gig, get things set up, then change into the shirt in the toilet. I have since got fed up of this and noone else bothers. The drummer does wear a baseball cap, but he is balding, AND american, so there is that....

I think somebody once said something like "Wear what your audience is wearing, but ramp it up by 10% or more".

As Bilbo said, there comes a time in one's life when suiting up is the sensible thing to do. This was confirmed to me when reading a magazine article about Robert Cray, where the illustrations showed him in both formal and informal modes. I know which looks more convincing to me:

Edited by skankdelvar

Dark suit - polished shoes - great shirt - sometimes a tie. I have a loverly black shirt with sequins that shine in the stage lights. Yeah baby - its nice to feel good on stage. We charge a lot of money for gigs so turning up in a pair of jeans is a no-no for us.

Will do jeans and a t-shirt for pub gigs but don't do many of those these days (although doinf one tonight)

[quote name='skankdelvar' timestamp='1347626374' post='1803235']
I think somebody once said something like "Wear what your audience is wearing, but ramp it up by 10% or more".

As Bilbo said, there comes a time in one's life when suiting up is the sensible thing to do. This was confirmed to me when reading a magazine article about Robert Cray, where the illustrations showed him in both formal and informal modes. I know which looks more convincing to me:

[/quote]
In picture 1 he looks something like a musician. Pic 2 reminds me of ....

That is what you meant, isn't it?

I love the idea of wearing a suit on stage, but once I start playing my body heat seems to rise to a similar temperature to a small forest fire so it just doesn't work for me. If we ever have to play a black tie do I'll be a dripping mess long before we reach Mustang Sally ;)

In the function band I'm usually dark kecks, black or white shirt and a black tie. I'll crack out a waistcoat too if it doesn't make me look too much like the waiters, after an embarassing evening where I was dressed exactly the same as them. Prefer the all black look at the moment.

For original band gigs, it was usually jeans, converse and either a check shirt in the Americana band or a fitted tee shirt in the rock bands. Anything more than that and I'm melting. I live in my beenie hat and have occasionally tried to wear it on stage, but as soon as I start rocking out it either goes backwards and off or forwards and over my eyes, which looks a bit soft either way!