Why become a member? ×

First gig you went to - who was in the band?

paulconnolly

For those mentioning Mahogany Rush, Frank Marino was one of my main influences on bass, even though he played guitar. I always loved that fluidity he had, certainly on later recordings (the opposite of the staccato bass thing many go for) and worked long and hard on it back in the day.

First gig was Stan Kenton (ask Bilbo!), probably in my early teens. That's not counting my dad's big band. Followed IIRC by Buddy Rich, Woody Herman, Louis Bellson and then Buddy again, although I could be wrong with the order. No idea who was on bass at any of them and I've never got round to checking.

First rock gig was Hawkwind in'79 at Preston Guild Hall with Harvey Bainbridge on bass. They blew my head off! Around the same time I declined a ticket for AC/DC with Bon Scott on vocals saying I couldn't afford it and would catch them next time. Of course there never was a next time, which is a lesson in itself. Thankfully I didn't make that mistake with the Who and John Entwistle.

First saw Motorhead at Blackburn King George's Hall, also the first time I met Lemmy.

[quote name='clarkpegasus4001' timestamp='1346388433' post='1788604']

I used to play in a Wishbone Ash tribute band! My first gig was Automatic Fine Tuning at the Ritz Cinema Long Eaton, Nottingham late 1976, followed by Rush + Stray, Birmingham Odeon June 1977. AFT still my fave gig! :)
[/quote]

Respect!:-)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346373594' post='1788587']
Wishbone Ash, Fairfield Halls Croydon. 1975 or thereabouts.
With my schoolmate Barry Butler. His brother picked us up afterwards.
Happy days.
[/quote]

A [i]threesome[/i] at that age? ;)

It's interesting so many listing Gillan. I think it shows partly that a lot of us on here are of an age where we were just getting into rock in late 70's/early 80's and that Gillan were a bloody hard working band. I've posted this before but indeed it was Gillan for me too.Torme had just been sacked and Gers was in by the time I saw them in 1981. Tickets were about £5 and there were 2 support acts, Nightwing with the late Gordon Rowley on bass followed by Budgie (Burke Shelley) and finally Gillan with the unmistakeable McCoy.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1346364152' post='1788515']
That's where I saw the 'Crowes. It's a bit of a hole isn't it!
[/quote]

That's the place that Lemmy told me he remembered why they hadn't played there in years as soon as they started playing. Horrible acoustics.

I think a lot of us mention bands like Gillan and Maiden etc as, in those days (late 70s, early 80s), bands did 40 date UK tours and played Bristol, Cardiff, Swansea etc and everyone could afford to get there and see them. Remember the t-shirts with the dates listed on the back? It was affordable, a lot cheaper (not just because it was years ago and a gallon of petrol cost thruppence but because it took up a lot less of your disposable income. You could see one or even two of these touring bands every week in clubs and theatres like the Cardiff Top Rank, Bristol Colston Hall, local student's union bars etc). Now its three dates at the O2, two at the NEC and one 'oop North'. They used to bring the music to the people and the people came. Now the people are expected to go to them and pay at least £100-200 (inc travel, parking etc) for the privilege. No wonder computer games are more popular than music and live music is struggling.

My first proper gig was Rainbow at Stafford Bingley Hall in 1983 or 84. I am looking at the tour booklet now. I remember being astonished by the size, scale & volume of the whole thing. I moved down to London in 85 and started seeing as many bands as I could.
It was Roger Glover on bass of course. I can't recall what bass he played but I think he had a white Marshall rig.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1346353167' post='1788270']
The first gig I ever went to was Rockpile - Dave Edmunds & Nick Lowe - in about 1979 (my Mum took me, as our neighbour worked at the venue, and got us in for free).

So Nick Lowe on bass, well I suppose a decent enough starter.
[/quote]

Me too! Although it was in Norfolk.

(My memory is pretty shocking, though. It could have been Dr Feelgood or maybe even the Undertones.)

Little Angels, Young Gods tour at the UEA in Norwich, 1991. Remember it being loud, couldn't hear anything in school next day.

