Why become a member? ×

how do you do your mids?

LukeFRC

So.... well this is a big question - but the short one is, how do you guys (and girls) control/alter your mids?

The longer question is thus....
Before I played bass I used to do loads of PA and mixing desk- I love setting mids so things sound just right and fit in the mix well. It makes me happy to have 2-3 band parametric eq, if variable Q... even better!

my bass (the warwick) got new pickups and preamp in jan.
Loved the pickups not the pre which got sold within a month and the bass has been sat preamp less since.
Since then it's been sat looking sad without a preamp - do I go for the original one back in, or do I find a different pre that gives me more variability on the mids and tweaking the sounds? The ACG pre looks appealing.

It then struck me that the original 2 band eq is part of the sound of the bass (plus I like how it sounds) and maybe the flexibility in the mids could come from the amp (i'm thinking Eden, SWR or Thunderfunk who have multi band semi parametric mids) or an additional box in the effects loop or otherwise of my amp.
Or should I just shut up and just play the damn thing and stop trying to tweak?
but asking 'what should I do' is naval gazing and... well dull....

so the question is, how do you guys do it?

I use an East J Retro in my fretted 5 string and a home-made 3 band EQ on my fretless. I made it to work on the 500Hz, 1.6kHz and 6kHz frequencies - very mid-orientated (apart from the 6k) and it seems to be going well so far.

My amp (Hartke LH500) doesn't really offer much in the way of mids, other than cutting them, so it's nice to be able to do it from the bass.

[quote name='paul_5' timestamp='1343915277' post='1757257']
My amp (Hartke LH500) doesn't really offer much in the way of mids, other than cutting them, so it's nice to be able to do it from the bass.
[/quote]

Interesting comment, and would be inclined to agree - plenty of room at either end of the spectrum, but less so for working on the mids.

A bit of a co-incidence, a thread on this subject cropping up as I was going to start one called “problem frequencies”

I recently bought an EBS Reidmar as a light-weight replacement for my SVT 4-Pro.
I found that with the 4-Pro, the area around 800/900 Hz was where I needed to cut slightly to stop my 4001 sounding…. well, clanky.
I also used the Ultra Lo switch to boost the bass at 50Hz, the upper frequencies at 5kHz and further cut the mids at 560Hz. (And yes, I did have to look these figures up).

With the Reidmar I found that, ultimately, I had to do a similar thing with the settings, using the Ultra Lo equivalent, which is called “Character”, but does pretty much the same job.
There is also a continuously variable mid-selector which I ended up setting at about 800hz and cutting slightly.

I changed amps for no other reason than weight, not because I was unhappy with the sound I was getting. Far from it.
It was only natural that I would look for the same sound from the Reidmar. I was however, slightly surprised that I had to do more or less the same thing with the amp settings to get the same (similar) sound as the Ampeg.

As well as a preference/taste thing, I guess it’s a guitar thing too.
Seems reasonable to suppose most guitars will produce frequencies that are not to our taste and we will try to eliminate them.
My own procedure for setting the guitar is quite simple:- both pick-ups on, volume and treble flat out.
Everything else is done from the amp.

In conclusion, the short answer to your short question is…. “cut”

oddly, I do pretty much naff all with my mids :P haha. I use channel 1 on my Landmark, which is modelled on the Sansamp BDDI, and as such has no mid control. I have the drive, bass and treble all at pretty much 12 o'clock, blend at full and presence at 3 o'clock. This gives me a very ampeggy sound, and I have never had a problem cutting through.

[quote name='beely' timestamp='1343916204' post='1757279']
In conclusion, the short answer to your short question is…. “cut”
[/quote]

My bass has naturally a lot of low end and high end.Most of that I want, it's more giving it a wee push in the mids - and in the right place in the mids, I'm after. (or cutting at the right place in the (high mids?) and finding the best thing to do that)

I adjust the pickup pan and playing position / style to get all the variation in the mids i could ever want. The 2 band, boost only preamp on the sadowsky is the best ive come across for finding a sound that just works wherever you set it! Especially in a live setting :) plus its dead simple, i dont think having a mid control would add anything usefull to my setup :)

Good luck on your preamp hunt mate :)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1343918394' post='1757322']
I just play... and there they are.
[/quote]
you're normally more opinionated on do's and don't that that! I actually wrote the names of a couple of folk who I thought would have good advice then took it out of the OP, you being one of them!

If it gets to the point where you need to buy something there are small boxes like the Presonus EQ3B (which has apparently been discontinued, but you get the idea) that sit in the effects loop of the amp.

[quote name='Jack' timestamp='1343918978' post='1757332']
If it gets to the point where you need to buy something there are small boxes like the Presonus EQ3B (which has apparently been discontinued, but you get the idea) that sit in the effects loop of the amp.
[/quote]

ah that sorta thing might sort me out! :) weighs almost as much as my amp mind! :D

[quote name='razze06' timestamp='1343924925' post='1757442']
That sounds like a "how long is a piece of string" question to me, LukeFRC.

Certain songs require a more aggressive presence, others need big smooth and pillowy sound...
[/quote]

it was more, what do folk do to change it.
Plus your view doesn't count as you play a T40 and theres nothing that bass can't do just as it is

;)

My speaker cab is quite "middy", so on My GK MB Fusion I keep all the eq at 12 o`clock, including the Contour. This lowers the mids, and boosts lows and highs, giving a scoop to the sound, otherwise I find I`m in the way of the guitars.

Edited by Lozz196

I usually seem to get what I'm looking for (slight upper-mid boost) from slightly favouring the bridge pick-up.
Changing hand position/technique alters the sound a lot too.
Best basses I've encountered for mid-tinkering:

Ibanez EDB 600 - Just a straight 3band, but the mid frequency was just right for me
Vigier Passion s3 - Quasi Parametric Eq - like a giant mid sweep. Nails the sweet spot, but the boost is too much @ 15dB
Bongo - The 4-band is great IMO.

Anything with a mid frequency sweep and level control ought to do it, though. Especially if it has adjustable Bass/Treble frequency points.

Can't stand the Ultra-high/lo or pre-shapes on amps. Too inflexible.