Why become a member? ×

Bridges - BBOT vs hiMass

I think in a lot of these cases the person hears whatever they want to hear. I've been through that and now I only replace bridges for functional reasons like better adjustment options rather than tonal options, which to my mind are ill-defined and a bit spurious in the grand scheme of things.

To my ears you lose that classic vintage Fender sound as soon as you start upgrading any of the cheap junk Fender put on their basses, so I've gone back to the BBOT on my Precisions and Jazzes having tried Badass, Schaller and others.

You're probably right to say a high mass bridge is more suited to a Jazz, once you start blending the pickups it has a more scooped sound and I've a feeling the extra mass helps that along by taking some of the edge of the treble and some of the clank out of the bass frequencies.

But it's not going to make a noticeable difference in tone to anyone in the audience, it's probably all a bit pointless really.

I use one of these on my Jazz and I find that I've got a bit more of a crunchy, 'bitey' sound.

[IMG]http://i1221.photobucket.com/albums/dd471/paul_510/images-2.jpg[/IMG]

The OP is right though, I doubt it would have the same effect on a P bass.

can't stand them.
Big old chunky ones are fine as aftermarket items. But why they would make them standard on all fenders I don't know.

Also, bug bear of mine- BBOT bridges- described as flimsy.

FLIMSY

have you ever heard of one being bent out of shape in normal playing? criky, lets ask someone with an old one, Hey Rick's Fine... on all your vintage basses, anything bent out of shape? anything?
flimsy my arse!

Yes, having had hi-mass bridges on both Precisions and Jazzes, imo, they detract from the sound on a Precision, as they seem to add more bottom and top end, combined with removing mids, but because of this, are a good addition to a Jazz.

I used to have a Badass MkII on my MIM Precision, thought it was a vast improvement on the tone at the time- however the stock pickups were a pile of rubbish. After putting usable pickups in there I ended up replacing it with a Gotoh 201, and putting the Badass on my Jazz- problem solved! Definitely agree with high mass for jazz, lower mass for precision. Not a massive fan of stock Fender bridges though.

I hate to admit it, but I think Badass II's are a little overrated, Gotoh 201's do the same job for half the money. Only problem is they don't look... well, badass!

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341856360' post='1725233']
can't stand them.
Big old chunky ones are fine as aftermarket items. But why they would make them standard on all fenders I don't know.

Also, bug bear of mine- BBOT bridges- described as flimsy.

FLIMSY

have you ever heard of one being bent out of shape in normal playing? criky, lets ask someone with an old one, Hey Rick's Fine... on all your vintage basses, anything bent out of shape? anything?
flimsy my arse!
[/quote]

All my basses have the BBOT, 3 are over 55 years old, 2 are 44 years old, 2 are 30 years old, the others, well, less so. All hold tune perfectly, not a twist or bend in sight. They look right, and still work as well today as when first manufactured. Intonation on all is perfect, and I've never had to re-set any of them.

Personally wouldn't touch a badass with a barge-pole, ghastly looking things. You only need two-way adjustment to set the intonation on a string, height and length, which i think, both styles of bridge offer. Never had an issue with a BBOT. I've read some people have had issues though, although personally can't imagine why?

Its all about personal experience, and taste though innit?! :P

[quote name='SlapbassSteve' timestamp='1341857194' post='1725255']
I used to have a Badass MkII on my MIM Precision, thought it was a vast improvement on the tone at the time- however the stock pickups were a pile of rubbish. After putting usable pickups in there I ended up replacing it with a Gotoh 201, and putting the Badass on my Jazz- problem solved! Definitely agree with high mass for jazz, lower mass for precision. [b]Not a massive fan of stock Fender bridges though.[/b]

I hate to admit it, but I think Badass II's are a little overrated, Gotoh 201's do the same job for half the money. Only problem is they don't look... well, badass!
[/quote]

why? I'm pretty sure I've owned basses with most the aftermarket bridges around... what don't stock fender bridges do that some of these other options do do?
I think you either go Hi-mass and in effect decouple the strings from the body or you go for a low mass bridge like the BBOT, or something in-between.
For Hi-mass.... Peavey T40 takes some beating. Fender works fine otherwise

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1341862385' post='1725373']
why? I'm pretty sure I've owned basses with most the aftermarket bridges around... what don't stock fender bridges do that some of these other options do do?
I think you either go Hi-mass and in effect decouple the strings from the body or you go for a low mass bridge like the BBOT, or something in-between.
For Hi-mass.... Peavey T40 takes some beating. Fender works fine otherwise
[/quote]

I think the problem with them is the fact that there isn't really anything keeping the saddles straight. Obviously newer versions have grooves cut in to keep them in place which is good. Personally I prefer bridges that have saddles that are held in place by long screws with springs though, the reason being that it is a lot easier to adjust the intonation on such bridges.

[quote name='EdwardHimself' timestamp='1341862965' post='1725384']
I think the problem with them is the fact that there isn't really anything keeping the saddles straight. Obviously newer versions have grooves cut in to keep them in place which is good. Personally I prefer bridges that have saddles that are held in place by long screws with springs though, the reason being that it is a lot easier to adjust the intonation on such bridges.
[/quote]

+1 -Agree about the lack of saddle grooves.

Main reason I'm not keen on stock bridges compared to higher mass ones though isn't so much the sound, on my jazzes I can feel the entire bass resonating when I pluck a string compared to before I installed the heavier bridge. Going back to a regular bridge after that I feel like something's missing when I play it, it doesn't seem to resonate properly. Probably varies from bass to bass though!

I have to say I was slightly taken in by the hype and fitted a badass to my S1 jazz. Not sure how much difference it really makes but seems pointless taking it off now as I like the overrall tone. However when I got a precision deluxe from a similar year of manufacture I didn't bother with the uprade as the P sounds massive as it is. Also it would require another badass III for thru body strings and by the time I got the P they were getting scarce and pricey.

I have had them where the saddles move across the back plate and where the screws unwind themselves until the saddle is sitting on the skunt, whether other people have or have not even after 50 years or are in some way offended by that makes no difference to me, my basses are mine theirs are theirs as long as we are happy with our own basses it's all cool.

Plus like Wayne says my Badass looks cool :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1341869703' post='1725533']
I have had them where the saddles move across the back plate and where the screws unwind themselves until the saddle is sitting on the skunt, whether other people have or have not even after 50 years or are in some way offended by that makes no difference to me, my basses are mine theirs are theirs as long as we are happy with our own basses it's all cool.

Plus like Wayne says my Badass looks cool :D
[/quote]

Like I said, it's all about personal taste.....although you're wrong, they are anything but cool! :P :lol:

Just to lower the intellectual tone for a moment (I'm good at that!)... What exactly does BBOT stand for and who coined that particular phrase?

I'm guessing it is "Bent Bit Of Tin", but that would be a guess indeed.

My GL jazz features a Badass II. Why would Fender fit them as standard if they added nothing to the sound? Or is it simply because Geddy's original '72 J has one on? In which case, I wonder why he fitted one if it makes little difference other than to make a J sound even more scooped... :blink:

I need a cup of tea. :(

I changed the original bridge on my Squier JV for a gotoh 201 (it was cheaper than the 203) because the original bridge was appalling for string alignment.

My Steve Harris P has a factory fitted BadAss II and the bass looks and sounds great.

Edited by bartelby