No idea who any of the band were so had to look it up, Mark Plunkett on bass. Apparently went on to manage Boyzone and Ronan Keating :huh: (Pre Louis I assume???)

My first gig was Iron Maiden, 1980 (I[i] think[/i]), the original line up with Cliver Burr, Dennis Stratton etc etc I went wearing my school unifom, no idea why. I remember thinking........[i] I wonder what you're supposed to wear[/i]? It was amazing to a young lad to see something like that, and I've been a rocker ever since.

I think mine was Thin Lizzy at the Glasgow Apollo Johnny the Fox tour around 76. Still have the programme for it. I think the support was a band called Clover.
Phil Lynott, Scott Gorham, Brian Robertson and Brian Downie - the best line up and what a performance.

Dave

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346402080' post='1788684']
Yes I saw Gillan too at Essex Uni and Budgie at the Winning Post, Witton.
I remember Budgie as one if the best live bands I've seen. But I've seen Burke Shelley interviewed on TV in recent years and sadly thought he came across as a bit of a....berk.
[/quote]

I still love Budgie,my fav band, They were the SECOND band I saw,accidentally,I had gone to see stan webs' Chicken shack but their van had broken down(Yeah right! ;) ) and we were given free tickets for the next week.
Budgie blew me away!!!! I went out the next day and bought an albumn and proceeded to purchase every one in the 70's and 80's.

I learned to play bass by copying Burke Shelly....I met him and he was ok...ish ....but I have met others who say he is a bit too...erm..."self important".
He still is a hero for me though!
Sorry for the meandering I will let you all get on with remembering your first gigs now. :ph34r:

Anthrax & Public Enemy @ The Brixton academy about '92

I went on a coach & it was my first time in London......I was terrified of London

what an amazing gig though
So
Joey Belladonna
Scott Ian (Who i worshipped as a god)
Charlie Benante
Frank Bello
Dan Spitz
Flavour Flav
Chuck D
Terminator X

Edited by fumps

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1346402080' post='1788684']
Yes I saw Gillan too at Essex Uni and Budgie at the Winning Post, Witton.
I remember Budgie as one if the best live bands I've seen. But I've seen Burke Shelley interviewed on TV in recent years and sadly thought he came across as a bit of a....berk.
[/quote]

and now i'm in a Budgie tribute band...... you and I must have simular tastes then :lol: Burke apparently is an odd one, I havn't met him, but i have met Tony Bourge, Ray Philips, Pete Boot, and Simon Lees, all nice guys. B)

a quick look at the history books shows these as a quick sample

Dire Straits, Brothers In Arms tour 1985 (John Illsley)
Queen, Knebworth 1986 (John Deacon)
Simple Minds Wembley Arena and Milton Keynes Bowl,1986 (Derek Forbes or John Giblin?)
Sting Wembley Arena, 1987 (Tracy Wormworth)

All good sterling company I'm sure you'll agree but it was seeing Peter Gabriel at Earls Court in 1987 with Tony Levin that really started the beginnings of the germ of a seed of an idea that bass playing was pretty cool. The penny dropped during "The Family And The Fishing Net".

First concert I ever saw was in the beursschouwburg in Brussels..A friend took me along to see an unknown Irish band which came for the first time to Belgium.. They had to add a local support act to fill the hall since they couldn't fill it on their own.
U2 was just amazing that night and had just released "Boy".

[b]and now i'm in a Budgie tribute band.[/b]..... you and I must have simular tastes then :lol: Burke apparently is an odd one, I havn't met him, but i have met Tony Bourge, Ray Philips, Pete Boot, and Simon Lees, all nice guys. B)

Let me know when you are gigging I will do my damndest to be there!!!

[quote name='Paulgm1' timestamp='1346360142' post='1788426']
Gillan - Southampton Gaumont with John McCoy on bass. All I remember is it being bloody loud!
[/quote]

A fine venue, spent many a gig there when I was at the Uni. Memorable gigs included The Who, Thin Lizzy, Peter Gabriel, The Tubes...