Why become a member? ×

High Action

Hobbayne

A bass playing mate of mine came round the other day while I was restringing and setting up the Mexican P I got from Lojo. He had a go on it and handed it back saying he couldnt play it as the action was too high. I though that was odd as I like it like that.
Anyway we measured the E string height at the 12th fret as it was 5mm.
Is this considered high?

5mm Jayzus!! :lol:

I just checked mine (using allen keys as a feeler gauge) and they are all about 3mm at the moment but thats high for some people and all of mine are due a truss rod tweak due to this humid weather, I would aim for 2.5 at the 12th fret under all my strings when setting up generally.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

I suppose it`s what each of us think as high. I always thought I had my action quite high, just measured it, and it`s about 3mm. Anything less than that, and cos I hit the strings quite hard, I just get fret-buzz-mungus!

I set each of my instruments up differently according to how they sound best. Whilst the Vigier will go super-low, it chokes a little in the upper registers, so I've raised it to about 2.2 mm beneath the B@12th. The Status sounds great all the way down at <2 mm. As a rule of thumb, I'd say go as low as you can with your playing style without buzz, clang or choke joining the party...

[quote name='Hobbayne' timestamp='1341065261' post='1713399']
A bass playing mate of mine came round the other day while I was restringing and setting up the Mexican P I got from Lojo. He had a go on it and handed it back saying he couldnt play it as the action was too high. I though that was odd as I like it like that.
Anyway we measured the E string height at the 12th fret as it was 5mm.
Is this considered high?
[/quote]

High?

VERY high! :lol:

(for me)

[b]Depends on your style of playing dude, if we were all the same the world would be a boring place ,[/b]
[b]I've raised my action on all my basses in the last month and the tone has improved massively , [/b]
[b]sounds much better in the band mix and i am loving it, [/b]

5mm.... that would be very high for me. I'm a 2.5mm sort of guy.
But, rather than considering whether 5mm is high or not, I would check if this is caused by a high bridge position, or an overly curved neck.
If it's 5mm because the neck is too curved, then I would adjust the truss rod.
If it's 5mm because of the bridge, then it's your choice.

The action on my Ibby is currently just under 4mm. I used to have it down @ 2mm & it's a little easier to move around scales with the lower action, but nothing drastic.
If it was lower or higher & I struggled to play the instrument, then I think more practice on my part would be required.

I've always hit the strings quite hard so I was very happy with the high action on the Lakland. When the Lull turned up it had a very low action. My first reaction was to make it the same as the Lakland, but instead of changing the Lull I changed my technique. Now I use a light touch and I find I prefer playing that way.

[quote name='Evil Undead' timestamp='1341066297' post='1713415']
I'm a fan of super low action at the 12th - My Fender is G 1.2mm, D 1.4mm, A 1.6mm and E 1.8mm.

I had to shim the neck slightly to get it that low but it's worth it! .
[/quote]He likes low action, but dead necks dont seem to bother him ;) ;) ;)