Why become a member? ×

Is Peavey gear any good?

alwoodcock

Yes!

If you can get hold of a Firebass 700 with a matching 4x10 it'll last forever and you'll sound like god. So much power! And you'll probably spend no more than £250. Most peavey amps tend to go down to 2ohms so can power 4 8ohm cabs!

However, Peavey stuff is not for the fainthearted. It is a bit on the heavy side and is pretty much as big as it can be! If you can stand the size and weight you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Personally I wouldn't go for the Mk 1-4's as they're getting quite old now, but the Firebass 700 and Tour 400 are solid buys.

Truckstop

[quote name='Tee' timestamp='1347029563' post='1796223']
I once played through some big, knackered 80s looking Peavey head, through an Ashdown 4x10 and it was pretty good.
[/quote]

Peavey heads and cabs tend to develop a rather intriguing "distressed" look after 30 or so years in practice rooms and tour vans :)

To answer the OP: yes, they are

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1347013175' post='1795939']
Yes!

If you can get hold of a Firebass 700 with a matching 4x10 it'll last forever and you'll sound like god. So much power! And you'll probably spend no more than £250. Most peavey amps tend to go down to 2ohms so can power 4 8ohm cabs!

However, Peavey stuff is not for the fainthearted. It is a bit on the heavy side and is pretty much as big as it can be! If you can stand the size and weight you'll be very pleasantly surprised.

Personally I wouldn't go for the Mk 1-4's as they're getting quite old now, but the Firebass 700 and Tour 400 are solid buys.

Truckstop
[/quote]

My MK IV is easily the loudest amp I own and it's never ever, missed a beat and I don't expect it to either. I've heard stories of them continuing to work well after bouncing down the stairs and falling out the back of vans on the way home,

It weighs around the same as a GS112.

Yes I used to own a peavey stack that I brought second hand, not sure how old it was originally?
I toured with it for a good five years. I sold it about 7 years ago to a rehearsal studio and it's still there to this very day! It gets used every day all day!! Apparently they changed a transistor once!? Amazing really! Very well built and descent sound to suit.

Like most above have said, good solid workhorses that weigh the same.

From your other thread, you're looking for amp/cab or combo for @ £400. There's a lot of things out there that fits in your budget from Ashdown & Hartke to Peavey & so on.
I'd recommend a 2nd hand Markbass LMII head (usually @ £250 - £300 now) & get yourself a decent 2x10 with what's left & then add another 2x10 or upgrade the cab when funds allow.

Go & try some stuff & see what you get on best with. :)

Edited by xgsjx

I've had my Peavey T-Max 500 for about 10 years, I think, I paid £165 for it second hand. It has a Tube pre-amp and a solid state preamp, which are switchable or even combinable. I adore it. Last year I bought a Peavey 410TX to go with it, which I paid £45 for. Would like to get a Peavey 2x15 one day too.
They're heavy but, the way I see it, my back is already buggered, I probably couldn't lift a lightweight cab on my own anyway, without risking further damage, so if I'm going to have to have help I might as well get something that sounds just as good but is a hell of a lot cheaper.

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1347044514' post='1796463']
Like most above have said, good solid workhorses that weigh the same.

From your other thread, you're looking for amp/cab or combo for @ £400. There's a lot of things out there that fits in your budget from Ashdown & Hartke to Peavey & so on.
I'd recommend a 2nd hand Markbass LMII head (usually @ £250 - £300 now) & get yourself a decent 2x10 with what's left & then add another 2x10 or upgrade the cab when funds allow.

Go & try some stuff & see what you get on best with. :)
[/quote]

Well, it looks as though, all being well, I'll be going for a Hartke HA3500 and a Peavey TX 210 cab all for £275. Bargain I reckon.