Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

The decline of Bass player magazine

arthurhenry

I'm surprised this topic hasn't come up after the recent change of format, which seems to utilise huge amounts of white space and wide margins in order to increase the page count. The reviews, features and columns are much less detailed and useful than they uesd to be and interviews seem to focus more on the subject's life story than their playing. I've been reading Bass Player since 1990 and feel it has kept up a high standard through several changes of editor. However, the last couple of years have been shaky and the last couple of issues, very poor in my opinion. I'm aware that some former editors have commented on problems of the attitude, lack of passion and subject knowledge of the publishers, but this obviously won't be admitted to in the mag!

There's only so much you say/write about bass playing/bass guitars and stuff. I think that's the problem.

They had what looked like the same bloke on the cover two months running - a heavy metal guy. When I looked closer I realised he was a different person. But I didn't really care. At all.

[quote name='mep' timestamp='1346183475' post='1786285']
Joel McIver, the new editor, has recently joined BassChat and may repsond to this thread. He came in with quite a flurry of responses initially, but I don't know how active he is at the moment.
[/quote]
He's the editor of Bass guitar magazine, not Bass Player.

Edit: Would be good to read his thoughts though!

Edited by arthurhenry

[quote name='owen' timestamp='1346190942' post='1786436']
I have not read any bass comics fior years, but pre-www you have no idea how exciting BP was!
[/quote]

Yep, the 'pre-www' comment applies to loads of magazines. Must be a nightmare to be in the printed media business these days. I've read that most newspapers already run at a loss and only survive by being subsidised by other parts of their media empires.

The Times' great 'paywall' experiment seems not to have been the total disaster widely predicted (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2012/feb/15/times-digital-subscribers-rise), which perversely might even hasten the demise of printed editions.

I cancelled my subscription to BP a couple of years ago when it lost about 30 pages, decreased in size and upped the ad content. Plus, I would flick through it in about 5 minutes and be done.

I do buy Bass Guitar magazine and enjoy reading it, although it does have it's faults. I think it's commendable that the editor should become a member on here and welcome comments and criticism.

I think these magazines seem to run out of ideas and feature the same names over and over - probably worse in the guitar magazines. I have an occasional flick when I see them on the supermarket shelves, but Slash, Vai, Eric Johnson and a bunch of old blues guys just seem to take shifts doing the covers for them all.

I think there's far more value in the real human opinions and input you get from discussing the topics on a place like this, I can't see those kind of niche publications lasting much longer unless they can offer something unique that isn't available elsewhere. When you can interact directly with a lot of big name players through social media, listening to them trot out the same formulaic interview to a magazine just isn't appealing.

I'd imagine that finding new content for a monthly niche magazine* would be quite difficult. A 'Bass' magazine would be a better idea - it could then incorporate sections on double bass (and associated techniques) and synth bass (including programming and synthesis tips) would be easier to fill and might attract a wider readership.

Just an idea.

[size=2]*yes, I've heard of 'readers' wives', but I'm not talking about [i]that[/i] sort of magazine...[/size]

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1346235068' post='1786734']
I'd imagine that finding new content for a monthly niche magazine* would be quite difficult. A 'Bass' magazine would be a better idea - it could then incorporate sections on double bass (and associated techniques) and synth bass (including programming and synthesis tips) would be easier to fill and might attract a wider readership.

Just an idea.

[size=2]*yes, I've heard of 'readers' wives', but I'm not talking about [i]that[/i] sort of magazine...[/size]
[/quote]
This is what Bass Player does, just not as well as it used to. I think there is a value in info and opinions being presented in a way that's been put together and edited by experts in their field, rather than the sometimes random nature of internet forums and comments. (Which are also useful).

[quote name='mike257' timestamp='1346234028' post='1786717']I have an occasional flick when I see them on the supermarket shelves[/quote]

Sssh! Some BCers will get all Jeremy Clarkson on you for doing that!
[size=1]Though I do it [i]occasionally[/i] myself[/size]

[quote name='arthurhenry' timestamp='1346185319' post='1786322']
He's the editor of Bass guitar magazine, not Bass Player.

Edit: Would be good to read his thoughts though!
[/quote]

Opps, good pickup thanks. :blush:

I have reduced my mag buying lately and I have not bought Bass Player or Q for a while.